Defense in 2015

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have just been sitting here thinking about how nice it might be to have a true difference maker at the DT position this year. When you get a guy like JHD into the mix, it just seems to make everybody else better. DTs typically don't get a lot of sacks, but just having a guy with some push and quickness will take away that QB "step up" into the pocket just enough to make the speed guys on the outside more effective. In the run game, I have little doubt JHD will make some plays on his own, but he is going to take some double teams too and make our LBs lives a lot easier. Gotsis has got to be smiling as he will face single blockers most of the time now I would imagine.

This is no small thing, if he does indeed become eligible. Every good defense is built from the DTs out. I have felt for a while now that we have good guys at the second level. A little QB pressure from the front 4 will help us keep more guys in coverage and speed up the opposing QBs a little. My imagination is running away crazy right now thinking about a GT defense that is beastly in the mid-section.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
WDE - Freeman, Whitehead, Simmons
DT - Jabari, Gamble
DT - Gotsis, Kallon
SDE - Rod Chungong, Stargel, Merriweather

Could even slide Gamble to DE...throw in Saint-Amour, Sellers in the mix as well.

A lot of potential hanging on Jabari.

Chance for a very good DL.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Gotsis has got to be smiling as he will face single blockers most of the time now I would imagine.

I think everyone agrees that JHD is an upgrade over an underrated Green, but wasn't Green getting double-teamed most of the time last year? I seem to remember him having to go up against two guys for extended periods of time in certain games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
DT - Jabari, Gamble
DT - Gotsis, Kallon

Could even slide Gamble to DE...throw in Saint-Amour, Sellers in the mix as well.

In 14 The 5star qb made TO go. in 15 a 5star DT will make the the defense stop. Thomas made the guys around him more effective and when the game was on line ( msu in 4thq) he put team on back. This could be very special.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
DT - Jabari, Gamble
DT - Gotsis, Kallon

You think we could see Gotsis, hunt-days, freeman, and whitehead on the field at the same time this year?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I have just been sitting here thinking about how nice it might be to have a true difference maker at the DT position this year. When you get a guy like JHD into the mix, it just seems to make everybody else better. DTs typically don't get a lot of sacks, but just having a guy with some push and quickness will take away that QB "step up" into the pocket just enough to make the speed guys on the outside more effective. In the run game, I have little doubt JHD will make some plays on his own, but he is going to take some double teams too and make our LBs lives a lot easier. Gotsis has got to be smiling as he will face single blockers most of the time now I would imagine.

This is no small thing, if he does indeed become eligible. Every good defense is built from the DTs out. I have felt for a while now that we have good guys at the second level. A little QB pressure from the front 4 will help us keep more guys in coverage and speed up the opposing QBs a little. My imagination is running away crazy right now thinking about a GT defense that is beastly in the mid-section.
Tremendous post full of rightful optimism!!!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
DT - Jabari, Gamble
DT - Gotsis, Kallon

Right up to snuff Eric!! This is what I have been talking about on this board is all this good quality depth! And it's all over the field! Just wait until 2016 it will be unbelievable!! Just what CPJ and JeT ordered!!!!!!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Its not off the wall at all to say this should be our best D since Vance Walker and Darryl Richard were plugging the middle. I think JHD and Gotsis are upgrades on that pretty dang good interior. If someone steps up and takes ownership of the SDE spot.....Katie bar the door.

Any chance a LB could slide to SDE possibly? Marcordes?

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow

yea the Falcons tried the whole build the deffense from the dts out thing, it didn't work to well LOL​

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I think everyone agrees that JHD is an upgrade over an underrated Green, but wasn't Green getting double-teamed most of the time last year? I seem to remember him having to go up against two guys for extended periods of time in certain games.
To my recollection, Gotis was getting doubled up far more.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
No proven edge rusher is still concerning, as is depth...though better than last year.

If we could get a 4 man rotation at DT without much drop off and get another edge rusher who can ball we'll be cookin' with grease. Particularly if Rook-Chungong, Stargel, Merriweather, or St. Amour can solidify.

Eager to see how Simmons & Whitehead can work each day to get better.

IMO Roof will have us continuing to improve this year. He is a much more clever big-picture tacticIan than folks realize. Great teacher too. Terrific complement to what we do on O.

Really like the looks of Cage-Henderson.Great DT body. If he works he'll be a good one.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
No proven edge rusher is still concerning, as is depth...though better than last year.

If we could get a 4 man rotation at DT without much drop off and get another edge rusher who can ball we'll be cookin' with grease. Particularly if Rook-Chungong, Stargel, Merriweather, or St. Amour can solidify.

IMO Roof will have us continuing to improve this year. He is a much more clever big-picture tacticIan than folks realize. Great teacher too. Terrific complement to what we do on O.

Really like the looks of Cage-Henderson.Great DT body. If he works he'll be a good one.

At the end of the season, Freeman was coming on gangbusters on the edge; not only getting sacks/hurries but tackles behind the Line of Scrimmage (just ask UGA). Having two strong, active, interior linemen should mean the BOTH defensive ends will have more oppotunities to get to the QB and be dirsruptive in the backfield because the interior is being handled so well.

If the D-Line is able to stop the run by itself, and/or put pressure on the QB itself, then this frees up the LB's and DB's to play more aggressively in the back through blitzing and special coverages.

I predict that if the defense can stay healthy, and Jabari is eligible, the defense will end up being better than expected.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck

Agree about looking forward to see ing Simmons and whitehead and what they will become on the edge. I am looking through my golden glasses and remind myself we didn't have a proven QB last year and I think things worked out ok. So if these two and JHDs turns into the real deal--------------. Better take these glasses off or I will not get any work done today!

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
2015 Defense with thoughts from the Spring Game...

JHD - I'm keeping a tight lip and fingers crossed until I hear/know he is academically on the right track and stays there. That being said, if JHD is eligible then only one word describes my excitement about him.... BEAST.

Jalen Johnson - Very active, very impressive. Great closing speed. Love that he attacks.

Antonio Simmons - The underdog of the DL. Kid has major upside. Always around the ball.

Very exciting to think that 2 of these 3 are newcomers to the fold and we still have big names from last year returning (DJ White, Chris Milton, Jamal Golden, PJ Davis, Tyler Marcordes, Adam Gotsis, KeShun Freeman, etc..)

I'm optimistic about our Defense in 2015. I think the key difference this year is DEPTH. We finally have DEPTH and good depth at that.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
if kallon comes on i expect gamble to slide out.....

but even then gamble will be a back and forth guy some....

Rod-Rook needs to step up intensity in the weight room and with his body as he matures....

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
As @GTBandit22 said...on obvious passing downs I wouldn't be surprised to see that combo a lot.
Last year was only Freeman and he got little relief. This year on passing downs we will likely have 2 of the three (Freeman, Whitehead, and Simmons) and Freeman should be more rested...a real upgrade in the pass rush I predict.