Did we play Miami well?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Where did you get those points per drive stats? They seem not close to reality.

It's the number of points per drive inside the 40 (the scoring zone). Miami had 3 drives inside the 40, 21 points ... so that's 7. We had 5 drives inside the 40, also 21 points, so that's 4.2.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's the number of points per drive inside the 40 (the scoring zone). Miami had 3 drives inside the 40, 21 points ... so that's 7. We had 5 drives inside the 40, also 21 points, so that's 4.2.

OK. I've never seen that stat. Where did you get it?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I pulled it off the drive charts.

Where did you get the national average? Is it calculated somewhere or do you calculate it?

I calculate a points per drive stat for all drives not ending a half or with a safety. It's confusing if there's another stat where "drive" means inside the 40. However, I find it interesting. So, I was wondering where I could find it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Check out http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-georgia-tech-advanced-statistical-profile.

I had researched Bob Neyland's football profiles to get insight into how Bobby Dodd had approached the game. He in turn, simplified it to five maxims. Granted the game has evolved, but now with big data ... Dodd's framework has proven to be almost identical to those the statistical models use. Fun facts to churn at night while watching the Clemson game.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Check out http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-georgia-tech-advanced-statistical-profile.

I had researched Bob Neyland's football profiles to get insight into how Bobby Dodd had approached the game. He in turn, simplified it to five maxims. Granted the game has evolved, but now with big data ... Dodd's framework has proven to be almost identical to those the statistical models use. Fun facts to churn at night while watching the Clemson game.
I've never been able to figure out why Robert Neyland and Bobby Dodd hated each other so much. I think a lot of it was GT beating Tennessee 27-0 in 1947 and 34-13 in 1949.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I've never been able to figure out why Robert Neyland and Bobby Dodd hated each other so much. I think a lot of it was GT beating Tennessee 27-0 in 1947 and 34-13 in 1949.

I've heard all sorts of things. I had thought that Neyland wanted Dodd to work for him but when Tharpe visited and Dodd did the scouting report, that's when Tech hired Dodd. I never thought they hated each other, but all is fair in love and war.

If you read a lot about Neyland, you'll see Dodd's coaching style.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Hold it a second. We did what we had to do to get to the fourth quarter against Miami with a chance to win.

Remember, we obviously weren't trying to bomb them until the fourth. What we were trying to do is hold onto the ball. Which, btw, we did to the tune of 19 more minutes then da U. When you play someone like them in our O the main thing you want to do is keep their O off the field. Does that mean longer drives? Yep. Does it mean fewer points per drive? Probably. But the whole point is to keep the game close and try to be the last team with the ball.

Take away the two turnover TDs and that is exactly what we did. Both teams scored 21 points offensively, both had virtually identical production, we got 6 stops from the D, and we sat on the ball like a slug. That didn't help much after we got 14 behind by mistakes on successive series (hence the points per drive stats), but there is simply no doubt that we played well against them except for the two big mistakes.

If we play like that against Pitt - and I expect we will - we will have a great chance to win.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think we have a chance to win if ... we make fewer mistakes and we improve field position.

I don't think TOP is meaningful for a TO offense. Should be a good game.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I've heard all sorts of things. I had thought that Neyland wanted Dodd to work for him but when Tharpe visited and Dodd did the scouting report, that's when Tech hired Dodd. I never thought they hated each other, but all is fair in love and war.

If you read a lot about Neyland, you'll see Dodd's coaching style.
You make great points,Vespidae. Imagine if Bobby would have stayed at Tennessee i bet Bob Woodruff would have succeeded William Alexander in 1945

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

So it's not actually points per drive then.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think we have a chance to win if ... we make fewer mistakes and we improve field position.

I don't think TOP is meaningful for a TO offense. Should be a good game.

TOP may not be meaningful to a TO offense, but the point is that it is meaningful to slowing down the other team's offense (particularly prolific ones). That is the benefit of the stat.