Depth Chart released

Jonathan Dees

Georgia Tech Fan
I just don't see any true freshman coming in and getting meaningful snaps on the offensive line in this offense. I think Will has great potential, and I think he'll be a solid starter for years, but I just don't see him, or any freshman offensive lineman, getting up to speed that quickly. If he sees meaningful snaps, we'll have had serious issues and be in deep ****.

It just depends on how good the kid is as a freshman. Shaq Mason and Andrew Marshall both got meaningful snaps in this offense as freshman and played well. If you mean just the offense this year I still think its possible, but you are probably right.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Are those weights up to date?
I do believe these weights to be pretty up-to-date. I just looked at a 2012 Roster and some of the players who were Freshmen then have fairly different sizes now. For instance, Gotsis was listed at 300lb back then (he's listed at 282 now). Golden was at 188 and Noble was listed at 200 (what, 212 now?). Brandon Oliver was 195.

I looked at Whitehead's, though, and thought it didn't look up to date. I believe we have put some weight on him. He looked a slight bit (and I do mean slight) heavier this Spring. Jabari was listed at 252 back then.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
freeman was about 225 at years end last year; and documented as such in the papers. He was mid 230's in spring...that chart is pretty close.

Whitehead doesn't look much over 21o to me...

To be totally honest, I think these weights are all really close to actuals....

Its the summer program the guys put all the weight on anyway....then slowly lose it during the season....which is why quality muscle weight is so important.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Devine at RG didn't shock me one bit. Johnson has been very consistent that his best, most physically imposing lineman start at that position, and that's Devine. My guess is that it's because we've always had right-handed quarterbacks, and they're just more comfortable running the option to the right, so in order to get the B-back going, you need your best lineman there.
You may be right, but if it is a true option, then the play side is the D's weak side by numbers. Don't think Johnson would let the defense bait him into repeated runs one direction or the other, even when he is losing the numbers count. I hope Devine can work out, but at 365 he is going to be -- I think -- at best a platoon player with long wind sucking pauses on the sideline. Hope I'm wrong but based on '14, that's it.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You may be right, but if it is a true option, then the play side is the D's weak side by numbers. Don't think Johnson would let the defense bait him into repeated runs one direction or the other, even when he is losing the numbers count. I hope Devine can work out, but at 365 he is going to be -- I think -- at best a platoon player with long wind sucking pauses on the sideline. Hope I'm wrong but based on '14, that's it.

365 is much. But there are many of OL that are 6-6 and 6-7 in the 345/350 range that play every down without issue, both in the NFL and in the NCAA...Devine is not 6 foot and 365. He is 6-7....he needs to drop 20 pounds no doubt. Provided he is fit enough...it shouldn't be an issue....However, the one thing I am more concerned with is that size at guard is interesting considering how low you need to be....this may force a bit of a tweak to that spots blocking style for him.....At 350 he won't be able to fall down and get up every down and last....which may be your point...but no one at that weight would....he will never be a 315 320 guy IMO....

we will see...i think if he can get to 345/350 he will be fine...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We sure are light on lbs with the two DE. Would love to see Those guys beef up before the season starts. We need that D line to emerge as one of the best units on the team. They have been our Achilles hill for a while now.
I'm not worried about our DEs. Whitehead especially is one who has killer hands, a high motor and does not stay blocked.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
365 is much. But there are many of OL that are 6-6 and 6-7 in the 345/350 range that play every down without issue, both in the NFL and in the NCAA...Devine is not 6 foot and 365. He is 6-7....he needs to drop 20 pounds no doubt. Provided he is fit enough...it shouldn't be an issue....However, the one thing I am more concerned with is that size at guard is interesting considering how low you need to be....this may force a bit of a tweak to that spots blocking style for him.....At 350 he won't be able to fall down and get up every down and last....which may be your point...but no one at that weight would....he will never be a 315 320 guy IMO....

we will see...i think if he can get to 345/350 he will be fine...
In the 340 range he may have a shot, I agree. It's just that's he's never been there despite subtle and maybe not-so-subtle shots by Johnson. As anybody who has tried to lose weight, even 5-10 pounds, can attest, it is a long, hard slog, whether young or old, as is staying there. But it is possible for certain. I tend to live up to the handle, and one management style drilled into me was to plan for the worst, and hope for the best, not vice versa. My fingers are crossed because if everything falls into place this could be another very good year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm not worried about our DEs. Whitehead especially is one who has killer hands, a high motor and does not stay blocked.
An observation of mostly sound and fury, but really amusement: a decade ago, even, who would have thought we would be concerned about a DE being "only" 240 or so? In my HS days that would have been two defensive ends.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Weather seems to have a big effect on Devine. He held up well in the cool this Spring Game but was really exhausted quick in the August 2014 scrimmage. I suspect he will struggle early, especially in the day games, but will hold up much better at night and in the cooler part of the season. Get Brown ready!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
While I buy the rationale that depth charts are often used for motivation, I see a real disconnect with this one. If the coaches are trying to motivate Dennis Andrews by dropping him to third string why would they not be doing the same to Shamire Devine? Based on the spring game and simply on my own observations, Dennis played pretty well even making a very nice run for a touchdown. Shamire looked overweight and labored to stay in the game. Coach Johnson even commented in the press that he had not made the progress toward losing the weight they had been asking him to lose since recruiting him. So to me there is a big disconnect in saying this depth chart is being used as a motivational tool. If you are going to use it to motivate Dennis why not do the same to motivate Shamire? Something else is going on here.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
While I buy the rationale that depth charts are often used for motivation, I see a real disconnect with this one. If the coaches are trying to motivate Dennis Andrews by dropping him to third string why would they not be doing the same to Shamire Devine? Based on the spring game and simply on my own observations, Dennis played pretty well even making a very nice run for a touchdown. Shamire looked overweight and labored to stay in the game. Coach Johnson even commented in the press that he had not made the progress toward losing the weight they had been asking him to lose since recruiting him. So to me there is a big disconnect in saying this depth chart is being used as a motivational tool. If you are going to use it to motivate Dennis why not do the same to motivate Shamire? Something else is going on here.

Because not every person responds to the same things in the same ways.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I guess you haven't seen the D stats from last season. In the bottom of the conference with sacks,TFL, and rush yards per carry. They need to improve.
Jabari's presence will make our DE's job a lot easier. It's a whole lot easier to attack the edge when the qb can't step up in the pocket because a monster DT is getting penetration while occupying 2 or more blockers. On top of that, they should improve over last year in their own right. Jabari inside also allows us to move Gamble outside and Gotsis outside situationally. I think you'll be pleased with the result.