Defensive MVP...................

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Gamble became our most consistent defensive lineman after the Australian finished. He was a 'tweener, and I never expected him to have such a career. He wasn't heavy or stout enough for a true defensive tackle and a step too slow for end. PJ said one time he succeeds through pure toughness.

I hope Ibeebalin's right about us filling his spot. Unless it's Adams with some weight off, I haven't seen who it might be yet.
If he doesn't make it in the NFL he will have a long career in the CFL.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see him get drafted. Draft picks have an inside path to making a team vs FAs. Good workouts & senior bowl performance could prove me wrong. I hope so.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe a strong side 4-3 end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just dont see it. He is a tweener player for sde. To slow for rush downs. To small for a 4-3 tackle in the nfl. He also had nagging injuries which may hurt his draft potential.

Again for me, i think his path is doing well in the senior bowls and a late round depth pick. If he doesnt do well in those bowls he wont be drafted

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
D played great yesterday. I saw a few delayed blitz combinations that I'm not sure if they were designed or just cases of players making plays, but they were impressive.

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. There were several good performances at the end of the year that were encouraging, but we also got pushed around moat of the game in Athens.

Overall I like how we have been trending in D though. Hopefully we can continue to build on this. Lots of guys coming back next year that have played a lot. Need someone to step up at LB though.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think LB is maybe the easiest one to get production from a tfrosh or rs frosh. Experience still matters but less so at LB imo. Swilling could be a possible contributor. Time will tell. Maybe a veteran takes the next step or someone not on my radar will.

Front 7 needs improvement though and we have a couple of our best defenders to replace.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Griffin is my D-MVP this year. Lots of great tackles and being in the right places. Led the team in tackles this season, and had heck of a bowl game.

Gamble is the quintessential GT DL. A body for depth purposes his first two seasons, but developed into a key member of the DL his JR season. Was invaluable this season for the DL and steadied the DL until the younger guys found their footing. He played really well as a senior. He will leave the DL in better shape than when he first got here. He's what you hope for when GT recruits DLs. On the next level, to me he's more of 3-4 DE that's a better run stopper than pass rusher. Good thing about the next level is the NFL loves those statues at QB compared to all the spread dual threat QBs on this level. He's going to get a shot at the NFL as a camp invitee.

Next season, guys like KCH, Glanton, and Adams should hold their own. VERY excited about Saint-Amour, Simmons and finally getting to unwrap Jordan Woods. We are in MUCH better shape on the DL than we have been in since the 2008 team with 4 future NFL players.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Griffin is my D-MVP this year. Lots of great tackles and being in the right places. Led the team in tackles this season, and had heck of a bowl game.

Gamble is the quintessential GT DL. A body for depth purposes his first two seasons, but developed into a key member of the DL his JR season. Was invaluable this season for the DL and steadied the DL until the younger guys found their footing. He played really well as a senior. He will leave the DL in better shape than when he first got here. He's what you hope for when GT recruits DLs. On the next level, to me he's more of 3-4 DE that's a better run stopper than pass rusher. Good thing about the next level is the NFL loves those statues at QB compared to all the spread dual threat QBs on this level. He's going to get a shot at the NFL as a camp invitee.

Next season, guys like KCH, Glanton, and Adams should hold their own. VERY excited about Saint-Amour, Simmons and finally getting to unwrap Jordan Woods. We are in MUCH better shape on the DL than we have been in since the 2008 team with 4 future NFL players.
I'd love to see the Falcons invite Gamble to training camp.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I used to want Falcons to draft / sign Tech guys. Then I got to see the Falcons waste Brooking's career away (wasn't around to see Tommy Nobis or maybe I'd have seen it coming).

Maybe the new regime will be different. Dunno don't care. Not a Falcons fan anymore. I just follow teams with our guys on them...hello Denver.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I used to want Falcons to draft / sign Tech guys. Then I got to see the Falcons waste Brooking's career away (wasn't around to see Tommy Nobis or maybe I'd have seen it coming).

Maybe the new regime will be different. Dunno don't care. Not a Falcons fan anymore. I just follow teams with our guys on them...hello Denver.

In fairness to the Falcons, they did sign Kevin Cone as a free agent and had him on the roster for a few years...even after only having 5 catches his entire GT career. And they did draft and sign Vance Walker who played out his rookie contract with them.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm cautiously optimistic about the defense next year. We continue to get a little better athletically thanks to Roof, Pelton and McCollum's recruiting skills. PJD played over his head his entire career and I'm proud of that but I worry about the athleticism of our linebacker's as a whole. Maybe one or two will step up. I hope so.

As far as scheme goes we pretty much played less aggressive yesterday and had one of our better games. We rushed 4 most of the time but did bring 5 and 6 on occasion. Even when we were bringing 6, pressure was generally being put on by our D linemen. Our DL led by 42 and 93 put more pressure on than in previous games.

Congrats to our DC who heard alot of noise this year and still got everything this bunch had in them in my opinion.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck

I think some of you are forgetting Desmond Branch. He has been getting more PT at DT as the season progressed and has been making a mark.

If one of our DEs could play some outside linebacker, I think that would give us flexibility to play some 3-4 when it makes sense then shift to a 4-3 based on what they see.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Gamble became our most consistent defensive lineman after the Australian finished. He was a 'tweener, and I never expected him to have such a career. He wasn't heavy or stout enough for a true defensive tackle and a step too slow for end. PJ said one time he succeeds through pure toughness.

I hope Ibeebalin's right about us filling his spot. Unless it's Adams with some weight off, I haven't seen who it might be yet.

Branch IMO.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Hope Mitchell doesnt play next year. I liked him after his fr year but not anymore need to upgrade his spot or he get way better/faster