Defense in 2015

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
This might be the quickest defense we've had in the CPJ era. Add in Vic and Anree and its close to being the nastiest.

I'm really looking forward to that "nastiness." Those two might be a couple of the most physically ready defensive players we've brought in recently.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Having very good quality depth at wde is going to pay huge dividends for us, Getting a good rotation going with Freeman, Whitehead, and Simmons will keep Keyshon fresh, ready and able to wreak havok in the 4th quarter.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'm just excited to see the increase in defense in 2015. We return most of our opportunistic secondary and our pass rush literally couldn't be worse than it was last season.

Even with a dropoff in our Offense from last year a small increase in our defensive presence should make up the difference.

I'm thinking an improved D means 9+ wins this season.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've said it and said it....all PJ needs is a top 35 or so D....with that type of D, and some consistency game in, game out, we are definitely sniffing the playoff. Of course, a lot of things still have to go right. (turnovers, etc.)

I am not getting my hopes too high...too much can still happen with the JHD situation, and also, we are still thin enough that even one injury to one of the main DT's, and we are really having to scramble for difference makers in the middle...

With that said, I love hearing the optimism.....

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I've said it and said it....all PJ needs is a top 35 or so D....with that type of D, and some consistency game in, game out, we are definitely sniffing the playoff. Of course, a lot of things still have to go right. (turnovers, etc.)

I am not getting my hopes too high...too much can still happen with the JHD situation, and also, we are still thin enough that even one injury to one of the main DT's, and we are really having to scramble for difference makers in the middle...

With that said, I love hearing the optimism.....

For sure. But for me the difference is at least we can have this discussion. Years past we knew the d was not great.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm optimistic about the defense, but that being said, we did a pretty good job last year stopping pro-style offenses. While we are definitely increasing the athleticism, I'm not sure how much any of these new faces are going to directly affect our ability to defend read option teams (UNC, Clemson, Notre Dame). Those types of offenses torched us last year (I know Clemson didn't do much, but it sure looked like they were going to before Watson went out...). I'll be interested to see how we defend those teams this year.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
As I have said before there are some questions, but with the way our turnover ratio was last year and how much I believe we have improved on the d line I honestly think we can have a top 25 deffense this year.This is the most depth I have seen on our d in the cpj tenure, if we stay healthy and some of the depth guys continue to improve teams better watch out with as potent as our offense already is. I already feel lost now that spring is over.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Interesting Data from footballoutsiders DFEI:
In calculating this opponent-adjusted Defensive efficiency stat (keeping other teams from scoring, per drive considering starting Field Position), they calculate a Defensive Strength of Schedule ranking. Here are the defenses which faced the toughest strength of schedule by that stat:
1. Clemson
2. Miami
3. VPI
4. UVA
5. Auburn
6. Oregon
7. Miss St
8. Arizona
9. GT
10. FSU

Six of the top ten were from the ACC, four of the top 10 were from the ACC Coastal. Two from the SEC and two from Pac 12.

Six of the top 10 had to play against the best offense in the country, 7 of top 10 if you count fall practice.

Facing the 9th toughest SOS should make us feel a little bit better about our performance.

My Cautionary Note:
It seemed to me that we gave up a lot of 3rd down conversions based on breakdowns rather than getting beat.

For example, we allowed mismatches like when FSU was able to put their best receiver against Demond Smith. We didn't adjust to make sure that DJ White was always on him. Or there were times when DBs broke with the wrong player in Zone or got caught looking in the backfield instead of keeping with their receiver in Man.

We also seemed to get beat on running plays by guys not holding their gap/lane responsibilities.

I don't know but I have a hard time getting optimistic about our D because it still feels like we did not do as well as we should have based on my estimation of our talent.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Interesting Data from footballoutsiders DFEI:
In calculating this opponent-adjusted Defensive efficiency stat (keeping other teams from scoring, per drive considering starting Field Position), they calculate a Defensive Strength of Schedule ranking. Here are the defenses which faced the toughest strength of schedule by that stat:
1. Clemson
2. Miami
3. VPI
4. UVA
5. Auburn
6. Oregon
7. Miss St
8. Arizona
9. GT
10. FSU

Six of the top ten were from the ACC, four of the top 10 were from the ACC Coastal. Two from the SEC and two from Pac 12.

Six of the top 10 had to play against the best offense in the country, 7 of top 10 if you count fall practice.

Facing the 9th toughest SOS should make us feel a little bit better about our performance.

My Cautionary Note:
It seemed to me that we gave up a lot of 3rd down conversions based on breakdowns rather than getting beat.

For example, we allowed mismatches like when FSU was able to put their best receiver against Demond Smith. We didn't adjust to make sure that DJ White was always on him. Or there were times when DBs broke with the wrong player in Zone or got caught looking in the backfield instead of keeping with their receiver in Man.

We also seemed to get beat on running plays by guys not holding their gap/lane responsibilities.

I don't know but I have a hard time getting optimistic about our D because it still feels like we did not do as well as we should have based on my estimation of our talent.
The turnovers we had, made us seem a lot better on defense than we were.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The turnovers we had, made us seem a lot better on defense than we were.
Except that turnovers are often seen as a sign of a good defense. I am not arguing that we were a good defense, just arguing that the defense was probably just as good as it appeared, no more, no less.

According to the players, CTR worked them overtime last year on creating turnovers and even had specific defensive calls designed to increase the possibility of turnovers. Anyway, just feel like turnovers were a good thing not a bad thing.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I never said they were a bad thing, I just feel like opportunistic is a better word than good when describing our defensive play last year.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
@Boomergump I think we had this conversation last year. IF our guys stay healthy we are going to have a good pass rush. Best line since 2008 IMO. DTs are the heart of a pass rush, and I think we are gonna have a good one this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Except that turnovers are often seen as a sign of a good defense. I am not arguing that we were a good defense, just arguing that the defense was probably just as good as it appeared, no more, no less.

According to the players, CTR worked them overtime last year on creating turnovers and even had specific defensive calls designed to increase the possibility of turnovers. Anyway, just feel like turnovers were a good thing not a bad thing.
Some turnovers fit the description you gave, some not. Some are the result of good film study, max effort and technique, others are a result of luck. Most of the Pitt to's were the latter (not the DJ White strip at the one, that was all hustle).

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Erk Russell enjoyed a good reputation as a DC employing the same strategy as Roof.