DeVon hopes to transfer to Miami

Animal02

Banned
I'm referring to the college game in 2014. Playing hard football is one thing but coaching your players to hurt someone to the point that they could be seriously hurt, possibly for life, (while not completely out of the realm of possibility) is probably not done on any significant scale. I'll bet it's not taught by PJ...nor David Cutcliff. Nor Mark Richt.
I am not saying it is wide spread, and very likely never done by a head coach.........but I also think may coaches don't discourage it either.....seems like certain teams always have players getting caught on film doing things.....like eye gouging in the pile.......or "pile driver" tackling.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I'm referring to the college game in 2014. Playing hard football is one thing but coaching your players to hurt someone to the point that they could be seriously hurt, possibly for life, (while not completely out of the realm of possibility) is probably not done on any significant scale. I'll bet it's not taught by PJ...nor David Cutcliff. Nor Mark Richt.
The only proof we can have is our crying eyes seeing what players do in games. Duke in 2 straight games has now demonstrated that it approves of its players intentionally trying to harm the opponents QB. That is either taught by the coaching staff (D most likely) or encouraged by very fact of not stopping it. Sure Richt likely doesn't demand the D try and injure Tech's QBs or skill players but year after year those players clearly and intentionally try and do just that. They just had D coordinator who got in trouble for making choking signs on the sidelines. What are you gonna believe? The evidence on tape or your desire to think well of Cutcliffe or Richt?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The only proof we can have is our crying eyes seeing what players do in games. Duke in 2 straight games has now demonstrated that it approves of its players intentionally trying to harm the opponents QB. That is either taught by the coaching staff (D most likely) or encouraged by very fact of not stopping it. Sure Richt likely doesn't demand the D try and injure Tech's QBs or skill players but year after year those players clearly and intentionally try and do just that. They just had D coordinator who got in trouble for making choking signs on the sidelines. What are you gonna believe? The evidence on tape or your desire to think well of Cutcliffe or Richt?
Of course I see things on TV. Until I hear someone come out and say that intentionally hurting someone (other than from clean hard-nose, legal play) comes down from the top, it will only leave me believing that it is a desire that mostly comes from the dirty player and perhaps a rogue coordinator or position coach. To say that head coaches on any meaningful level openly condone it is really beyond the pale.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Of course I see things on TV. Until I hear someone come out and say that intentionally hurting someone (other than from clean hard-nose, legal play) comes down from the top, it will only leave me believing that it is a desire that mostly comes from the dirty player and perhaps a rogue coordinator or position coach. To say that head coaches on any meaningful level openly condone it is really beyond the pale.

New Orleans Saints coaches were suspended, so it seems that somebody thought there was enough proof

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
New Orleans Saints coaches were suspended, so it seems that somebody though\was enough proof
New Orleans Saints coaches were suspended, so it seems that somebody thought there was enough proof
My point I've been pushing is that yes, the thugs in the NFL do it but in college...not so much. People saying it's the Cutcliff way. I've said that's nuts.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My point I've been pushing is that yes, the thugs in the NFL do it but in college...not so much. People saying it's the Cutcliff way. I've said that's nuts.

No worries. My bad. I misunderstood your reference to "head coaches on any meaningful level" as including the NFL.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
No worries. My bad. I misunderstood your reference to "head coaches on any meaningful level" as including the NFL.
I find that typing on tablets without a traditional keyboard doesn't lend to spending the right amount of time fully explaining one's point. :)

I'm spending more time on my tablet now that my old laptop bit the dust and it seems that my thoughts get abbreviated.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
I wish it were that way; that's the way it should be.

But my opinion/what I've seen/what I've heard and read is that if one has a particularly nasty player or players on defense, who might just be inclined to do such things anyway, then some position coaches => ^ defensive coordinators => ^ head coaches will either overlook it or just look the other way at the appropriate time.

Again IMO only the way to eliminate it is for the calls to be made when they happen and the penalties (or ejections) take place on the spot (like it wasn't in the Duke game). Hurt the team's game effort and a stop will be put to it.

Animal02

Banned
I wish it were that way; that's the way it should be.

But my opinion/what I've seen/what I've heard and read is that if one has a particularly nasty player or players on defense, who might just be inclined to do such things anyway, then some position coaches => ^ defensive coordinators => ^ head coaches will either overlook it or just look the other way at the appropriate time.

Again IMO only the way to eliminate it is for the calls to be made when they happen and the penalties (or ejections) take place on the spot (like it wasn't in the Duke game). Hurt the team's game effort and a stop will be put to it.

That.....AND the ACC or the NCAA start reviewing games films for that sort of behavior and start passing out suspensions after the fact......and make it multiple games for 2 + infractions. ......that should put a stop to the majority of it.