Deion Sanders On The Flats?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If he comes and gives us an upgrade, if only for a few years, I'll even put up with the potential obnoxiousness from claiming BDSHGF is his house

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Here’s a question for y’all…hypothetical of course because who knows if any of this is true/would ever happen.

We’ve already heard whispers on here and Twitter from people who have a “source” that the buyout money is there and that Deion is in the loop and ready.

If Geoff goes 7-5 or better this season…and Deion is ready to make a move…do you make the move?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a question for y’all…hypothetical of course because who knows if any of this is true/would ever happen.

We’ve already heard whispers on here and Twitter from people who have a “source” that the buyout money is there and that Deion is in the loop and ready.

If Geoff goes 7-5 or better this season…and Deion is ready to make a move…do you make the move?
If Deion is in hand ready to go, and we have the money to get him a competent staff from the get go, 7-5 won’t be enough to save Geoff’s job. He better go 8-4 and look competitive against UGA to have any chance to hang around in that scenario.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Main thing to consider, and it can't be ignored. Per AJC, CGC salary this year is 3.3mil. Total salary for football staff, including CGC, is 7.2mil. Lane Train alone is 7.4mil and his coaching staff total, with LT, is 12+mil. $5,000,000+ difference in staff pay, at this level, does matter, or we will forever be a stepping stone job and in perpetual rebuilding. But sure, go ahead and withhold your money until we field a winner. That'll show 'em!

JoJaTeck

Georgia Tech Fan
Where does TStan fit in all of this? Does he get shown the door at the same time as Collins if this season is not a success and Prime is approached as the new head couching target? If so, is the new AD forced to accept Prime as rhe new HC?

JacketFan137

Banned
Where does TStan fit in all of this? Does he get shown the door at the same time as Collins if this season is not a success and Prime is approached as the new head couching target? If so, is the new AD forced to accept Prime as rhe new HC?
it’s been discussed ad nauseam in another thread but i think you’ll hear a lot of very vocal people that want tstan canned yesterday.

reality is probably a little more complicated and i bet it would depend on how quickly collins replacement is lined up.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
TStan is tied to Collins since Collins was his guy and the money to fire Collins was there after last season. I’ve heard there is already background work on hiring a new AD and they would hope to work that deal out behind closed doors and that way when you fire TStan, you can announce the new AD a week or two later. Then the new AD will conduct a head coaching search.

JacketFan137

Banned
TStan is tied to Collins since Collins was his guy and the money to fire Collins was there after last season. I’ve heard there is already background work on hiring a new AD and they would hope to work that deal out behind closed doors and that way when you fire TStan, you can announce the new AD a week or two later. Then the new AD will conduct a head coaching search.
i know it feels for US like stansbury hitched his wagon to collins, but is that reality? i’m not tapped in to what’s going on behind the scenes with the guys with the money and power to make decisions but is there any actual indication stansbury will be canned along with collins?

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I for one WHOLEHEARTEDLY welcome this conundrum and I do not envy whoever has to make that call.
I feel like 7-5 means the guy you hired to turn it around is indeed turning it around. It took a year longer than we would’ve liked, but the plan is working and you have to stick with the plan.
On the flip side, we won’t get another shot at Deion. He’ll go somewhere and build something and we’ll be left watching “what could’ve been.”
Let me throw a third wrinkle in here... if Collins posts 7-5 this year with this schedule, he may start to look pretty attractive to some P5 teams needing a “rebuild” of their own. For as much crap as he has taken (rightfully so in many cases), I think a lot of people would look at what he did as pretty impressive. He would probably have to do it one more year to prove it wasn’t an aberration before people step up for him, but who knows...

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
For all the crap TStan gets for football (and rightfully so), he has worked wonders in campaigning for money. Also, non-rev sports are looking really good, basketball is a year removed from winning the ACCT and making the NCAAT. Football is atrocious at the moment, but putting Deion in place could rapidly change that. Outside of football, I feel like TStan has done some pretty decent things for the Athletic Department as a whole. You could certainly make a case for both Collins and TStan losing their jobs, but I'd be happier firing Collins and getting Deion than firing Collins and TStan and missing out on Deion.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

It's going to be tough to go 7-5 against our schedule this year. That would be an impressive job of coaching if we get to 7 wins.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Unless something screwy is going on with GTAA, if there are negotiations with Sanders, then ADTS is probably directly involved. If he lands Sanders, I would think the P/R coup alone would secure his job for at least a couple years.

Of course, I know nothing of the current situation....

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

I've heard somewhat similar things, like "the next AD will choose the next coach." So I'm thinking that if we're 1-6 or 2-7 and we pretty much know that Collins is going to be let go, Stansbury will be moved somehow. I assume outright fired, but maybe to some fundraising spot on the Hill?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
i know it feels for US like stansbury hitched his wagon to collins, but is that reality? i’m not tapped in to what’s going on behind the scenes with the guys with the money and power to make decisions but is there any actual indication stansbury will be canned along with collins?

When he said in the paper that he had his man, he basically attached his career here to Collins.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
For all the crap TStan gets for football (and rightfully so), he has worked wonders in campaigning for money. Also, non-rev sports are looking really good, basketball is a year removed from winning the ACCT and making the NCAAT. Football is atrocious at the moment, but putting Deion in place could rapidly change that. Outside of football, I feel like TStan has done some pretty decent things for the Athletic Department as a whole. You could certainly make a case for both Collins and TStan losing their jobs, but I'd be happier firing Collins and getting Deion than firing Collins and TStan and missing out on Deion.

This is why I think that maybe they try to move him to a fundraising roll on the Hill or at the Alumni Association. How old is he? 60-ish? Getting close to retirement age and a nice easy transition with a nice salary.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I was totally against Deion at first, but the more I hear it, the more I like it.

He played here for the Braves and Falcons.
He would get recruiting rocking and likely NIL money as well.
He would make a HUGE national splash.
He would need great assistants, which I assume he could get. He currently has Mike Zimmer on his staff as a non-paid assistant or something. Former NFL coach Mike Zimmer.
Imagine the publicity he would generate? He'd go to Falcon games, get on ESPN and all of the NFL broadcasts, etc.
Atlanta has a large African American population that he could likely tap in to for recruiting and new fans. Would likely see him scheduling Morehouse and other HBCUs and telling them to make GT their P5 and Atlanta's school.

Only concerns are 1) coaching and 2) would he leave at the first opportunity for FSU. But, it may be worth it based on the exposure he would bring and the players. He got a Top 5 recruit to Jackson State this year. JACKSON STATE!!

They say you never want to be the guy right after the legend. Well, Collins is suffering from being the guy after Johnson because of his system/players and Collins' lack of "coaching skills." Bring in Deion with the talent we have now, real good coaches and his recruiting skills and let's see what happens.

The West Stands old folks (the ones older than me....) may not like it, but after the last three years, they may actually buy in.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The West Stands old folks (the ones older than me....) may not like it, but after the last three years, they may actually buy in.
Since I am (1) Old (2) have seats in the West Stands, I think I qualify.

I would LOVE this idea. GT needs to d something different, unique, that separates us from the pack. We cannot compete on money and we are handicapped in so many other ways. ANYTHING that makes us stand out, gives us an edge, is unique and different....I like (it's why I liked CPJ.)

PS-I reserve the right to complain later about the music selection at the stadium if Deion comes on board...LOL

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Since I am (1) Old (2) have seats in the West Stands, I think I qualify.

I would LOVE this idea. GT needs to d something different, unique, that separates us from the pack. We cannot compete on money and we are handicapped in so many other ways. ANYTHING that makes us stand out, gives us an edge, is unique and different....I like (it's why I liked CPJ.)

PS-I reserve the right to complain later about the music selection at the stadium if Deion comes on board...LOL

Agreed. Talked to one of my "college athletic sources" and he said academics would be a concern. But realistically, who stays for 4 years any more? If you're unhappy with playing time, you transfer. If you're a stud, you leave after three years to go to the NFL. Yes, we have calculus, but we have a lot of easier type degrees now. I don't think it is as bad an excuse as it used to be.

JacketFan137

Banned
When he said in the paper that he had his man, he basically attached his career here to Collins.
i know that’s how the fanbase feels about it but do we have any indication that’s what reality is? i’m asking cause that’s not something i would know since i don’t have any connection with boosters and the people who pay the money