Depth Chart released

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Ken says "4. Dennis Andrews is not among the top four at A-back and behind two players (Clinton Lynch and Qua Searcy) who have never played. Johnson described him as “rusty” late in spring practice. He said of starter Isiah Willis, a walk-on, that “Ike knows where to go.”"

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/05/14/tech-depth-chart-released/

Also: 6. Breakdown of the top 44 by class: Seniors: 16 (7 offense, 9 defense); Juniors: 12 (5/7); Sophomores: 11 (5/6); Freshmen: 5 (5/0).

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Usually three or four incoming true freshmen make the two deep by year end (Austin twins, Freeman, Marshall last year for instance) because of depth issues, injuries, or just straight up talent. We have maybe the largest and best class of recruits coming in this year since 2007, and arguably best in the last four or five decades if they can exceed 2007 when they arrive on campus. With a class of this size and ability, normally you might expect to see four, five, maybe six of them as strong contributors by year end. Yet as I look at this two deep, not a single Freshman may penetrate the two deep. It's going to take some special talent to come in and play right away. I think that's true even at WR, A and B Backs just because of the demands put on those positions due to the nature of our offense. I think we see just one true frosh on offense and one on defense at the most. That, to me, is a strong indicator of the progress we've made and the path we're on. If four or five true frosh are getting significant minutes for reasons other than a epidemic of injuries, then that would tell me we have some very serious talent in this class.

Usually three or four incoming true freshmen make the two deep by year end (Austin twins, Freeman, Marshall last year for instance) because of depth issues, injuries, or just straight up talent. We have maybe the largest and best class of recruits coming in this year since 2007, and arguably best in the last four or five decades if they can exceed 2007 when they arrive on campus. With a class of this size and ability, normally you might expect to see four, five, maybe six of them as strong contributors by year end. Yet as I look at this two deep, not a single Freshman may penetrate the two deep. It's going to take some special talent to come in and play right away. I think that's true even at WR, A and B Backs just because of the demands put on those positions due to the nature of our offense. I think we see just one true frosh on offense and one on defense at the most. That, to me, is a strong indicator of the progress we've made and the path we're on. If four or five true frosh are getting significant minutes for reasons other than a epidemic of injuries, then that would tell me we have some very serious talent in this class.
AJ Gray will see playing time for sure. I have a feeling he will be somebody we remember for a long time at tech.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
OLine:
  • Depth at T is a blessing in light of Chris Griffin's injury. I think Klock will be a stud LT - great athlete & motor.
  • Will Gary Brown be the first guard sub for both LG and RG? if that's the case, having Devine start makes a lot of sense. Don't remember seeing Froyman at Guard
  • Is Andrew Marshal healthy? I love Burden & people were high on marshall last year, but i think I remember someone saying he hasn't recovered from his injury and is was very light this spring
  • Will Bryan could end up being a very important piece this year. If C depth is an issue - let's start getting him reps now. If not, he can step up and be a solid rotational player at G or T. Versatility and his intensity make him the perfect addition this year.
ABs and BBs
  • Do you guys think its possible for Skov to play both BB and AB this year, or is that too much to learn?
  • My thinking is, if Allen + quade/Lands-Davis/Marcus Marshal can handle the BB rotation, a big blocking AB could be nice piece in certain situations
DL
  • Agree about DT comments - Days + Gotsis, bump Gamble out to SDE
  • I don't see whitehead being used much this year, but i think he could still have an impact. Rotating in a fresh athletic edge rusher at strategic points in the game is nice a tool.
LB
  • Noble at LB seems like it gives a lot more versatility to CTR, solves the board's age-old "how the heck do we cover a big TE" crisis
  • it is silly that our depth chart is a 4-3 and we still have unlisted LBs like Tre, Vic, and the 2 other stud true freshman at the position. Too deep.
DB
  • Looks great. Hope Step takes a "leap" forward this year. We'll need him next year.
  • Jalen Johnson and the other Austin unlisted + stud true freshman...again, too deep.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
OLine:
  • Depth at T is a blessing in light of Chris Griffin's injury. I think Klock will be a stud LT - great athlete & motor.
  • Will Gary Brown be the first guard sub for both LG and RG? if that's the case, having Devine start makes a lot of sense. Don't remember seeing Froyman at Guard
  • Is Andrew Marshal healthy? I love Burden & people were high on marshall last year, but i think I remember someone saying he hasn't recovered from his injury and is was very light this spring
  • Will Bryan could end up being a very important piece this year. If C depth is an issue - let's start getting him reps now. If not, he can step up and be a solid rotational player at G or T. Versatility and his intensity make him the perfect addition this year.
ABs and BBs
  • Do you guys think its possible for Skov to play both BB and AB this year, or is that too much to learn?
  • My thinking is, if Allen + quade/Lands-Davis/Marcus Marshal can handle the BB rotation, a big blocking AB could be nice piece in certain situations
DL
  • Agree about DT comments - Days + Gotsis, bump Gamble out to SDE
  • I don't see whitehead being used much this year, but i think he could still have an impact. Rotating in a fresh athletic edge rusher at strategic points in the game is nice a tool.
LB
  • Noble at LB seems like it gives a lot more versatility to CTR, solves the board's age-old "how the heck do we cover a big TE" crisis
  • it is silly that our depth chart is a 4-3 and we still have unlisted LBs like Tre, Vic, and the 2 other stud true freshman at the position. Too deep.
DB
  • Looks great. Hope Step takes a "leap" forward this year. We'll need him next year.
  • Jalen Johnson and the other Austin unlisted + stud true freshman...again, too deep.
We're going to need that depth on Defense especially at LB and DB in 2016 as we lose 7 starters off this year's team.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
4 seniors listed as starting DB's...and they all can play. What a great recruiting class...potential to be one of the best, if not THE best, GT secondaries in the last 50 years.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Odd move by pj concerning Andrews. Andrews was one of our best blockers towards the end of last year and has shown ability in real games catching and running the ball. But he has three guys who have never played a meaningful snap ahead of him? Really weird to me.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
AJ Gray will see playing time for sure. I have a feeling he will be somebody we remember for a long time at tech.
Me too. I think AJ Gray has an NFL future. Sure, that's probably premature, but the guy has all the physically tools to have a great career, at Tech and professionally. He seems to have a great mental make-up. I think he'll contribute right away at Tech. I'm more excited about him than any of our recruits. He was highly underrated. How he was only 3 * blows my minds.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
OLine:

I just don't see any true freshman coming in and getting meaningful snaps on the offensive line in this offense. I think Will has great potential, and I think he'll be a solid starter for years, but I just don't see him, or any freshman offensive lineman, getting up to speed that quickly. If he sees meaningful snaps, we'll have had serious issues and be in deep ****.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Odd move by pj concerning Andrews. Andrews was one of our best blockers towards the end of last year and has shown ability in real games catching and running the ball. But he has three guys who have never played a meaningful snap ahead of him? Really weird to me.
It makes perfect sense to me if a certain scenario that's pretty common in the sports is, in fact, in play. This is complete speculation, but if a kid thinks his name is written in stone because he's the only returning major contributor, I can see a sense of complacency derailing his effort. Something needs to be done to get a kid's attention if all else fails. The last thing you want is a kid you're depending on half-arsing it all summer. Again, I have no inside info, but this is the only one that makes any kind of sense and it fits with the "rusty" comments by CPJ.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don't see any true freshman coming in and getting meaningful snaps on the offensive line in this offense. I think Will has great potential, and I think he'll be a solid starter for years, but I just don't see him, or any freshman offensive lineman, getting up to speed that quickly. If he sees meaningful snaps, we'll have had serious issues and be in deep ****.

Good point - i overstated. I just meant looking at the 2 deep, it's nice to have will bryan around this year b/c if there is an injury, I think he's good enough to be a solid backup / or even rotational guy at G or T this year. A versatile player with a high ceiling who gives us great depth. Plus, it seems like the best part of his game is his effort. If an emergency situation where a true fresh has to play on the Oline, that's probably the best trait to have.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is very concerning
Not picking on you or attacking you, just asking for some general comment. The word "concerning" means pertaining to or with regard to. In the last five years I suddenly have begun to hear this word used over and over again to mean "worrying about" or "having concerns about." Is this something people who use the word have always said or is this another one of those cases where the English language is in flux and we are now seeing the definition of a word changing simply through sheer brunt of use as more and more people change their syntax?

I am not being critical; it just "jars my ears" when I "hear it" and I notice that TV anchors and commentators now use it frequently and I am hearing it easily a hundred times more often than I heard it even five years ago.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Nice.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The Spring depth chart is a motivational document. Period. It rewards guys who worked hard in the Spring, plus it challenges guys who have ability but did not push themselves. To properly evaluate the chart you have understand what type of feedback motivates each player. It looks like Andrews may not have worked as hard in the Spring as he did last Fall.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow

He was "rusty" in the spring. We know he's still on the team. As another poster mentioned above, PJ has done this in the past. If I were DA, it would certainly motivate me to have a kick *** summer and fall camp.

We sure are light on lbs with the two DE. Would love to see Those guys beef up before the season starts. We need that D line to emerge as one of the best units on the team. They have been our Achilles hill for a while now.