Film Room Defensive Breakdown vs. Tennessee Pt. 1

slugboy

Staff member
Thanks.
I looked at the first series, and the corners were off the screen quickly, but it looked like they were getting blocked out of the play before then.
Looks like they were doubling our ends on the play side, and felt like they could take our tackles head on.
It seemed like a play that should be no gain or a loss, but tackling was a problem.
I haven't changed my avatar in a while, but are you keeping DM for now? I would have loved for him to stay, but we looked OK at B-Back.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks that was great as always! I liked your comment about Tenuta. Did he do a good job making things simple for his players? What would you take from Tenuta to incorporate into our defense?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Thanks that was great as always! I liked your comment about Tenuta. Did he do a good job making things simple for his players? What would you take from Tenuta to incorporate into our defense?

Not really. His playbook was a full 2 inch binder. He ran very few plays, so once you learned those, the concept behind it, and the other player responsibilities the playbook sorta came together

I definitely would incorporate his attacking and his "knowing the menu" which includes being aware of what's in front of you: personnel, down & distance, formation recognition

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin Can you tell me why no one is protecting the first down line here

Situational awareness = yuck.

slot CB and outside CB alignment should have been inverted. Austin 20 should have been closer to LOS, and at least jammed him. He had help over the top in 2 safeties. If Griffin was responsible for the TE...double yuck. CB at the bottom had a littlemore leeway to give a cushion as he was outside the far hash. EASY pitch and catch. 2 guys were actually open since our defense gave them a gaping hole to pass into over the middle.

3rd and 3...and after he snapped it, you knew it was a pass...there wasn't even any playaction to sell the run. Mitchell was caught in no man's land looking all over the place. Just wasted a defender that could have clogged space and gave the QB an extra defender to think about. Should have stayed to the right side to clog space and bracket the slot guys.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@Ibeeballin Can you tell me why no one is protecting the first down line here

The nickel alignment suggest he wants the slant to happen because he knows Corey is there to jump it. Instead Corey jumps #3 who was essentially slanted right into AJ. To answer your question, idk why but the nickel align tighter or Corey, at the snap, should come down screaming to get at the sticks

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I love our student athletes and these post are not an intent to call out or belittle any of our players... I just want some of @Ibeeballin insight.

Here are some same situations as above:

Last edited:

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I only remembered while watching this that UT was playing with backup OTs. The SDE was getting lots of push and penetration as was the 3-Tech and both were really close to some sacks. KeShun was getting nothing against a backup and that is not a good sign for the rest of the year unless UT was just super deep at LT. We have to figure out some way to get production at the position that should be generating the most pass rush.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This scheme just doesn't work for GT. Plus I'm just not sure why the defense has so many defensive lapses.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really liked Branch and Kyle's... the DE did well when not being held. The DL has improved.

There was a mix of schemes, some fake blitzes, and more press/cushion CB coverages. There were only a few blitzes there were let them know you are blitzing blitzes and let them block you.

The 3rd down/4th down DB coverages are confusing. They leave no protection of the line of gain and look to depend on a drop or sack. I don't know enough to know what is right or wrong... just that this is the outcome.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
If you believe it's talent then are you referring to physical talent or mental talent/aptitude?

Because I don't know how you can watch this and conclude that the main problem is that they got out talented. Our D does not recognize where they are supposed to go or what the play is, along with not knowing great tackling form and proper angles to take. I personally don't believe these kids are mentally untalented so it is purely a coaching issue in my eyes. They are not being put in a place to succeed and the proper information isn't being taught in a way that they can learn it. I'd understand the talent argument if we were doing everything right and just getting straight up beat, but it doesn't hold up when we empty an entire clip into our foot by not knowing where to go.