Film Room Defensive Breakdown vs. VPISU Drive 1 and 2

Jmonty71

Banned
Man, press coverage? You mean what I had been saying for 6 weeks now? It allowed us to be more aggressive. Again... saying it for the last 6 weeks now.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
Paul mentioned something about not being middle of the road on D. If we're blitzing, the house is coming, if we are in coverage, we're backing off... Was that blatantly obvious, or was it just better execution of what we normally do?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
It looks like better execution to me

Same here. It's not like we were running all kinds of exotic stunts and twists and games up front, although I don't think anyone doubts that those can help in certain circumstances.

Watch the second half; I almost fell out of my chair when I saw we were getting pressure with THREE. We ended up with five sacks and I don't know that any of them came from us bringing the house - they came when we rushed 3 and 4. The naysayer might argue that the sacks came when we knew they were going to throw ... but compare that to other games this year when it was 3rd and 12 and we knew they were going to throw and we couldn't get pressure with SIX.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Same here. It's not like we were running all kinds of exotic stunts and twists and games up front, although I don't think anyone doubts that those can help in certain circumstances.

Watch the second half; I almost fell out of my chair when I saw we were getting pressure with THREE. We ended up with five sacks and I don't know that any of them came from us bringing the house - they came when we rushed 3 and 4. The naysayer might argue that the sacks came when we knew they were going to throw ... but compare that to other games this year when it was 3rd and 12 and we knew they were going to throw and we couldn't get pressure with SIX.

Gamble was especially disruptive and he slapped the ball loose at least 3 times. Kallon was good in mop up after Gamble chased the QB out of the pocket. Simmons was Simmons making a few plays and St A and Freeman got in on the action as well. Rook made a couple of really good plays in space that probably saved big yardage. Team Effort.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Gamble was especially disruptive and he slapped the ball loose at least 3 times. Kallon was good in mop up after Gamble chased the QB out of the pocket. Simmons was Simmons making a few plays and St A and Freeman got in on the action as well. Rook made a couple of really good plays in space that probably saved big yardage. Team Effort.
Anree had a sack, too, and rushed the passer well.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Thanks dude. So what was your takeaway about what the big difference in what GT did this week than waht happened in weeks past?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
A lot more man coverage, being in position to make a play, and maybe, just maybe a lack of respect of VT receivers beating them over the top. This may be as shallow as I've seen our safeties play

So wait. U are saying i was right about our ridiculous S depth all along and the awful depth relationship with the under covg. Lol.

Shocking i tell you. Shocking. :) But there is no way i coulda known this as i am not a d1a coach. Must have been luck on my part

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What about the difference in most of the game and VT's last two drives?

Last two drives was deep S again with prevent mode. For sure u could see it. We were in big zones alot then....i havent looked but i am going to guess alot of deep quarters and 3 deeps

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Last two drives was deep S again with prevent mode. For sure u could see it. We were in big zones alot then....i havent looked but i am going to guess alot of deep quarters and 3 deeps

As fast as VT scored those last two TD, we probably should stayed a bit longer in the defense used in the rest of the game. CPJ noted the speed of the scoring as well in the post game presser. VT scored the last two TD in 3:14 and 2:25 and did so despite having to drive the nearly the length of the field both times.