Deion Sanders On The Flats?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I’m conflicted.
On one hand, I think heck no, this feels like an experiment that could fail miserably. I feel like what starts out as a fun and exciting proposition to revamp a winning football program could easily turn into a circus and a major setback.
On the other, I’ve advocated many times our need to do things a little differently to maximize our potential. There’s no doubt Deion is different and if he proves to have some coaching chops I don’t think anyone can argue his value in recruiting. “If he has coaching chops” being key to the whole thing not becoming a circus, of course.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I’m conflicted.
On one hand, I think heck no, this feels like an experiment that could fail miserably. I feel like what starts out as a fun and exciting proposition to revamp a winning football program could easily turn into a circus and a major setback.
On the other, I’ve advocated many times our need to do things a little differently to maximize our potential. There’s no doubt Deion is different and if he proves to have some coaching chops I don’t think anyone can argue his value in recruiting. “If he has coaching chops” being key to the whole thing not becoming a circus, of course.
I agree with his energy & recruiting. We would own ATL. Just want to let him crawl, then walk then run. Bring him in as DC, even under CGC, or his replacement. If shows success, then give him the HCinW. But that's the cautious way. Can we win being cautious or do we need to say "damn the torpedo's"?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I agree with his energy & recruiting. We would own ATL. Just want to let him crawl, then walk then run. Bring him in as DC, even under CGC, or his replacement. If shows success, then give him the HCinW. But that's the cautious way. Can we win being cautious or do we need to say "damn the torpedo's"?
Pretty much my conflict... throw in that it’s a short term proposition, regardless.
If Deion wins, he’s moving on. If he loses, we’re paying him to move on. I know the former has us right side up and leaves us with resources for the next guy, but either way, we’re retooling a staff.
I think part of the allure of CGC is that we have a fighting chance of keeping him here if he starts winning. I don’t fault anyone for getting paid, but it seemed (at least from my arms length perspective) that Geoff may not have been as quick to chase offers. I don’t know if that is true now or if it ever has been... I’m just spitballing here. :)
But I will add at this point, we should be erring on the side of Damn the torpedoes

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
God I wish. Hell, we even had stars coming out for a little while when we were really good in the early Johnson years. Deion at Tech would be insanity. But only in our dreams, I think...

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much my conflict... throw in that it’s a short term proposition, regardless.
If Deion wins, he’s moving on. If he loses, we’re paying him to move on. I know the former has us right side up and leaves us with resources for the next guy, but either way, we’re retooling a staff.
I think part of the allure of CGC is that we have a fighting chance of keeping him here if he starts winning. I don’t fault anyone for getting paid, but it seemed (at least from my arms length perspective) that Geoff may not have been as quick to chase offers. I don’t know if that is true now or if it ever has been... I’m just spitballing here. :)
But I will add at this point, we should be erring on the side of Damn the torpedoes
Geoff doesn't have any offers to chase.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I mean we could do way worse. I'd say if CGC doesn't work out, bring in Sanders on a non 7 year deal. That was the killer with Geoff.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, Deion I think is still crawling and definitely not past walking with his recent surgeries. Actually need to wish him well as he recovers. Think its been pretty serious with blood clots in his leg and had two toes amputated.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Bigger than Jackson St challenges?
yes...? I don't know Jackson St's financial and academic situations, but we have some very uphill battles here. We have very low capacity for NIL deals compared to our neighbors and conference. That's aside form APR requirements being at least slightly more difficult to keep up with compared to other places. I really doubt he would want to come here at all anyways.