Depth Chart for Tulane....Timmy 2nd string QB

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
How would we know who is ahead at this point? All we know is that Jordan has been moved to A back and didn't even get 3rd string reps at QB against Alcorn state. To me, it appears that Jordan isn't in the equation at QB in any form at this point. He is probably an emergency QB like that maryland LB was a few years ago, but you have to think that the redshirt QB would be used before a guy the coaches have already decided isn't going to be a QB here in the future.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that CPJ said that MJ would be our #3 QB while also spending time at A-Back. So, it's not that he's made the final decision that MJ has no future at QB. In the past, when coach has thought of using a Tr Fr as #3 QB, he's had them repping with our offense, not running the scout team. He has Christian running the scout team.

So, yeah, it's an unusual situation, especially with Chase Martenson also hurt. We'll see. I don't think we have enough data to be dogmatic one way or the other.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
How would we know who is ahead at this point? All we know is that Jordan has been moved to A back and didn't even get 3rd string reps at QB against Alcorn state. To me, it appears that Jordan isn't in the equation at QB in any form at this point. He is probably an emergency QB like that maryland LB was a few years ago, but you have to think that the redshirt QB would be used before a guy the coaches have already decided isn't going to be a QB here in the future.

In interviews I thought CPJ made it clear that (with Thomas and Byerly healthy) the third string QB was not going to play much, if at all past the first game. He thought Jordan was too good an athlete to sit so he moved him to AB to get some PT with the option to move him back to QB when and if needed. Both QBs were healthy for Alcorn so Jordan did not play QB as he was getting acclimated to AB. Obviously if Coach knew Byerly would be hurt this week he would have played Jordan against Alcorn.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Yeah we collectively have no idea why Matthew Jordan was moved, other than they wanted him to get a chance to see the field at AB. The only time people have seen him play QB was in the spring game? There, his stats were 17 carries, 19 yards, and 2-5 passing for 8 yards (according to FTRS). So I'm not sure how we can say, definitively, that Jordan is a better QB than Campbell. He may be - we just don't know.

On the other hand, Campbell played in an option offense in high school that has similarities to our offense, so it's not like he was starting from scratch. My understanding is that Jordan's offense, while using some zone read schemes, is a bit more different than ours. So there is at least one reason to believe that maybe Campbell is more apt to be backup QB (at least at the moment).

The other thing nobody has addressed is - if we lose Byerly for the season (God forbid) we can try to get him a medical redshirt, play Campbell this year, and redshirt Campbell next year if/when Byerly comes back. Not ideal, of course, but it doesn't disrupt roster management much.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Would Byerly even want to come back for a 6th year? I assume he's working on his Masters now the NFL isn't a viable option for him so I see the only reason coming back would be if he needed another year of free education but if he gets his masters this summer then whats the point?

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Would Byerly even want to come back for a 6th year? I assume he's working on his Masters now the NFL isn't a viable option for him so I see the only reason coming back would be if he needed another year of free education but if he gets his masters this summer then whats the point?

How do you know he is getting a masters this summer? I may be wrong but I don't even see where he graduated undergrad yet.

I'd also think he'd want to return for one final season, since he did transfer schools to play football, but obviously I haven't spoken with him so I have no idea if that's what he'd do.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
How do you know he is getting a masters this summer? I may be wrong but I don't even see where he graduated undergrad yet.

I'd also think he'd want to return for one final season, since he did transfer schools to play football, but obviously I haven't spoken with him so I have no idea if that's what he'd do.
I'm just going on the assumption he's a 5th year 23 year old who's been at Tech most summers. Maybe he hasn't graduated yet but I'm just assuming based on general timelines and the fact he hasn't ever been academically ineligible.

TmanC099

Georgia Tech Fan
Im not too worried about it right now, mainly because as long as JT is healthy, Im not worried about Byerly. I do think Jordan would move back to QB before we would burn the redshirt on Christian Campbell. Also, CPJ said either in the press conference or radio show something about Jordan playing some QB in the Alcorn game, but just decided it would be better for Brady Swilling to get some reps. I'm not too worried though.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah we collectively have no idea why Matthew Jordan was moved, other than they wanted him to get a chance to see the field at AB. The only time people have seen him play QB was in the spring game? There, his stats were 17 carries, 19 yards, and 2-5 passing for 8 yards (according to FTRS). So I'm not sure how we can say, definitively, that Jordan is a better QB than Campbell. He may be - we just don't know.

On the other hand, Campbell played in an option offense in high school that has similarities to our offense, so it's not like he was starting from scratch. My understanding is that Jordan's offense, while using some zone read schemes, is a bit more different than ours. So there is at least one reason to believe that maybe Campbell is more apt to be backup QB (at least at the moment).

The other thing nobody has addressed is - if we lose Byerly for the season (God forbid) we can try to get him a medical redshirt, play Campbell this year, and redshirt Campbell next year if/when Byerly comes back. Not ideal, of course, but it doesn't disrupt roster management much.
While Campbell played a similar option scheme in high school, Jordan has two years learning our exact offense with our coaches. I'd put that experience above 4 years of high school.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
While Campbell played a similar option scheme in high school, Jordan has two years learning our exact offense with our coaches. I'd put that experience above 4 years of high school.
This says it all. There's no comparison being in the system for 2 yrs vs. 2 months. MJ wasn't a last second add on to the class, either. He was our #1 target that year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Half our roster is former hs qb's.
Close enough for government work, but they were moved to other positions, and clearly we can be in trouble if Byerly can't go for a spell. If we thought Johnson dumbed his offense down the first 2-3 years, wait until Thomas can't go .. because while they may be a "QB" we don't have anybody who can "play QB" beyond the two-deep. I'd like to be surprised but based on what we have seen, no. That is not a position that can be learned or played with a couple of weeks practice, no matter how intense. My money would be on Campbell as much as anybody because Johnson is about winning now, and down the road can't wait.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Close enough for government work, but they were moved to other positions, and clearly we can be in trouble if Byerly can't go for a spell. If we thought Johnson dumbed his offense down the first 2-3 years, wait until Thomas can't go .. because while they may be a "QB" we don't have anybody who can "play QB" beyond the two-deep. I'd like to be surprised but based on what we have seen, no. That is not a position that can be learned or played with a couple of weeks practice, no matter how intense. My money would be on Campbell as much as anybody because Johnson is about winning now, and down the road can't wait.
CPJ is also ultra-concerned about turnovers. Therefore, the guy who's been here longer probably gets the nod.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
This is true of 99% of other teams. If you're heavily relying on your 3rd string QB, you're offense is going to struggle.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Im not too worried about it right now, mainly because as long as JT is healthy, Im not worried about Byerly. I do think Jordan would move back to QB before we would burn the redshirt on Christian Campbell. Also, CPJ said either in the press conference or radio show something about Jordan playing some QB in the Alcorn game, but just decided it would be better for Brady Swilling to get some reps. I'm not too worried though.

Thomas and Byerly were out there when there was some blocking. Brady was out there to kill the clock and take care of the ball. He was taking a beating (one for the team) without much blocking. I do not think CPJ wanted to expose Jordan to that. We were not trying to score, just kill some time with a lot of QB keeps. That was not valuable training for Jordan anyway.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is true of 99% of other teams. If you're heavily relying on your 3rd string QB, you're offense is going to struggle.
All that is no doubt true. It is also true -- I think, anyway -- that learning to not embarrass yourself with a pro set or I formation, and certainly with the zone option/read, is a lot easier than grasping Johnson's spread. Making up to two reads inside of 2-3 seconds is not for the faint of heart, and that is just one element. Nobody is "well off" three deep -- well, maybe OSU -- but they would be better off than Tech. I have my fingers crossed Byerly can play, and if not, Jordan can step up to at least adequate. We are about to learn what a luxury we have with Byerly.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Jordan enrolled in January of 2014. He hasn't had two years to learn the offense; he hasn't even been at GT two years. He's had 2 spring practices and one season. While he got some reps with the offense, he didn't get nearly as many as Thomas or Byerly - particularly during the season.

Also, Jordan was the one who was moved to AB. Again, none of us know the real reason why (be it a lack of confidence in the AB situation, a surplus of confidence in Jordan's ability such that we wanted him to see the field immediately, a lack of confidence in Jordan as a QB, or a surplus of confidence in our QB recruits of the future such that Jordan wouldn't play QB). I really don't think it was driven solely by a mad desire to get Jordan on the field because he's such a great player; if he was that good he may have beat out Byerly for the backup slot or - more importantly - would have been much higher on the AB depth chart.

My guess is the move was an attempt at permanence, since otherwise we would want to move Byerly (if we were looking for a temporary, one year solution re AB depth, Byerly would have been the best fit while leaving Jordan to fill the backup QB slot).

Now, maybe we decided to move Jordan back. But my guess is we saw enough out of Campbell to know that he was the future at the position, which is why we moved Jordan.

For those of you poopooing four years of experience in a similar high school offense - jaybo was pretty efficient at running whatwe did out of high school.