Despite all the squawk you've heard from Temple fans on here-

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Agree you can't draw many conclusions from 2 years at Temple. We do know they wanted to keep him.

Those 2 years are valuable head coaching experience, but not the primary reason he got the job, anyway. He knows Tech and knows recruiting in the Southeast.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It’s definitely a good indicator.

Actually, it is an indicator he was a good ASSISTANT coach.;)

But did you guys even see the presser?

I mean, sure, with CPJ we hired a guy who had won national championships at the Div1-AA level and had turned a doormat Navy team into a perennial bowl team which had defeated a decent ND team. He went on to be the ACC coach of the year 3 times, national coach of the year once, won an Orange Bowl playing in two, and went 500 against teams that were ranked in the top 10 when we played them. We finished with either a 1st or 2nd place record in the Coastal Division 7 times during his 11 years, including his last. Only CU, FSU, and vpi have done as well by that metric.

Still, how can that stack up to the presser we just saw from CGC?

Seriously, though, this is what I posted in the reaction to his hiring thread:
Yeah, I concluded pretty quickly that the pressure against the option foundation was too strong.

CGC at least checks all the boxes that I'd look for, so I'm as happy as could be without it being a cpj guy.

Somehow, if we don't agree with those who want to continue to bash CPJ, we must hate CGC.

Regardless of what these guys say, I'm a GT fan and I want CGC to succeed, but I swear some of these guys are making it really tempting to give them what they've been giving us over the last several months and, for some of them, years.

Animal02

Banned
But did you guys even see the presser?

I mean, sure, with CPJ we hired a guy who had won national championships at the Div1-AA level and had turned a doormat Navy team into a perennial bowl team which had defeated a decent ND team. He went on to be the ACC coach of the year 3 times, national coach of the year once, won an Orange Bowl playing in two, and went 500 against teams that were ranked in the top 10 when we played them. We finished with either a 1st or 2nd place record in the Coastal Division 7 times during his 11 years, including his last. Only CU, FSU, and vpi have done as well by that metric.

Still, how can that stack up to the presser we just saw from CGC?

Seriously, though, this is what I posted in the reaction to his hiring thread:

Somehow, if we don't agree with those who want to continue to bash CPJ, we must hate CGC.

Regardless of what these guys say, I'm a GT fan and I want CGC to succeed, but I swear some of these guys are making it really tempting to give them what they've been giving us over the last several months and, for some of them, years.
Nothing against the new coach....it was posted that he was nominated or one awards for being an assistant coach. That was equated with being a good (head) coach. I have known several people that excelled at a supporting role and failed miserably as the big cheese. I was simply pointing out the flawed logic conclusion. Not inferring anything negative toward the new coach.

I will add, I have had to deal with the "sales type " personality all my life dealing with vendors. They all come across sounding great ....but you find that half a full of crap while the other half are just good. I have a wait and see viewpoint...hope for the best, but am not expecting it.