Depth Chart

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Guys let's agree to one thing: The Depth Chart released this PM says "Offense (Spread Option)". Please do not call the offense a triple option.
Thanks

Triple Option is a single play. Most GT fans, at least the ones in the know recognize this. It irritates me to no end when our offense is referred to as the triple option.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"Not to belabor semantics..."

I agree, but since we are on the subject. A lot of the running plays have two options. So it is an option offense. Just not a "triple" option, except for 2 plays.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I'm really impressed with PJ Davis. Awesome that he is the #2.
Yea especially after temple was his next best offer. Seems like he has a chip on his shoulder, and told CPJ that he would be the best recruit of his class. I have really high expectations for a guy who barely made the team, but think he's gonna be a pleasant suprise to us all.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
After looking at that, I am pretty nervous about our DL being pushed around and our S position. Wow really hope Johnson comes back soon. I didn't know he was out...
D Line concerning me too. Gotsis is down to 277? Gamble is almost in the 260s. I don't care what they weigh if they play the position, but these guys look like they're wasting away. Does anyone know if this what Roof/Pelton want from their NT/DTs?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
D Line concerning me too. Gotsis is down to 277? Gamble is almost in the 260s. I don't care what they weigh if they play the position, but these guys look like they're wasting away. Does anyone know if this what Roof/Pelton want from their NT/DTs?
It's by design. It has to be. Guys just don't lose weight for kicks, there's a reason behind it and it's usually by coaches orders.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
GTs front seven is light, Roof is not going to have a choice but blitz. Even still I think they will struggle against the run this year because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I won't lie, this bothers me as well. I would much rather have bigger guys. It seems to be a recurring challenge for Tech to recruit the linemen who have size but are also athletic. I can remember many Tech vs. UGA games where the visible difference in size between the two teams was striking. Our guys looked like midgets out there.

So which do you choose? Do you want big dudes out there who take up space but don't move well? Or would you rather have guys that are a bit lighter in weight but are athletic enough to gain an extra half step firing off the line or be able to run down skill guys in the backfield? In a perfect world, you have both of course. Given that our guys are smaller, I am at least glad that Roof and Pelton seem to be hammering on fundamentals and technique. If you have a D-line that is small and has sloppy technique, then you are really screwed.

As a fan, I have to hope that Roof and Pelton are doing the best job they can with the players they have right now and are going to work toward more success recruiting those ideal defensive linemen. I suppose we'll find that out in the next two to three recruiting cycles.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
It's by design. It has to be. Guys just don't lose weight for kicks, there's a reason behind it and it's usually by coaches orders.
I agree. But it just seems like madness to take Gotsis from 300 down to 270. Is that really going to help his game? Gamble should be putting pounds on that 6'5" frame...not taking them off. I'm hoping the coaches know something about playing NT/DT that I haven't yet heard of....

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I agree. But it just seems like madness to take Gotsis from 300 down to 270. Is that really going to help his game? Gamble should be putting pounds on that 6'5" frame...not taking them off. I'm hoping the coaches know something about playing NT/DT that I haven't yet heard of....

I'd like to think Gostis trimmed all the "bad fat" and is now a living breathing Australian Hercules...

UrinatesOnDawgs

Georgia Tech Fan
[quote="jchens_GT, post:

So which do you choose? Do you want big dudes out there who take up space but don't move well? Or would you rather have guys that are a bit lighter in weight but are athletic enough to gain an extra half step firing off the line or be able to run down skill guys in the backfield? [/quote]

D-line is about Leverage, Explosiveness, and Attitude. With the lighter guys we have the first 2....lets just hope they are nasty

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The line last year was averaged around 305'lbs and was a turnstile on some games, so a line averaging 260'lbs is concerning.
Groh's recruited D Line had Kallon, Gamble, and Gotsis putting on pounds. Of course Groh wanted his line closer to 300'lbs and Kallon ballooned to around 320'lbs at one point, he is now down to 300'lbs. Chungung put on weight too and is now over 260'lbs. I don't know what Pelton/Roof goals and plans are for the D Line but a 277'lb NT is problematic.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
The line last year was averaged around 305'lbs and was a turnstile on some games, so a line averaging 260'lbs is concerning.
Groh's recruited D Line had Kallon, Gamble, and Gotsis putting on pounds. Of course Groh wanted his line closer to 300'lbs and Kallon ballooned to around 320'lbs at one point, he is now down to 300'lbs. Chungung put on weight too and is now over 260'lbs. I don't know what Pelton/Roof goals and plans are for the D Line but a 277'lb NT is problematic.

The line averaged 305 last year and got pushed around...there's more to football than weight. What we have been doing is simply not working.

So you would rather have TJ Barnes at DT than Gotsis?

Leverage is the most important thing...and Roof doesn't decide the players weight. That's the S&C staff...I can tell you that Gotsis is a better football player at 277 than he was at 290.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The line averaged 305 last year and got pushed around...there's more to football than weight. What we have been doing is simply not working.

So you would rather have TJ Barnes at DT than Gotsis?

Leverage is the most important thing...and Roof doesn't decide the players weight. That's the S&C staff...I can tell you that Gotsis is a better football player at 277 than he was at 290.

I hope you are right Eric.
Miami has a huge line, and of course Jawja got some big ems on their line too. With that kind of weight differential leaning on these guys I cant see them holding up. Remember how they pounded Tech into submission, well I'll expect more of the same this year.

gtdrew

Banned
This isn't sumo wrestling. Remember what we all thought TJ Barnes was gonna be? If you can't play low, you can't play. I don't remember DRich and "Smokin" Joe Anoai being super huge when they were dominant. Size is often an indicator of talent on the line of scrimmage, but it isnt a prerequisite.

gtdrew

Banned
Plus, sizes have always been fudged on depth charts. Take anything they say with a grain of salt. And take anything UrinatesonDawgs says with a shot of penicillin...

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I hope you are right Eric.
Miami has a huge line, and of course Jawja got some big ems on their line too. With that kind of weight differential leaning on these guys I cant see them holding up. Remember how they pounded Tech into submission, well I'll expect more of the same this year.

Exactly...that 300 pound line we had was man handled.

Let's say we take out Attaochu and put in Jimmie Kitchen who is listed as a DE on the GT roster...and take out Gotsis and put in Kallon.

The weight average goes from 266 to 283...but does tthat mean the DL is better? Not at all.

The starting DL for Penn State averaged 281 last year....VT 281 and 283 this year.

In the ideal world we want the biggest fastest and strongest guys possible but what school doesn't...I prefer a stronger, faster and better overall Gotsis as 277 than the 290 he was last year.

I think we have some good young talent on the lines...Commissiong is going to be a stud for us and he's a good sized DT.