Film Room Defensive Breakdown vs. VPISU Drive 1 and 2

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Looks like having PJ back was pretty helpful. Rook also seemed to be heading to the right spots constantly. Brant wasn't particularly fun to watch. He seems both passive and out of position constantly. Not a good combination. VT really didn't seem to attack the middle of the field much on those first 2 drives.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So wait. U are saying i was right about our ridiculous S depth all along and the awful depth relationship with the under covg. Lol.

Shocking i tell you. Shocking. :) But there is no way i coulda known this as i am not a d1a coach. Must have been luck on my part

Lol....u have bitched about damn near every aspect of our D so u were guaranteed a self slap on the back regardless of ballin's answer :D

How about some kudos for Sewak? You've been ranting on him too. How did such an obviously bad (in ur opinion) coach get that kind of play by the Oline with 3 true frosh starting?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Lol....u have bitched about damn near every aspect of our D so u were guaranteed a self slap on the back regardless of ballin's answer :D

How about some kudos for Sewak? You've been ranting on him too. How did such an obviously bad (in ur opinion) coach get that kind of play by the Oline with 3 true frosh starting?

Those 3 Freshman OL possess some nastiness that we we have been lacking. It also doesn't hurt that they all over 300lbs either

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Those 3 Freshman OL possess some nastiness that we we have been lacking. It also doesn't hurt that they all over 300lbs either

Oh I agree on those three. But they are also pretty obviously coached up IMO. They have talent but also knew where to go for the most part. Also shows a good football IQ for them. (Also outstanding poise in a hostile environment)

Success, or failure, on the field is usually attributable to players and coaches alike. That doesn't fit with certain fan narratives though.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Oh I agree on those three. But they are also pretty obviously coached up IMO. They have talent but also knew where to go for the most part. Also shows a good football IQ for them.

Success, or failure, on the field is usually contributable to players and coaches alike. That doesn't fit with certain fan narratives though.

Talent? What's that?

Yes, Sewak deserve some credit for have those guys prepared

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
As fast as VT scored those last two TD, we probably should stayed a bit longer in the defense used in the rest of the game. CPJ noted the speed of the scoring as well in the post game presser. VT scored the last two TD in 3:14 and 2:25 and did so despite having to drive the nearly the length of the field both times.

Under the existing circumstances to run the clock this was the right D, but unfortunately it looks all too much like our usual D in previous games and it should tell us to do something else going forward.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Talent? What's that?
Is this a dig at those who suggest we have limited talent on D? I'm one of them and that's ok. However, when I say talent, or lack thereof, I'm mostly referring to god given measurables like speed, quickness, size, length. Maybe I should use a different term, I dunno what though. A guy can have great instincts, like PJ Davis, but be limited in certain aspects of his job, like covering TE's, due to his size.

Our D is also hurt by at least one guy who has the opposite problem, nice measurables, but limited natural ability/instincts.

We also have guys who are limited in both catagories, measurables and instincts.

And then we have guys who have a nice mix of these things, but who are young and inexperienced or haven't peaked physically yet. They have a nice upside on potential, but that doesn't help us now.

We'd be hard put to name a guy, any guy, who has all three: ideal measurables, instincts and experience right now. Maybe Pat comes the closest.

All that said, I in no way think our coaching has been top notch, in preparation or in scheme. We could likely have more success with some of the suggestions made on this board.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Cooper around 300. The other two are way short of 300, especially Lee. But you are right about their nastiness and they move well and block well are are durable and tough. They will be pushing Bryan, Burden, and Klock to keep up.

Jmonty71

Banned
This showed me one thing. It was more VT being off their game, then it was us imposing our defense upon them. Don't get me wrong, it was good to see a little more attacking, however; VT did commit a lot of errors. It was, by far, the worse outing I've seen them have all year. With that said, let's see the D shut UVA and UGA down before we go rejoicing too much.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
This showed me one thing. It was more VT being off their game, then it was us imposing our defense upon them. Don't get me wrong, it was good to see a little more attacking, however; VT did commit a lot of errors. It was, by far, the worse outing I've seen them have all year. With that said, let's see the D shut UVA and UGA down before we go rejoicing too much.

You must not have seen them against TN

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Cooper around 300. The other two are way short of 300, especially Lee. But you are right about their nastiness and they move well and block well are are durable and tough. They will be pushing Bryan, Burden, and Klock to keep up.

What has happened with Klock? He was the starting tackle and the beginning of the season. I know he got hurt and missed a few games but I thought he was back. Did he play any during the VT game?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
What has happened with Klock? He was the starting tackle and the beginning of the season. I know he got hurt and missed a few games but I thought he was back. Did he play any during the VT game?

Don't know his overall health status but he did come in when Eason got dinged in the second half. Don't know if he played more or not.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Kinda bland but A lot of man coverage in the first few drives.

Some corrections:
-Start of the 2nd drive is Gun Strong
- I said bunch but I meant Trips in the boundary

Here you go

On the play at the 1:55 mark the whole DL but the DE on the left side all shifted right and formed like a pocket to the right, it wasn't like they were shooting gaps that way, but looked to be just shifting over after the ball had been snapped. What would be the reason for this? Does it allow the LB's to run more freely on the back side of that pocket?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
On the play at the 1:55 mark the whole DL but the DE on the left side all shifted right and formed like a pocket to the right, it wasn't like they were shooting gaps that way, but looked to be just shifting over after the ball had been snapped. What would be the reason for this? Does it allow the LB's to run more freely on the back side of that pocket?

Appear they are just maintaining their gaps vs the slide protect. If it was man coverage, you would like to the MLB green dog the back

Green Dog: when a defender rushes the QB after his man coverage assignment stays into pass block

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Appear they are just maintaining their gaps vs the slide protect. If it was man coverage, you would like to the MLB green dog the back

Green Dog: when a defender rushes the QB after his man coverage assignment stays into pass block

How long does a defender wait before "Green Dog", i.e. to make sure the back isn't just chipping and then leaking out to the flat?