Defense regression

falconholic26

Banned
I’m sure we will hear the same ole bs in the post game conference, Don’t get me wrong I like Collins for what he trying to do but we have not had a worst coaching since Bill Lewis. He needs to start taking ownership and cut the dead weight of he needs to take a hike

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure we will hear the same ole bs in the post game conference, Don’t get me wrong I like Collins for what he trying to do but we have not had a worst coaching since Bill Lewis. He needs to start taking ownership and cut the dead weight of he needs to take a hike

Collins: “We are building an ELITE football organization and a high performing team. We did exceptionally well in all facets of the game today. Boston College is an outstanding program, the Clemson of the North. Had we scored five more touchdowns, we would have won. I told the team at the half, ‘when you’re getting your butt whipped on tv, just remember, I’m totally behind you.”

jk

BonesGT

Georgia Tech Fan
What's George O'leary up to these days? Considering his past relationship with our HC, just wondering if he could help consult with our young defensive coaches or in a worst case scenario take over our defensive coordinator position. The team and especially the defense looks like it could use more discipline. IDK, just tough loving GT so much and looking so forward to the games each week and then feeling completely out of it after halftime....

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins: “We are building an ELITE football organization and a high performing team. We did exceptionally well in all facets of the game today. Boston College is an outstanding program, the Clemson of the North. Had we scored five more touchdowns, we would have won. I told the team at the half, ‘when you’re getting your butt whipped on tv, just remember, I’m totally behind you.”

jk
Dan Quinn vibes. Lol

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Moved this from the other thread......A few observations about today.
1. Coming out on the first play not ready to play and letting the BC D-Line walk right into the back field and bust up the opening play....saved by a roughing call.
2. .Setting up to punt from the opposing team's 28 yard line in the first quarter....have never seen that in over 50 years of watching football and for good reason. It is ridiculous. If you are going to have the punter throw from there, run a play and let your QB do it.
3. A stupid on-sides kick in the second quarter, and to make it worse, telegraphing with an on-sides set up. Cannot surprise them that way. Dumb!
4. A defense in which the players are looking to the sideline for a call a second or two before the ball is snapped. They are often not lined and up and ready when the ball is snapped.
5. A defense in which the players have no idea which receivers to cover and where they leave the entire secondary open for the BC QB, who is very slow, to make easy long runs.
6. Another missed extra point.
7. Players who look like they do not want to be out there.
8. Continually turning 2nd and short into 3rd and long.....bad play calling.
9. Playing passively on offense and defense. There is no passion.
10. After bad plays, the players get pats on the helmet when they get to the sideline but no coaching!

The defensive coordinator needs to go, and CGC has no clue how to manage a game. They are lost out there. Very poor coaching. I could go on.

Loong time season ticket holder and will remain so. But this reminds me of Bill Lewis' team.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Can you blame them?
Of course not. I just want to give them the opportunity to vent without repercussions. And I don't mean the mods, I refer to the people who feel the need to defend everything that happens. Sometimes, folks just need to get things off their chest to feel better.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Of course not. I just want to give them the opportunity to vent without repercussions. And I don't mean the mods, I refer to the people who feel the need to defend everything that happens. Sometimes, folks just need to get things off their chest to feel better.

This is what happened on the basketball board. For reference, the basketball board is pretty much dead because of it. Over emotional reactionary venting leads to the posters who want to focus on actual discussion to finding somewhere else to go.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
This is what happened on the basketball board. For reference, the basketball board is pretty much dead because of it. Over emotional reactionary venting leads to the posters who want to focus on actual discussion to finding somewhere else to go.
I agree with this. I just wish there was one "venting thread" to contain the hard core negativity to one thread. It would not be welcome in the normal discussion threads. It would cut back on a lot of the bickering.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I am beginning to think Collins may not be the guy. What I have seen these last 2 games is atrocious. You cannot tell me we have worse talent that BC. However we are being outclassed by a first year coach. I have no idea what is going on defensively. BC is not a great offensive team yet we make them look like the KC Chiefs. Maybe Collins needs to take over the defense as it appears Thacker is in over his head.
Actually, I was surprised at the talent differential on the defensive front 7's. I think when folks take a deep breath, they'll see different body types across the front 7, regardless of what the recruit rankings and size on depth charts say.

BC's linebackers easily outclass ours. They look different and play different. It was like two Knight body types that knew their assignments and played confidently/aggressively. (Knight may get there; still young).

Would you take our DL over BC's? I'm not so sure. At one point our DL was: Ryans, Brooks, Griffin, Domineck. At a glance I'd say BC and most ACC DLs beat that on recruiting ranking/offer sheet talent.

I'm not absolving the coaching by any means, but I think front talent is issue #1 to correct. We recruited some really good DEs and have some already playing. Same goes with LB from 2020 class and Knight if he can play consistent. DT is our weakness in terms of having recruited true difference-makers, and it's a big gap, but there is a rising tide across the front 7 that will help any DC look better.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I was surprised at the talent differential on the defensive front 7's. I think when folks take a deep breath, they'll see different body types across the front 7, regardless of what the recruit rankings and size on depth charts say.

BC's linebackers easily outclass ours. They look different and play different. It was like two Knight body types that knew their assignments and played confidently/aggressively. (Knight may get there; still young).

Would you take our DL over BC's? I'm not so sure. At one point our DL was: Ryans, Brooks, Griffin, Domineck. At a glance I'd say BC and most ACC DLs beat that on recruiting ranking/offer sheet talent.

I'm not absolving the coaching by any means, but I think talent is issue #1.
I hope your "think" is right, but you know as well as me that we don't yet know if this is the #1 issue - we know it is a big issue - #1 could still be coaching. But, I will agree with you that no DC can do miracles without P5 DT's and LB's. I do think we have had a few that did some miracles to keep us in games though.

falconholic26

Banned
The season is gone so if I don’t see all the freshmen and sophomores playing on defense next week I’m going to blow a gasket, Curry j Thomas needs to never see the field again and there’s about 4 more that are not that far behind