Film Room Defensive Breakdown vs. Tennessee Pt. 1

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Situational awareness = yuck.

slot CB and outside CB alignment should have been inverted. Austin 20 should have been closer to LOS, and at least jammed him. He had help over the top in 2 safeties. If Griffin was responsible for the TE...double yuck. CB at the bottom had a littlemore leeway to give a cushion as he was outside the far hash. EASY pitch and catch. 2 guys were actually open since our defense gave them a gaping hole to pass into over the middle.

3rd and 3...and after he snapped it, you knew it was a pass...there wasn't even any playaction to sell the run. Mitchell was caught in no man's land looking all over the place. Just wasted a defender that could have clogged space and gave the QB an extra defender to think about. Should have stayed to the right side to clog space and bracket the slot guys.

Mitchell had coverage on the RB and late in the play the RB released to the right flat drawing Mitchell in that direction. If our blitzing LB comes from the left outside causing the RB to block him then Mitchell would be free to bracket the slot guys as you suggest.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Mitchell had coverage on the RB and late in the play the RB released to the right flat drawing Mitchell in that direction. If our blitzing LB comes from the left outside causing the RB to block him then Mitchell would be free to bracket the slot guys as you suggest.

Yeah, Mitchell was caught in no man's land, and it wasn't his fault. Design of that defensive call was flawed from the get go. Our slot CB giving the slot WR free run over the middle and lining up 6 yards off on 3rd and 3? Oy. Mitchell had no business essentially trying to cover the entire middle part of the field.

Probably should have played the CBs a yard off the WR, and jammed them to give our DL time to collapse the pocket. LBs should have delayed a bit and seeing that it wasn't a run, had Vic shadow the RB while giving Mitchell the freedom to blitz or occupy space to cover the trips side.

If Roof was going to blitz, against that set, I would have brought AJ gray down to the LOS and blitzed him (as he did earlier in the game) and let Griffin play as the lone safety to the trips side. Let Durham play man to the single WR side. That would have also helped us had UT decided to run the ball because now AJ is in the box for run support as well acting as a defacto 3rd LB.

You gotta trust that your guys can make the plays, and put them in positions to do it. Our positioning and awareness was left much to be desired on that one.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I love our student athletes and these post are not an intent to call out or belittle any of our players... I just want some of @Ibeeballin insight.

Here are some same situations as above:

Holy crap. Both plays the defense is not only playing off on 4th and short, but BACK PEDALING!!! By the grace of the football gods, Dormady was trigger shy on the first play as 2 guys were open, and the TE just butterfingers the 2nd play that is a first down if he catches it.

Yikes.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin Can you tell me why no one is protecting the first down line here

This defense is a quarters covg island defense. The concept is the weak side CB is in full man on an island. The trips side, 20 is lined up off incase 3 runs a drag he doesn't get picked by 2. The concept here is 20 has to watch 3 and play two. If three cuts his route short into the flats towards the sideline 20 has to come off 2 for support and 14 has to pick up 2, the new #3. 14 watches 3, if 3 breaks off inside, he is SUPPOSED to rob 2. and 5 picks up 3. I don't think 5 was playing a backside rattle on 3. He never watched 3 until he crossed his zone. 5 was looking for flats responsibility with mike on the weakside until 3 came into his zone.

if 2 goes deep 20 goes with him, but if 3 cross into 2, 14 has to get 2, the new 3 deep on a switch.

this is why austin is lined up this way.

Two things. 14 did not rob 2. When 3 broke his route off, he should have busted his arse to rob 2. 20 needs to be aware. He could have aligned 2 yards tighter. But...he did his job.

We blitzed, so we knew the qb was going to read hot inside with press man outside....

This play SHOULD have been an interception folks.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I love our student athletes and these post are not an intent to call out or belittle any of our players... I just want some of @Ibeeballin insight.

the next two plays are the exact same D calls. what is interesting is I just picked up a film issue with UT. In trips, they are only using half field reads. We gave them the exact same D each time and the weak side WR and on the second play RB, were wide the hell open, but running half speed. They knew they were never going to get the ball. on 3rd down it was a 1 and 2 double slant read. On 4th the read was 2 3 primary read, 1 was a clear out. What is interesting is this was the same on the first play longestday posted, that the read was a 2/3 combo with a 1 clear out. They had a trips tendency. In the second half...they went to the backside WR more...they adjusted...exposed us as a result.

both D's appear to be quarter quarter halfs with an extra db since we only rushed 3. The weakside coverage was bad, and in the second play on 4th down no one bothered to cover the flats while dropping 8. That is inexcusable. And based on 8 taking deep 1/4 passing off the slant, I can't tell who the heck was supposed to get the RB. 9 dropped hard I think he had read key 3 but I can't tell what he is doing exactly. It makes no sense. 8 dropped for deep zone, and the inside DB (can't tell his number 23 or 28?) fell into some weak arse zone I have no idea what he is doing. Someone between 9 and that other db totally screwed the pooch. One should key the RB and if the RB blocks drop. The second play the rb went flats and the guy still dropped. This should have been a UT first down.

first play 20 tried to jump the route for a pick. 51 did the right thing, when he saw 2 come inside turned in. WTF is 9 doing??? He has 3 if 51 jumps the inside route of 2. I think 9 was in backside 3 read on this play. He totally ignored 3. Not disciplined.

we played 3rd down good guys. My only complaint is both 1s need to be press in quarters coverage. 20 can walk up a tad more. its a loose alignment. When you have 2 deep S and a corner playing deep 1/3 the inside guys need to be tighter. But we jumped the stick routes ok on 3rd down.

4th down....disaster on the backside of the play. Disaster. 17 needed to come off 1 for flats coverage on 2 and pass his guy to the S on the hash. He didn't. 20 did what he is being asked again. Seems consistent. But both 20 and 51 were too far off to matter. If the qb dumped it into the flats or could hit his receiver its a first down. We did nothing on this down to deserve to get off the field. And honestly, on a 2 yard 4th down, wtf are we doing calling a D with 2 S 13 yards from the los....Maybe one that deep...no need for 2. Rush 4 or 5 and play more cover 3 it that scenario IMO.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This defense is a quarters covg island defense. The concept is the weak side CB is in full man on an island. The trips side, 20 is lined up off incase 3 runs a drag he doesn't get picked by 2. The concept here is 20 has to watch 3 and play two. If three cuts his route short into the flats towards the sideline 20 has to come off 2 for support and 14 has to pick up 2, the new #3. 14 watches 3, if 3 breaks off inside, he is SUPPOSED to rob 2. and 5 picks up 3. I don't think 5 was playing a backside rattle on 3. He never watched 3 until he crossed his zone. 5 was looking for flats responsibility with mike on the weakside until 3 came into his zone.

if 2 goes deep 20 goes with him, but if 3 cross into 2, 14 has to get 2, the new 3 deep on a switch.

this is why austin is lined up this way.

Two things. 14 did not rob 2. When 3 broke his route off, he should have busted his arse to rob 2. 20 needs to be aware. He could have aligned 2 yards tighter. But...he did his job.

We blitzed, so we knew the qb was going to read hot inside with press man outside....

This play SHOULD have been an interception folks.
So are you saying the scheme is sound and it was just misplayed?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
So are you saying the scheme is sound and it was just misplayed?

On this play it was a good call. The general scheme is not sound as evidence by longest day next two plays, it made no sense. We had 6 line up for stick routes then dropped. The only part that i would have the scheme change on this play is to walk up 20 2-3 yards. It was misplayed by the S imo. It was a good play for that formation.

The next two the scheme was not great and it was misplayed. We got seriously lucky. UT took advantage in H2.

We still have the same issues on d we will every years. Alot of it is scheme. Some is discipline on simple basics. Not as much is talent in my eyes. We are right there everytime. We could be much better with the guys we have.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
On this play it was a good call. The general scheme is not sound as evidence by longest day next two plays, it made no sense. We had 6 line up for stick routes then dropped. The only part that i would have the scheme change on this play is to walk up 20 2-3 yards. It was misplayed by the S imo. It was a good play for that formation.

The next two the scheme was not great and it was misplayed. We got seriously lucky. UT took advantage in H2.

We still have the same issues on d we will every years. Alot of it is scheme. Some is discipline on simple basics. Not as much is talent in my eyes. We are right there everytime. We could be much better with the guys we have.
Maybe Roof chooses his schemes based on our talent, not because he doesn't know anything else?

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
The talent issue is so over blown. What hes doing now isnt working, so who cares if we dont have the "talent" for different scheme. Whats worst thats gonna happen, we get torched like weve been doing last 5 years? We obviously dont have the talent for our current scheme based on results. You know what they say..keep doing same thing and expecting different results is definition of .....

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The talent issue is so over blown. What hes doing now isnt working, so who cares if we dont have the "talent" for different scheme. Whats worst thats gonna happen, we get torched like weve been doing last 5 years? We obviously dont have the talent for our current scheme based on results. You know what they say..keep doing same thing and expecting different results is definition of .....
Marriage?

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
You can't play a vanilla base nickel Defense with a lack of closing speed and constant pressure front the front 4.

Alabama can get away with this a lot because of their team speed and pressure from the front 4. We have to take gambles and play pressure coverage, blitz a lot etc, to try and create turnovers.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Roof chooses his schemes based on our talent, not because he doesn't know anything else?

Who said he doesnt know anything else? Man u love to reply to put words in other peoples mouths

What i said and will repeatedly say is we will never have a good enough d consistently under roof due to what he chooses to run and the schemes he prefers. I know this because i studied what he ran at other schools. Its the same. And they had the same problems more years than not. Tfl l. Sacks. Ppd. 3rd down conversion

And his schemes simply will never product tfl. Many sacks. And will bend and break more than needed.

I will stick by my opinion. Which has been out there for years. His d scheme doesnt work in ncaa football anymore. It gets eaten up by modern passing trends

Its all talent. Lol. Ok man. Its the players. We clearly have bottom 1/3 d1 talent every year for 5 years. Lol

alagold

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin Can you tell me why no one is protecting the first down line here

This is an example of a DEF which is ineffective.The LB blitzing goes to same hole as 97.--Stopped cold.. The DBs allow the WR to shield.All Tenn needed was 4 yds! (17 allowed a similar play in 4th qtr).No DB nor LB tried to go underneath where the WRs were.Its taking a chance but that is how you get a stop when you have NO sacks.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

4th and 2 and we give them 5 yds! actually there were 3 guys probably open here esp at top with TB coming out of backfield."Just depend on them dropping it" type def.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
4th and 2 and we give them 5 yds! actually there were 3 guys probably open here esp at top with TB coming out of backfield."Just depend on them dropping it" type def.
Our whole defensive scheme is predicated on hoping the other team's offense just screws up on their own.