Did we play Miami well?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I liked a lot of how we played in the Miami game. There were some good highlights and noticeable improvement overall. However, that last Miami TD killed us. It seems we just stood there flatfooted and let them go the distance in three plays with nearly no resistance. It was painful at the time and even worse in replay as you can see how poorly we executed our D. The fumble scoops may have cost us the game but that Miami TD drive was on us, not just a fluke like the scoops.

There is a time in the game where team has to step up. On that drive we fell flat and it cost us the chance to get back in the game. I hope it is the last of that kind of play I see.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I liked a lot of how we played in the Miami game. There were some good highlights and noticeable improvement overall. However, that last Miami TD killed us. It seems we just stood there flatfooted and let them go the distance in three plays with nearly no resistance. It was painful at the time and even worse in replay as you can see how poorly we executed our D. The fumble scoops may have cost us the game but that Miami TD drive was on us, not just a fluke like the scoops.

There is a time in the game where team has to step up. On that drive we fell flat and it cost us the chance to get back in the game. I hope it is the last of that kind of play I see.

4 plays ;)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I am a bit worried about how easily we let Miami go down and score on absolutely nothing but simple post routes like it was nothing. Ryan Switzer may Julio us if we don’t do something to protect the middle of the field. At a very minimum let Lance Austin play man on him all day even though I still think Switzer would eat his lunch with that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am a bit worried about how easily we let Miami go down and score on absolutely nothing but simple post routes like it was nothing. Ryan Switzer may Julio us if we don’t do something to protect the middle of the field. At a very minimum let Lance Austin play man on him all day even though I still think Switzer would eat his lunch with that.

I actually think Austin is good at man coverage with guys similar in size. Ryan Switzer is is only 5'9...same height as Austin. Where Austin struggles is with taller guys out on the perimeter. Other teams target him when he's out there and it's pretty painful to watch.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I actually think Austin is good at man coverage with guys similar in size. Ryan Switzer is is only 5'9...same height as Austin. Where Austin struggles is with taller guys out on the perimeter. Other teams target him when he's out there and it's pretty painful to watch.
I agree but Switzer is one of the best route runners in all of football. Probably better than 70% of the guys in the NFL already.

Take away those two scoop and scores, and it's a battle till the end. The D let us down on that last drive, but if not for those two fumble-TD's, we would have been controlling the tempo of the game, probably scoring more times than not, and I really don't think Miami would have been in any position for that last (or earlier) drive to matter.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure. Looking at the numbers, Miami led us on YDS/Play of 7.7 to 4.9. Our third down conversions were weak @ 25%, which YTD places us around 60 in FBS. We had no advantage on field position and Miami delivered 7.0 points per drive vs. GT's 4.2 ... which is also less than the national average of 4.7.

Overall, it tells me that yep - the fumbles hurt, no doubt that's the game - but on a numbers basis, we were weaker than Miami and in general, weaker than most teams. With our offense, we'd lose more than we'd win ... again, just based on the numbers. We really need to step it up. This will be an interesting week against Pitt.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Yes the ol played crisp.
Parker is awesome for a true freshman! His technique is text book. Not sure he is blocking the right guy but he gets somebody.
Nobody in lb and db looked good.hope we dont play passing teams.

I wonder if he will start as his upside is tremendous. I think sham should spell bryan and him in 3 rd and 4th quarter.

For the game I got a pass to go on sideline furing warm ups. Up close the Miami's players were slightly bigger than ours except for wide receivers. They look like nfl players - plus they had some very tall tight end/wr types.

I wish we had a couple of 6-5 230# wr types for possession passing plays and blocking in the bunch formation . Navy did tbis w senior 6'4 guys that could contain de for a few seconds as the guards and tackled pull.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure. Looking at the numbers, Miami led us on YDS/Play of 7.7 to 4.9. Our third down conversions were weak @ 25%, which YTD places us around 60 in FBS. We had no advantage on field position and Miami delivered 7.0 points per drive vs. GT's 4.2 ... which is also less than the national average of 4.7.

I'd go back and look at the points per drive numbers, because they aren't close to accurate.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Overall, it tells me that yep - the fumbles hurt, no doubt that's the game - but on a numbers basis, we were weaker than Miami and in general, weaker than most teams. With our offense, we'd lose more than we'd win ... again, just based on the numbers. We really need to step it up. This will be an interesting week against Pitt.

Where did you get those points per drive stats? They seem not close to reality.