Defense regression

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'll throw out one other theory after the last two consecutive weeks which is founded on nothing other than speculation. Are our defensive signals getting stolen? Are our guys giving tells? I really hope we can self-scout and figure out a light switch there to turn this thing around, otherwise we have real issues. I don't expect our D to be game-changers given the issues up front, but the striking lack of resistance today reminded me of MTSU. While the MTSU game felt worse being there Live, I had similar feelings of helplessness today, and it turned out our signals were stolen.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I hope your "think" is right, but you know as well as me that we don't yet know if this is the #1 issue - we know it is a big issue - #1 could still be coaching. But, I will agree with you that no DC can do miracles without P5 DT's and LB's. I do think we have had a few that did some miracles to keep us in games though.
We have frankly been pretty terrible on D for a while, spanning multiple HCs and many more DCs. I think talent is issue #1, including attrition there for the 2nd consecutive year.

BC outclassed us on that side before the ball was snapped. I challenge everyone to turn on just a few plays of the BC D and look at their guys, then look at ours, and tell me there is not a clear difference.

We are behind BC talent-wise on D this year, and we should be able to outrecruit BC. That truly is reason for optimism, imo.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, I was surprised at the talent differential on the defensive front 7's. I think when folks take a deep breath, they'll see different body types across the front 7, regardless of what the recruit rankings and size on depth charts say.

BC's linebackers easily outclass ours. They look different and play different. It was like two Knight body types that knew their assignments and played confidently/aggressively. (Knight may get there; still young).

Would you take our DL over BC's? I'm not so sure. At one point our DL was: Ryans, Brooks, Griffin, Domineck. At a glance I'd say BC and most ACC DLs beat that on recruiting ranking/offer sheet talent.

I'm not absolving the coaching by any means, but I think front talent is issue #1 to correct. We recruited some really good DEs and have some already playing. Same goes with LB from 2020 class and Knight if he can play consistent. DT is our weakness in terms of having recruited true difference-makers, and it's a big gap, but there is a rising tide across the front 7 that will help any DC look better.
Yep, this all CPJ's fault.

That was my initial reaction to your post, but I don't think that was your intent. Your statement of "knew their assignments and played confidently/aggressively" led me to believe you hit the nail on the head.

falconholic26

Banned
No good recruit is going two come here as the way we been playing. Collins has been here almost two years and we have not developed any players he has degreased more players. He said he’s a development program well he’s got an f so far on that

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, he didn't have enough "juice" for Geoff. Got to have "juice" - high on life - or you got no place on this star studded coaching staff.

Collins is a former DC, so he isn't going to hire someone who doesn't even run the same defensive scheme.

I still think Thack is a bright young coach. He has a lot to fix, but I am not giving up on him. We have been through enough DCs to know that making a change isn't a magic fix.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, this all CPJ's fault.

That was my initial reaction to your post, but I don't think that was your intent. Your statement of "knew their assignments and played confidently/aggressively" led me to believe you hit the nail on the head.
No offense, that tells me that you're looking to bring CPJ into this. I acknowledged coaching is an issue. My subsequent post referenced attrition as a reason also. So, you're wrong ;)

Even CPJ's own recruiting results were not strictly due to him, his scheme, persona or otherwise. Could another coach have recruited better with the same resources? Yes, I think many could have. And I say that as a CPJ supporter. His defenses were bad, our current upperclassmen are his players, so there is some cause and effect.

But the issues today are not solely on CPJ nor the available players. Our current coaches also need to coach better. But I think results will improve most by a better front 7; not swapping HCs, DCs, etc.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll throw out one other theory after the last two consecutive weeks which is founded on nothing other than speculation. Are our defensive signals getting stolen? Are our guys giving tells? I really hope we can self-scout and figure out a light switch there to turn this thing around, otherwise we have real issues. I don't expect our D to be game-changers given the issues up front, but the striking lack of resistance today reminded me of MTSU. While the MTSU game felt worse being there Live, I had similar feelings of helplessness today, and it turned out our signals were stolen.
Couldn’t the reason just as easily be that Power 5 level coordinators have had more time/reason to focus on Thacker’s scheme?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn’t the reason just as easily be that Power 5 level coordinators have had more time/reason to focus on Thacker’s scheme?
Hadn't thought of that but could be.

There is tape of Thacker as a DC going back to 2018. And my understanding is his D's are heavily influenced by Collins' D philosophy, which goes back further.

Part of my speculation was whether we have tells, which could be something as simple as where guys line up. That probably goes into what you're suggesting too. Will be interesting to see how the season plays out.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We can keep talking the talent excuse if we want but at some point you have to acknowledge that other teams have more talent because they're getting coached up and developed. BC didn't start out with more raw talent than what we put out there today.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
The simple fact is, we will never recruit at the level of guys like Miami, Clemson, UGA, ND, Bama, even UNC. We can’t expect to be anything more than UVA unless we do something unique.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
As others have pointed out, we have regressed tackling and our COVID protocols may be hurting us. The announcers talked about how BCs coordinator had them practicing more in pads this week after they got drubbed by VT. We might want to look into that.

For all the talk about not being lined up right, there were plenty of plays with a guy there that couldn’t make the play.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
As others have pointed out, we have regressed tackling and our COVID protocols may be hurting us. The announcers talked about how BCs coordinator had them practicing more in pads this week after they got drubbed by VT. We might want to look into that.

For all the talk about not being lined up right, there were plenty of plays with a guy there that couldn’t make the play.
Yeah, I mean this “COVID protocol” stuff is a bit of a joke. So it’s ok to tackle players on others teams once a week, but not OK to tackle guys you are around multiple hours a day the rest of the week? Ok...

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What drives me crazy is the way the defensive players are still looking to the sideline for signals when the other team is about to snap the ball. They are rarely set and ready for the snap.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Get rid of the damn 4-2-5 and go to an athletic 4-3 please. Drop both Tariq and Juanyeh down to play OLB, Tariq playing the Sam. Allen at FS and not sure about SS, Oliver ain’t getting it done either.
I agree, also, Charlie Thomas needs to be on the field.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We can keep talking the talent excuse if we want but at some point you have to acknowledge that other teams have more talent because they're getting coached up and developed. BC didn't start out with more raw talent than what we put out there today.

Let me ask you. Do you view coaching as a one year thing?

falconholic26

Banned
What drives me crazy is the way the defensive players are still looking to the sideline for signals when the other team is about to snap the ball. They are rarely set and ready for the snap.
Bc they are poorly coach and the players have no fate on them. It was evidence that they have no confidence in them and just quit, If you don’t believe just watch the replay of game and especially curry how can a 6th year senior be so bad at basic techniques and just horrible in his six year playing. He played the worst I ever seen today a College linebacker Has ever played. I like curry but it time to move on from him

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Let me ask you. Do you view coaching as a one year thing?
It's a good question. I generally think you can see it immediately but I have seen coaches take 2-3 years to really gel. I hope that's the situation we're in but it's hard to see that because we're an absolute **** show to watch with zero signs of improvement. I actually like Thacker as a DC but I have no damn clue why we look lost out there.