Did Bobinski say we would reject a 5-7 bowl bid?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It costs the school a good amount of money to send the team to those low tier bowls, so I guess that's where he's coming from...but the biggest thing the bowl game does for young teams is give them more practices and one more game...assuming they take it seriously

Plus what's he gonna do, say "sure, we will take a bowl game at 5-7." That doesn't exactly instill confidence in your team or make your program look good

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Moot point, we ain't winning five games.

I'd be a little more positive and say that let's wait till we win five to worry about this. We can, but we have lost to worse teams than we have remaining on the schedule.

I would be interested in hearing a clip of exactly what Bobinski said. ADs are paid a lot to not answer questions they shouldn't be answering.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
If we go 5-7 we don't deserve to be in a bowl anyways.

Who are fans to say "we don't deserve a bowl game". Those games are for the players. They are the ones out their busting their asses every day and playing in pain. It's a nice way for players to get a little cash and some nice gifts. It's also a good selling point for recruits too. If they NCAA says we are eligible then we should except.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
If there are not enough eligible teams, then they can invite 5 win teams, iiuc.

Thanks. Looked it up and this has been in place since 2012. Guess we've never had to worry about it before now, which is why I was unaware of the change.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks. Looked it up and this has been in place since 2012. Guess we've never had to worry about it before now, which is why I was unaware of the change.

Incorrect. We had to appeal to get to the sun bowl against USC in 2012. We have definitely had to do this recently.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Incorrect. We had to appeal to get to the sun bowl against USC in 2012. We have definitely had to do this recently.
I thought the appeal was to get a win over an FCS to count towards the required six and not to get a bowl with only 5. I thought we were disagreeing over whether or not we had six wins and not about going bowling with five.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I don't really mind Bobinski taking that position but hope that it was done with CPJ's blessing.

At some point, we have to demonstrate that we do have some standards.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
He absolutely should say that, as the chances of us getting a bid are slim to none in that scenario.

......now if we actually are in that scenario and get a bid...he should accept it

Frankly, whether we would "deserve" it or not, I doubt that even the players would be all that fired up about going under such circumstances. We saw in C'ville how they play when they are not fired up, and they definitely were not fired up for the Cavs.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Frankly, whether we would "deserve" it or not, I doubt that even the players would be all that fired up about going under such circumstances. We saw in C'ville how they play when they are not fired up, and they definitely were not fired up for the Cavs.

I think every player on the team would be fired up about the possibility of playing in another game against an opponent that GT would probably never play unless in a bowl match up. I don't think some realize how much it takes or how hard these guys work to play this game. It's a true love of the game that makes them want to play.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
They replayed the interview this morning. He didn't exactly say we wouldn't go. He said his initial instinct is no. However, he said that they have not discussed it.

If I was a coach or in the administration, I would be telling the team that 5-7 isn't good enough at this point. If we do end up at 5-7 and get invited to one of the ACC tie-in bowls, I think they would have discussions and that the conference would put pressure on to attend. We won't know what GT would actually do unless we do go 5-7 and get an invite.