Defensive MVP...................

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't know who was driving during the first 3 qtrs, but Roof got the keys back after we had a twenty point lead.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hope Mitchell doesnt play next year. I liked him after his fr year but not anymore need to upgrade his spot or he get way better/faster

Mitchell is a good player, Roof just had him in the wrong scheme. He doesn't have the range, speed, or athleticism to play in a scheme where a LB has to cover a lot of area. Playing in a 4-2, that's exactly where you don't wan't someone like Mitchell.

If we go to the rumored 3-5 or 3-4 base next season, you're going to see a BIG jump in how Mitchell plays because he no longer has to worry about defending half the field, as the field is going to be broken into third/quarters/fifths (depending on the defensive call). Mitchell is the classic MLB who is strong between the tackles, but suffers when you have him play in space. He's not a space eating LB you need with today's spread offenses.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Mitchell is a good player, Roof just had him in the wrong scheme. He doesn't have the range, speed, or athleticism to play in a scheme where a LB has to cover a lot of area. Playing in a 4-2, that's exactly where you don't wan't someone like Mitchell.

If we go to the rumored 3-5 or 3-4 base next season, you're going to see a BIG jump in how Mitchell plays because he no longer has to worry about defending half the field, as the field is going to be broken into third/quarters/fifths (depending on the defensive call). Mitchell is the classic MLB who is strong between the tackles, but suffers when you have him play in space. He's not a space eating LB you need with today's spread offenses.
I completely disagree with your assessment. Players make plays regardless of scheme. If a Mike backer has trouble with run fits in a 4-3 then he will have problems with run fits in any defensive scheme. Repetition and better DL play will help with this although we did do much better in the bowl game than in some of the previous games.

Roof did a fantastic job and continues to upgrade our recruiting. He deserves our respect.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I completely disagree with your assessment. Players make plays regardless of scheme. If a Mike backer has trouble with run fits in a 4-3 then he will have problems with run fits in any defensive scheme. Repetition and better DL play will help with this although we did do much better in the bowl game than in some of the previous games.

Roof did a fantastic job and continues to upgrade our recruiting. He deserves our respect.

You must be a personal friend of Roofs because anytime anyone even comes close to criticizing Roof, your alarm bells ring and we get one of these posts.

I'm fine with Roof, and he did a great job with the defense the last 4 games of the season. That said, good coaches put players where they can succeed the best. The fact that you chose to put blame on players instead of a coach tells me all there is. You are wrong about "Players make plays regardless of scheme." Elite players you can say that, but more times than not GT does not get those kinds of players. If you know anything about football, you know a scheme can either enhance a players attributes or expose them. Brant Mitchell is a good player, but he is not right for a 4-2 scheme. Anyone who knows football knows he doesn't have the skillset to cover area required of a 4-2 LB. He's what's termed as a "2 down LB", meaning a LB that's strong against the run, and a liability in the passing game. Unfortunately, in this era of spread football, teams are passing more, which exposes a LB like Brant even more in a 4-2 scheme.

BTW...there's no such thing as "deserve" in this world. Respect is earned. When Roof gets our defense to at least reflect where we have recruited on defense, then he will "earn" my respect. Until then, he's just GT's DC to me.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
BTW...there's no such thing as "deserve" in this world. Respect is earned. When Roof gets our defense to at least reflect where we have recruited on defense, then he will "earn" my respect. Until then, he's just GT's DC to me.
Oh, I don't know about that. i think Stoops deserved the weed whacker treatment Tech gave him and Louisville deserved the righteous ending of their season. But I know what you mean anyway.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I don't know about that. i think Stoops deserved the weed whacker treatment Tech gave him and Louisville deserved the righteous ending of their season. But I know what you mean anyway.

But they both "earned" what they got! :)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Hope Mitchell doesnt play next year. I liked him after his fr year but not anymore need to upgrade his spot or he get way better/faster
Seriously? Look, Mitchell played AWFUL this year. I mean really bad, but he is clearly talented and has the ability to be an All ACC LB. It wasn't just him as the linebacking group as a whole was very bad. I very much hope he plays next year and just hope he and the entire linebacking group fix a lot of issues.

2016 Linebackers = 2015 O-Line

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow

You must enjoy the feeling of constantly being on the verge of having a heart attack then. That is the number 1 side effect of a Ted Roof D and it has been proven and exposed the past two years. While he may recruit well, as was stated above, he does not put his players in the highest percentage for success on a given play. All you have to do is watch the first 11 games of the season where we get paper cut the first half, then things start to get tightened up after the half. When a DB is playing 8-10yds off a receiver and back pedals immediately once the ball is hiked what do you expect the QB to do??? Exactly what happened over and over and over and over again.
Ted has tendencies that he repeats in a pattern that is easily discernable. Which means an easier game plan to plan against if you are GT's opponent. So tell me again why he deserves our respect?

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Seriously? Look, Mitchell played AWFUL this year. I mean really bad, but he is clearly talented and has the ability to be an All ACC LB. It wasn't just him as the linebacking group as a whole was very bad. I very much hope he plays next year and just hope he and the entire linebacking group fix a lot of issues.

2016 Linebackers = 2015 O-Line
Yeah thats what I said, if he plays alot hopefully he is way better.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
You must enjoy the feeling of constantly being on the verge of having a heart attack then. That is the number 1 side effect of a Ted Roof D and it has been proven and exposed the past two years. While he may recruit well, as was stated above, he does not put his players in the highest percentage for success on a given play. All you have to do is watch the first 11 games of the season where we get paper cut the first half, then things start to get tightened up after the half. When a DB is playing 8-10yds off a receiver and back pedals immediately once the ball is hiked what do you expect the QB to do??? Exactly what happened over and over and over and over again.
Ted has tendencies that he repeats in a pattern that is easily discernable. Which means an easier game plan to plan against if you are GT's opponent. So tell me again why he deserves our respect?
He did a fantastic job with the personnel he had all year. We got better as the year went along. In the bowl game we held the 12th rated rushing team who is also SEC to 69 yards! If you think someone is magically going to come in and make us the steel curtain you are delusional.

The scheme is sound and kept us in ball games. If Ted changes schemes, which I don't think he should, it still comes down to player's executing fundamentals like run fits.

We won 9 ball games. You don't do that unless you play defense and ours will continue to play well under Roof. CPJ knows that and like I've said many times on this board if Paul fires Roof he won't be far behind.