Did Bobinski say we would reject a 5-7 bowl bid?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I don't want to be the first P5 team to accept a bowl bid at 5-7 nor do I want our program to keep touting the bowl streak if we sneak in in such a way. Its a little embarrassing.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
To me, the ONLY considerations should be whether the added practice time would benefit our players, and whether the continuous bowl streak would benefit our recruiting.

Otherwise, meh.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally, I don't want to be the first P5 team to accept a bowl bid at 5-7 nor do I want our program to keep touting the bowl streak if we sneak in in such a way. Its a little embarrassing.
In life you take the breaks when they present themselves since they dont come often or necessarily when earned...I always love the base ball analogy ....a pop fly base hit looks like a frozen rope in the box scoring....

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
In life you take the breaks when they present themselves since they dont come often or necessarily when earned...I always love the base ball analogy ....a pop fly base hit looks like a frozen rope in the box scoring....
Sorry....I'm still sore with the NCAA for taking away the acc championship because of a sweat suit .....that was returned!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Personally, I love Georgia Tech football and I'd love to see us play one more game...no matter how it happens...especially against a team we rarely get to play

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

If the players want to go, who cares how we feel? If we can get to a bowl at 5-7, and the players want to go, I say let them...

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I love Georgia Tech football and I'd love to see us play one more game...no matter how it happens...especially against a team we rarely get to play
I love GT football as well but i'm not sure the negative publicity is worth the chance to watch us play a 6-6 MAC team on a Tuesday afternoon in a game no one has ever heard of. There is something to be said for the extra practice time but I question how much quality practice you are going to get from a team full of guys who know they didn't really earn a trip to a bowl game nor do they care at all about the no name team they are playing.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He absolutely should say that, as the chances of us getting a bid are slim to none in that scenario.

......now if we actually are in that scenario and get a bid...he should accept it

Actually, the chances are quite high in that scenario. When 5-7 teams are considered, they rank them on GPR for consideration. We score quite well in that category. There was an article about this a few days ago. Can't seem to find it now, however.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I love GT football as well but i'm not sure the negative publicity is worth the chance to watch us play a 6-6 MAC team on a Tuesday afternoon in a game no one has ever heard of. There is something to be said for the extra practice time but I question how much quality practice you are going to get from a team full of guys who know they didn't really earn a trip to a bowl game nor do they care at all about the no name team they are playing.

I'm not sure what publicity you're talking about. We would be the only people watching the game, so I doubt there'd be a whole lot of negative publicity.

Most of the negative publicity right now stems from the total number of bowl games. Look...if they're going to have 30 bowl games, this is bound to happen. I don't really care if we're the first ones

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Some fans need to check their egos at the front door. It's comical imo to say it's "embarrassing" to play in a bowl game. These guys play the game for themselves and their teammates....not the fan that has a image problem. Think of the seniors on the team that may never play another down of organized football. Besides, I doubt the ACC would like losing money that would go into the conference coffers by any member turning down a bowl invitation.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Some fans need to check their egos at the front door. It's comical imo to say it's "embarrassing" to play in a bowl game. These guys play the game for themselves and their teammates....not the fan that has a image problem. Think of the seniors on the team that may never play another down of organized football. Besides, I doubt the ACC would like losing money that would go into the conference coffers by any member turning down a bowl invitation.
We would likely be in a bowl game that pays out about half a million dollars. After splitting the money that is minuscule. GT would actually lose a substantial amount of money attending the bowl game. As for the players, im not sure how they can get upset about not attending a bowl game when they are 5-7. They didn't really earn their way there so they really have no ground to demand it. This isn't all that different than a few years ago when our basketball team turned down an invitation to play in the end of season CBI tournament after not getting an NCAA or NIT invite. The players wanted to keep playing in that situation as well. The AD made the decision not to.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I can tell you I will be at Ford Field in Detroit if that's where we end up. I might be the only GT fan there but the other 2,700 MAC school fans will know who I'm rooting for. Lol

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why play in a bowl game?....... Why live? We are only gonna die anyway right? What is the point? You play the game because it is another chance to play. There are only so many chances in one's life to do so. End of story. If you don't like to play, you shouldn't be playing. I would give anything to play just one more game. When you can't do it anymore you appreciate its value. Life has meaning and games have meaning.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I had no idea at the Humanitarian Bowl I was going to watch PJ Daniels run for over 300 yds. What if we passed on the chance that day? I'm sure there's others. I'm quite sure he was glad we didn't.
There was no reason to turn that game down. We met the normal requirements of having a .500 record. We even did it with an OOC schedule that included UGA, BYU, Vandy, and Auburn. That's a little different than agreeing to be the first losing team to accept a bowl bid simply because there aren't enough winning teams to fill out a schedule.