Defensive Stats after 2 games

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
There is not a lot that these two games can tell us about the defense (one being against a top 5 team and one against lower level competition), but a few things already stand out:

1. We intercepted the ball 3 times in the WCU game. We only had three interceptions ALL YEAR last year.
2. Keion White already has 3 sacks. Our team leader last year (who left for some other school that we won't talk about) only had 3.5.
3. We are averaging 7.5 TFL per game. Last year our average was under 5.
4. We are averaging 3.5 sacks per game. Last year our average was 1.66

Again, I am not trying to extrapolate too much here, just wanted to point out some positive trends on defense. Go Jackets!

JacketFan137

Banned
definitely not perfect over the two games but the defensive side is looking better. feel like the pressure up front from keion is gonna lead to qbs getting hurried which is gonna mean more sacks, turnovers and fumbles for us.

just gotta work on not letting the qb break contain and hurt us with their legs

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I like that our schemes for both games played out as we expected. Ole miss going forward are harder to scheme ( very good qb and rb). It all comes down to I can the dl get any push.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I like that our schemes for both games played out as we expected. Ole miss going forward are harder to scheme ( very good qb and rb). It all comes down to I can the dl get any push.
I think I saw where Dart got benched. I don't know if he got back in or if he won't start against us.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Those who didn’t know- Charlie Thomas didn’t get to play the first half vs WCU.
I don’t think our backups are bad, but the containment is definitely a step up with him back there and I think we can expect more first half of Clemson looks next week. Tragically optimistic once again.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
There is not a lot that these two games can tell us about the defense (one being against a top 5 team and one against lower level competition), but a few things already stand out:

1. We intercepted the ball 3 times in the WCU game. We only had three interceptions ALL YEAR last year.
2. Keion White already has 3 sacks. Our team leader last year (who left for some other school that we won't talk about) only had 3.5.
3. We are averaging 7.5 TFL per game. Last year our average was under 5.
4. We are averaging 3.5 sacks per game. Last year our average was 1.66

Again, I am not trying to extrapolate too much here, just wanted to point out some positive trends on defense. Go Jackets!
I agree we shouldn't extrapolate our defensive performance to date, a lot could change between now and the end of the season, but the front four seems to be the biggest improvement, primarily due to Keion White and I'm guessing Turner has had a positive influence.

We had 2 INTs against last years' FCS opponent KSU, both by Charlie Thomas. He had 1 of the 3 against WCU on Saturday. A very impactful player that we NEED on the field as much as possible when we are on defense.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
True, but interestingly, the coaches saw him as the next best option and moved Eley to THomas' spot and put Tatum in Eley's spot. That move is a sign that 1) Tatum is definitely our next best LB, and 2) our depth is still thin. D Knight was backing up Thomas against Clem's son.
Knight is still learning LB and is unreliable.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
but interestingly, the coaches saw him as the next best option and moved Eley to THomas' spot and put Tatum in Eley's spot. That move is a sign that 1) Tatum is definitely our next best LB, and 2) our depth is still thin. D Knight was backing up Thomas against Clem's son.
Thanks - it looks like by favorite - D Thomas - to make a move from the bench to the field will have to wait.

I wonder if he was not as fast as Tatum in pass coverage OR was he sat down due his issues at protecting the punter. Would cgc sit anyone for that?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Our outside rushers need to learn to loop a bit more outside to contain.
Absolutely. When they rush straight at the QB he most often jukes/fakes inside and then beats our rusher outside (where we no longer have anybody). If our rusher would charge about a yard or so outside the QB, breakdown with outside position, the QB has no choice in the matter and must go inside (where we have other people) to escape. I saw a game a couple of years ago where both ends did this and the QB did not get to the outside at all when pressured. This seems to be a coaching learning moment not yet capitalized on. I see no advantage for our DEs to rush straight at the QB as the mobility mismatch heavily favors the QB as we have repeatedly witnessed.

slugboy

Staff member
On the other hand, “Containment” is one of those problems you get when you have pass coverage and a pass rush.

While both Ole Miss QBs are mobile enough to make us pay for not having contain, it’s a step forward from last year. We’re getting more pressure and they’re running.

WCU tends to turn the ball over a lot, which padded our numbers, but I still view the ints as progress.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I agree we shouldn't extrapolate our defensive performance to date, a lot could change between now and the end of the season, but the front four seems to be the biggest improvement, primarily due to Keion White and I'm guessing Turner has had a positive influence.
On that note:

"Like I told Coach Collins. They are a different football team, especially up front on the defensive side than they were last year"

- WCU HC Kerwin Bell, postgame presser

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Oth, the stats that count aren't encouraging. We are giving up an average of 384 yards a game and 29 points. And that's with an FCS team in there. That has to improve. All those sacks and TFLs don't count for much when you can't keep the other side from scoring.