Depth Chart released

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe Dennis Andrews is very much in the plans for the Fall. I'm not sure how to interpret the chart that has been published. He's fine if he gets himself ready and comes back with his head on.

I guess you haven't seen the D stats from last season. In the bottom of the conference with sacks,TFL, and rush yards per carry. They need to improve.

I subscribe to the idea that if you are not improving then you are regressing, so in that vein, yes we need to improve. But for the love of Mike, they DID improve--and improved mightily over the course of the season. After losing to Duke and North Carolina, I saw marked, sustained improvement. Didn't you? I will acknowledge we have a ways to go even now, but the days of the shut-down, hold-them-to-six-points are all but gone. You can't touch the quarterback harshly, high or low, receivers have free access to all territory, DB's can't intimidate or impede. The rules have tilted to the offense. Of course, we gave up lots of points to every team in the last half of the schedule---but still we almost ran the table. I agree, we can do better, and I think we will.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
I subscribe to the idea that if you are not improving then you are regressing, so in that vein, yes we need to improve. But for the love of Mike, they DID improve--and improved mightily over the course of the season. After losing to Duke and North Carolina, I saw marked, sustained improvement. Didn't you? I will acknowledge we have a ways to go even now, but the days of the shut-down, hold-them-to-six-points are all but gone. You can't touch the quarterback harshly, high or low, receivers have free access to all territory, DB's can't intimidate or impede. The rules have tilted to the offense. Of course, we gave up lots of points to every team in the last half of the schedule---but still we almost ran the table. I agree, we can do better, and I think we will.
yes they got better, but we all have a sneaking suspicion that the turnover margin might not remain. think about that first INT in the OB. Another inch or two and we don't pick that off. We made a great play to bat it down, so I'm not calling it a fluke... just that things like that are not always sustainable.

and we gave up over 600 yards of total offense in the OB, so there is plenty of room for improvement. I'm excited about the D for the first time in awhile, though.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Because Freeman isn't going to come off the field. He didn't come off the field on defense at all last year. He was in on passing and rushing downs, plus he played special teams as well. He's just got that kind of motor, stamina, ability, and desire. He's our best at the end position no matter what down, situation, quarter, or how much he's already played. So, if he's got one position locked for the entire game, how do you go about getting your best on the field in the other 9 positions? Gotsis isn't coming off the field much either, and neither is Jabari (though both will rotate more than Freeman just for stamina differences). So, the only other position you've got to play with is SDE. So, you play the other guys there situationally ... Rook-Chungong or Gamble on normal downs and Whitehead or Simmons on passing downs.

To another poster's point, we really do have the physical traits for a 3-4 or even 3-3-5 more than a 4-3 this year. But, we've got pieces to be successful either way, as size isn't the only factor for playing these positions, as Freeman and PJ Davis have shown.

just my perception here but i felt like Freeman never came off the field last season because there was a such a huge drop off to his backup.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
While the issue of turnovers is always an unknown variable, last season they were quite timely given that we had ZERO depth at DT to go along with no interior pressure on the QB. When they carted Gamble off the field I thought he was done for the year. Fortunately he came back the following week and played stout all season long. Now that JHD is added to the mix along with Gotsis and Gamble/Kallon, a good rotation can be utilized up front by those DT's.

Expect more pressure on the QB this season from the 4 down linemen who will have an actual rotation to remain fresher in games. That factor alone will result in more three and outs on "D" which are always better than hoping for a TO.

As far as the 600 yards in the OB Game, take away the "Hail Mail" score and subtract 7 along with 50 yards and see if that makes you look at the game any differently. Garbage yardage doesn't change the fact that GT beat the stuffing out of the former # 1 rated team in the country from the vaunted SEC Bully West Division.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Garbage yardage doesn't change the fact that GT beat the stuffing out of the former # 1 rated team in the country from the vaunted SEC Bully West Division.
Great point. Missy State gets "style points" for all those yards but that is about it. They were meaningless when it came to what counts, which is the final score. Tech's defense complimented Tech's offense in making it pretty nigh impossible for Missy State to keep up or make a come back and causing them to engage in a completely futile effort the last 20 plus minutes of the game. It was a rout no matter how you look at but if you add to it the fumble that the refs took away from Tech and the fluke end of first half touchdown the score would have been even more lopsided.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
As far as the 600 yards in the OB Game, take away the "Hail Mail" score and subtract 7 along with 50 yards and see if that makes you look at the game any differently. Garbage yardage doesn't change the fact that GT beat the stuffing out of the former # 1 rated team in the country from the vaunted SEC Bully West Division.
I've never liked taking points or yards away arbitrarily in anything but the most lopsided of games. You certainly can't take away the hail mary... it was the first half and brought them within 1 point. it really wasn't any more "lucky" than us intercepting the ball on their first drive.

regardless of that, if we take away that play and another 50 yards then they still managed 500 yards.

I am not saying we didn't thoroughly beat them. But 600 yards and 34 points... we didn't beat them because of our defense. It was better but it was not what I'd call "good."

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Don't sleep on Simmons. I think he has the highest ceiling of our young DEs. He's going to be a BEAST once his body fills out and he gets stronger.
Agree on Simmons upside. Didn't understand him not being a RS until the OB. Even though he often looked like a rookie he came real close in the OB fourth quarter to making several big plays (he barely missed some tacles for loss or sacks). Like Whitehead he is very hard to block for long. He has played both SDE and WDE, great motor, now over 230LBS, and will be pushing for more PT. He is REAL DEPTH.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@Architorture23:

We beat them (Miss State) because GT had the better team. Frankly, nobody in the NCAA is playing defense these days like the 85 Chicago Bears or the "Steel Curtain" teams from Pittsburgh circa the 70's. Using your analysis no doubt the entire MSU offense went out for a steak dinner and crowed about: "how we put up 34 points; a Hail Mary TD; 600 yards of offense and should have won the OB if it wasn't for our pathetic defense."

If you are expecting a score reminiscent of the GT 222 Cumberland 0 Game every week as your metric for defensive success in 2015 then embrace the dissapointment now as that is very unlikely. I also didn't observe the GT defenders standing around crying while only the GT offense celebrated the OB win.

Could the defense have played better; sure. So could the offense as we did have to punt a few times. But how about some credit to the entire TEAM for humiliating the favored (7.5 points) MSU Bulldogs from the storied SEC West as opposed to nit picking about garbage yardage. Frankly their (MSU) entire 1A and 1B defenses looked like garbage all night from my recollection.

Enjoy the win and the success that comes along with it for the entire GT Nation and leave the statistics for the losing team to find a moral victory.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@Techster: You are spot on about Simmons! He had close to 30 QB sacks in HS playing DE at 210 Lbs. I remember him mauling some RB in the NC State Game and can't wait to see him in 2015 after putting a little more meat on that frame as I believe he was also a WR for his HS team.

This kid is going to be making plays for CTR.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
@Architorture23:

We beat them (Miss State) because GT had the better team. Frankly, nobody in the NCAA is playing defense these days like the 85 Chicago Bears or the "Steel Curtain" teams from Pittsburgh circa the 70's. Using your analysis no doubt the entire MSU offense went out for a steak dinner and crowed about: "how we put up 34 points; a Hail Mary TD; 600 yards of offense and should have won the OB if it wasn't for our pathetic defense."

If you are expecting a score reminiscent of the GT 222 Cumberland 0 Game every week as your metric for defensive success in 2015 then embrace the dissapointment now as that is very unlikely. I also didn't observe the GT defenders standing around crying while only the GT offense celebrated the OB win.

Could the defense have played better; sure. So could the offense as we did have to punt a few times. But how about some credit to the entire TEAM for humiliating the favored (7.5 points) MSU Bulldogs from the storied SEC West as opposed to nit picking about garbage yardage. Frankly their (MSU) entire 1A and 1B defenses looked like garbage all night from my recollection.

Enjoy the win and the success that comes along with it for the entire GT Nation and leave the statistics for the losing team to find a moral victory.
how on earth are you taking away that I didn't enjoy the win and I'm not giving credit to the team? ugh...

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@Architorture23: Quite the paradox based on what you wrote. Glad to hear you did enjoy the OB win except for the performance by the defense.

You might want to consider how a current GT defender would interpret your comments given that you called out their "But 600 yards and 34 points..." performance. Ugh!

Probably the same way that I did. If you want to make a post about "bad defense" you ought to write about the North Carolina Tar Heels. Just a thought.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
@Techster: You are spot on about Simmons! He had close to 30 QB sacks in HS playing DE at 210 Lbs. I remember him mauling some RB in the NC State Game and can't wait to see him in 2015 after putting a little more meat on that frame as I believe he was also a WR for his HS team.

This kid is going to be making plays for CTR.
I am not above repeating myself, so I will say this again as I have said other times on other threads, Simmons was absolutely held in the Orange Bowl on at least three plays (basically tackled on one play in particular) and I do not believe offensive lines are going to get away with that as much this year, especially if he puts on a few more pounds.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
yes they got better, but we all have a sneaking suspicion that the turnover margin might not remain. think about that first INT in the OB. Another inch or two and we don't pick that off. We made a great play to bat it down, so I'm not calling it a fluke... just that things like that are not always sustainable.

and we gave up over 600 yards of total offense in the OB, so there is plenty of room for improvement. I'm excited about the D for the first time in awhile, though.
Not sure that is a very good argument -- stuff happens, good and bad -- but I have watched that pick over and over and think it was at least worth a look because I think it slipped through Milton's arms and bounced up again as he rolled over on it. With my Direct TV VCR I can't get a really clear image on stop play, but I am almost sure of it. Wish now that it is long gone somebody would ask him. As for the D itself, I too think it will be better, and the last half of the OB was encouraging. But doggone, it has to be terribly frustrating for the offense to match 71 yards, use up four or five minutes, score, then sit and watch the opposition go 75 yards in four plays and a couple of minutes. Keeping the two units apart is a masterful job of coaching, I think. But I have hopes.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Our offense is our bread and butter. It's what wins us games and it got us to 11 wins an OB victory last year. ALL we need is a top 30 defense to have a special, special season, given what we return at QB and oline. Given that, I'll remain highly optmistic as I expected marked improve from defense, just as we saw from the beginning of 2014 to 2015.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Our offense is our bread and butter. It's what wins us games and it got us to 11 wins an OB victory last year. ALL we need is a top 30 defense to have a special, special season, given what we return at QB and oline. Given that, I'll remain highly optmistic as I expected marked improve from defense, just as we saw from the beginning of 2014 to 2015.
No argument on the offense, though with a lot of holes to fill we'll see. But the defense? Holding FSU to three FGs in the second half was good. But in the last three games of the season, we gave up almost 1,500 yards and 95 points in total offense. The good part of me says the defense will get better. The bad part of me is scared to death it could get worse. Were I an opposing coach I might spend the week ahead practicing against our defense more than the offense. Shoot, the latter hasn't worked very well.