Deion Sanders On The Flats?

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Thought about posting this in the GT News thread but this not really news, more of a hot take. What do you guys think about what he's saying? Would Deion be a fit here at GT? And nothing about whether he'd want come here just would he be welcomed and fit in here on the Flats?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to ask John Schuerholz and Tim McCarver what they think. 😂. Sorry. Just watched Primetime’s 30 for 30 and I think John and Tim are probably still mad at him 25 years later.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
I've thought about this a lot. From a fan perspective, he would be welcome. You could say that he's on the Mount Rushmore of Atlanta Sports Figures, particularly in the black community. He'll be able to recruit just about any player from the Metro Atlanta region and we'd have a legitimate shot at getting some of the higher tier players. My only question regarding Deion specifically would be who he brings in as his coordinators. The mark of a good coaching isn't just want you know, but who you surround yourself with on your coaching staff.

From an administrative perspective, he might not be a fit. Bringing in Deion would mean that the administration would have to open up their pockets. Deion is gonna want more in terms of recruiting budget, better facilities, etc., which GT could use an upgrade in. I think he would bring in more booster support for the program, but it would be the administration that would be the biggest hurdle since their biggest concern isn't athletics.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
If he runs the D under Chadwell, I'd get behind him as head coach when Chadwell is poached.
We can't take another unproven experiment. Love or hate him, CGC was largely unproven as a HC. If we part ways this year, Chadwell has to be #1 on the list. Bring in Sanders as DC. Chadwell wins here and an $ec team buys him up, hand the keys to Deion.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If he runs the D under Chadwell, I'd get behind him as head coach when Chadwell is poached.
We can't take another unproven experiment. Love or hate him, CGC was largely unproven as a HC. If we part ways this year, Chadwell has to be #1 on the list. Bring in Sanders as DC. Chadwell wins here and an $ec team buys him up, hand the keys to Deion.

How would chadwell be any different than CGC or Prime?

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Should be our first call if CGC doesn’t go bowling this year. Andy Staples made the point that if there was a coach named Deion Smith who won ten games at an FCS school, and was also vastly out recruiting for his level, wouldn’t that coach be a hot name for a power five job? And he has an Atlanta history that still resonates.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
How would chadwell be any different than CGC or Prime?
Chadwell has a proven record at school in the toughest G5 conference. Prime has only one season under his belt.
I hope we don't fire CGC. That'll mean huge gains were made and many of his visions are coming into focus. The replacement Head Coach conversation should start and end with Chadwell. Checks many boxes that folks on here declare they want. Prime just needs a little bit more seasoning. Get him here as HCinW at DC and in 2 or 3 years, he's the man. Because if Chadwell wins here, a struggling $ec program will back up the brinks truck for him.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Deon was a great athlete that could play offense and defense. My own opinion is that we need an offensive minded coach in today's college environment and preferably a former quarterback. Our best chance of success is to have a destination for great quarterbacks.
I hope Chris Weinke is part of an improved offense and that helps recruiting and retaining top quarterbacks. Another lackluster year and Sim's may decide to move on. He would still have 2 years of eligibility.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Chadwell has a proven record at school in the toughest G5 conference. Prime has only one season under his belt.
I hope we don't fire CGC. That'll mean huge gains were made and many of his visions are coming into focus. The replacement Head Coach conversation should start and end with Chadwell. Checks many boxes that folks on here declare they want. Prime just needs a little bit more seasoning. Get him here as HCinW at DC and in 2 or 3 years, he's the man. Because if Chadwell wins here, a struggling $ec program will back up the brinks truck for him.
IMO, Caldwell falls into the "sexy hire" category now. that is why he is mentioned so frequently here. He could probably skip the "go to GT for 4 years" stage. Until we resolve our financial issues I believe we will be limited to the Gaileys and Johnsons (older guys who are estabilished in their careers and would coach here because they are not still trying to climb the ladder) or less experienced guys like CGC who need the job to build their resumes and need the job if they want to move up to the upper tier programs. Just an opinion. Sanders may fall into category 1 without the resume of CCG or CPJ however (not endorsing him one way or the other) because he has already set himself up financially. Money frees people up to take risks. and I think in today's environment coaching here is a risky career move.