DMo to SC

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
He’s the team chaplain. Motivational speaker? LOL.
“Essentially a motivational speaker”
Left out a keyword there. Like I said, I’ve met DMo many times. He’s a great man. Players love him. But I don’t think raising money for what is “essentially a motivational speaker” is what GTAA should be worried about right now.

Deleted member 2897

“Essentially a motivational speaker”
Left out a keyword there. Like I said, I’ve met DMo many times. He’s a great man. Players love him. But I don’t think raising money for what is “essentially a motivational speaker” is what GTAA should be worried about right now.

Yea I know, that’s what I was shaking my head at. You should go ask the coaches or players how DMo spends his team and what he means to them. It’s not writing and delivering speeches.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yea I know, that’s what I was shaking my head at. You should go ask the coaches or players how DMo spends his team and what he means to them. It’s not writing and delivering speeches.
I know what DMo does lmao. I’ve been in locker rooms he’s delivered speeches in. I’ve spoken to players about him. My point is that raising money to keep him should not be a priority when there are so many other things and personnel that money could be spent on that will directly impact performance on the field, i.e facilities and coaching personnel.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Should raising money to extend what is essentially a motivational speaker’s contract really be a priority right now? DMo is great. I’ve met him multiple times, and there are both current and former players that sing his praises. But I think there are far more important causes to be addressed. Plus, it doesn’t look like these reports are accurate anyway given how quickly they were taken down.
Lets put it this way. For me it goes beyond whoever the current head coach is. CGC has yet to prove he is capable of using any of my donations wisely so I don't donate anymore to football. . But I would donate in a heart beat for DMo to stay at Tech. Yes I do realize the money may go into the same pool, but I would try to help to keep him.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Should raising money to extend what is essentially a motivational speaker’s contract really be a priority right now? DMo is great. I’ve met him multiple times, and there are both current and former players that sing his praises. But I think there are far more important causes to be addressed. Plus, it doesn’t look like these reports are accurate anyway given how quickly they were taken down.
I hope it’s not true. We should never let talent walk in any staff position if we can prevent it. Particularly when we ardently espouse culture & who more embodies GT’s culture that Derrick Moore. Ask any of your non-GT associates who their team Chaplain is. Bet you get a blank stare. He’s part of GT’s brand.

I don’t what he’s paid but it’s probably less than $30k/yr. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was half that. I’m sure he makes a lot more money with Coke, Fedex, etc than he does GT. One email blast and he’d be fully paid for.

We should not be letting USCe steal staff for a few bucks. That’s just crazy.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It'd suck to lose him because he is very good at what he does, but it is still a relatively minor position in the grand scheme of the program.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Ok....this tells me something is wrong.....

lol no it doesn’t.

DMo hasn’t been on the GTAA payroll for awhile maybe 2013. I’m pretty sure he was paid donations from FCA

But as @flea77 said, this is a big loss. DMo was the calming waters for the Institute. He was more than team chaplain. He was more like a therapist and never pushed religion on anyone. I can promise you DMo saved a lot lives from getting off course and prevented a lot of transfers too.

Essentially, he’s going UofSC with the same title but a part the Gamecocks AA payroll. I wish him the best

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
lol no it doesn’t.

DMo hasn’t been on the GTAA payroll for awhile maybe 2013. I’m pretty sure he was paid donations from FCA

But as @flea77 said, this is a big loss. DMo was the calming waters for the Institute. He was more than team chaplain. He was more like a therapist and never pushed religion on anyone. I can promise you DMo saved a lot lives from getting off course and prevented a lot of transfers too.

Essentially, he’s going UofSC with the title but a part the Gamecocks AA payroll. I wish him the best

I agree with this. How many of us ever stayed at the same job/pay grade for 9 years???? These people are no different than us, just trying to do the best they can to take care of their families. Why do we hold them to diferent standards??? I don't understand this.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
lol no it doesn’t.

Essentially, he’s going UofSC with the same title but a part the Gamecocks AA payroll. I wish him the best
Have you seen this anywhere other than the retracted 247 article? He was a pretty big part of our total person program if I understood correctly, so agree it’s bigger than a chaplain role he has played for the program. Hate to see him go, if it is happening. Happy for him if this was a positive for him though all the same.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I mean. He was here since chan gailey first year. Iirc. Maybe second. Best hire chan has made for gt. Thats literally here in total
Since 2002 or 2003 iirc? Man time flies.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Have you seen this anywhere other than the retracted 247 article? He was a pretty big part of our total person program if I understood correctly, so agree it’s bigger than a chaplain role he has played for the program. Hate to see him go, if it is happening. Happy for him if this was a positive for him though all the same.

He spoke with SC athletes for their winter workouts this morning or yesterday, but everything has been deleted

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Love LOVE DMo. He is an absolute inspiration as a person, no matter who you are. Would hate to see him leave GT, but also understand if he needs to go elsewhere for his own betterment.