Film Study Def. Film review vs. UVA

LibertyTurns

Banned
The S&P numbers feels fishy as I cannot say the drop off from 2017 to 2018 is that significant. 2015 and 2016 S&P being the same is weird.

Defensive scoring
2018 30.2
2017 28.2
2016 25.7
2015 27.5
2014 26.2
2013 26.4
2012 30.2 (to bad as GT would have went far with a decent defense)
2011 26.5
2010 26.5
2009 25.4
2008 22.1

2018 is definitely the worst year

Here is the defensive - "offensive" scores only.

2018 27.3
2017 26.2
2016 24.3
2015 26.4
2014 25.8
2013 25.0
2012 29.5
2011 25.6
2010 24.7
2009 and 2008 number get weird on team stats

The defense took a step backwards and forwards at the same time. The defense has got a turnover or a stop when GT needed it the most.
FO strips off garbage time scoring, so if Alcorn St rips off a couple TDs against 3rd or 4th stringers late in the game or after it’s “out of control” so to speak your rating doesn’t change.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We also have more depth at DL than we have had in a while. We also have a bunch of talented, if young, DBs. If you are going to criticize Roof, you also have to give him credit for recruiting those positions.

Most were andy mac even some O coaches helped. Roof stunk. Time to move on. I dont cling to the past like some. He is probably a nice human and a good SA for us but that doesnt buy him a pass for awful DC. Many of our good recruits on this staff were not roof. Most actually. Same for tenuta. It was giff and bj. Dc dont do the job the asst do. So its all overblown

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FO strips off garbage time scoring, so if Alcorn St rips off a couple TDs against 3rd or 4th stringers late in the game or after it’s “out of control” so to speak your rating doesn’t change.

Your point stands but for clarity and for others they also don't count games against FCS opponents.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We also have more depth at DL than we have had in a while. We also have a bunch of talented, if young, DBs. If you are going to criticize Roof, you also have to give him credit for recruiting those positions.

So he recruited good players for a horrible scheme system? Does that really deserve praise?

slugboy

Staff member
The S&P numbers feels fishy as I cannot say the drop off from 2017 to 2018 is that significant. 2015 and 2016 S&P being the same is weird.

Defensive scoring
2018 30.2
2017 28.2
2016 25.7
2015 27.5
2014 26.2
2013 26.4
2012 30.2 (to bad as GT would have went far with a decent defense)
2011 26.5
2010 26.5
2009 25.4
2008 22.1

2018 is definitely the worst year

Here is the defensive - "offensive" scores only.

2018 27.3
2017 26.2
2016 24.3
2015 26.4
2014 25.8
2013 25.0
2012 29.5
2011 25.6
2010 24.7
2009 and 2008 number get weird on team stats

The defense took a step backwards and forwards at the same time. The defense has got a turnover or a stop when GT needed it the most.

I’m not sure what’s happening with those numbers either. Groh’s last year was pretty bad, and I can’t believe that Kelly turned the D around that much in half a year. For 2018, Maybe we just gave up too many points to the UNC’s and USF’s this year?

Back to this year’s defense. Their receivers were a lot more open than ours. Is the coverage set that way, or are we messing up on the outside?

I’m thinking, if it’s zone, that we’re just not watching the receivers tightly enough. I don’t see why someone is a couple of yards open that close in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Not really, those guys haven’t done anything until this new scheme. I’d also like to know which where his recruits.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Proof is in the pudding. Right now the pudding taste nearly the same, but I at least understand the defense...

FEI defensive rank:

2018 93 CNW
2017 69 Roof
2016 94 Roof
2015 87 Roof
2014 76 Roof
2013 51 Roof
2012 64 Groh
2011 61 Groh
2010 80 Groh
2009 51
2008 30
I love FEI, I will say we have majorly improved total D though. We are ranked 42nd right now. I’d also like to see how the numbers have changed since Clemson. The D is playing way better since the first of the season. I’d dare to say they are way higher if you just take the last 7 games. Unfortunately we can’t do that, I’ve been impressed with how well they have done since it’s been a COMPLETELY different scheme though.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Out D has made a lot of impressive stops on 1st and second down....only to give up a ton of 3rd down conversions afterwards. Seems we have given up a ton of 3rd and longs this year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
2007 70 (one more FEI year)

FEI seems to only go back to 2007. S&P+ goes back to at least 2005, and that looks like

2005. 23. Tenuta
2006. 19 Tenuta
2007. 63. Tenuta
2008. 67. Wommack
2009. 48. Wommack
2010. 73. Groh
2011. 76. Groh
2012. 37. Groh / Kelly
2013. 68. Roof
2014. 66
2015. 55
2016. 57
2017. 66. Roof
2018. 100 CNW

Either way, tailing off after 2006-7, mostly. Some good years by S&P+ standards, but none great.

Wommack looks better this way, but I don’t remember him being good. Maybe it’s because he dropped off so much from Tenuta.

Kelly looks better in retrospect too.

CNW had 1-2 rough years at App State before turning it around. This season, we haven’t held a major opponent under 20 points. We do need to see some improvement in the offseason, including fundamentals.

One place we lucked out is that Louisville didn’t have a Lamar Jackson this year. Another is that VT and Miami are down. Duke is better and so is Pitt. Even with the stats, my feel is that we’re about the same as last year, and we need to play better at MLB and on the corners, but we’ve improved on the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
To your comment about not holding anyone to under 20, we should have but special teams and offense fumbling the ball kinda hurt the chance of that. Against Duke we gave them the ball where they only had to go 6, and 34 yards. Also where they only had to go 56 yards. We also have Pitt the ball with only 34 yards to go.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Imo, there's a big difference this year in being more consistent. Last year, we had some great games on D and some horrible games, and we had games horrible break-downs like in final drives. This year, we haven't had any great games, but we haven't had any horrible games either.
This is how I see it, we have just been more consistent.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
This is how I see it, we have just been more consistent.
The defense's problem has been in-game consistency, not game-to-game. It's been one bad half (usually the 1st half), and one good half a lot. The defense isn't the difference maker this year between 5 and 7 wins though. The offense is. This is the best avg rush yds per game we've had since 2014. As a unit, this is probably the best o-line CPJ's had. We thought the 2014 unit was great until 2015, and then it turned out it was mostly Shaq.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
The defense's problem has been in-game consistency, not game-to-game. It's been one bad half (usually the 1st half), and one good half a lot. The defense isn't the difference maker this year between 5 and 7 wins though. The offense is. This is the best avg rush yds per game we've had since 2014. As a unit, this is probably the best o-line CPJ's had. We thought the 2014 unit was great until 2015, and then it turned out it was mostly Shaq.

I wonder how much better the Offense is because of some of the extra turnovers we have got this year that we did not get in other years.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how much better the Offense is because of some of the extra turnovers we have got this year that we did not get in other years.
I don't think turnovers are having a significant effect on us averaging our statistically highest yards per game rushing (which we'll probably drop below 2014 after the UGAg game). We've had a couple of fluke turnovers go our way on ST the last 2 weeks. However, it could be that going away from the bend-but-don't-break defensive style may be, if it is giving us more possessions on offense.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
To your comment about not holding anyone to under 20, we should have but special teams and offense fumbling the ball kinda hurt the chance of that. Against Duke we gave them the ball where they only had to go 6, and 34 yards. Also where they only had to go 56 yards. We also have Pitt the ball with only 34 yards to go.

Yes, but I’ve seen good defenses bow up and hold when they’re put in short field situations. It’s extenuating, but the thing to do is give up a field goal instead of a TD. We give up TDs.
And bad things happen to other teams too. It’s a fair comparison.
Also, a good defense is going to have good games against good competition where they hold the opponent to a low score. We’ve had 11 games (9 when you factor out Alcorn and Bowling Green, which you ought to). I’m fine taking out Clemson as an outlier, too. So, 8 chances to hold a team under 20, and no successes by that standard.
We’re giving up 30.2 points per game, on fewer possessions than most teams. It’s 25.3 over the last 3 games. We’re #79 there. In points per play, we’re #102 at 0.464 points per play. There’s only 130 teams tracked at our level.
Miami was possibly our best defensive game so far. UVA had some good aspects, but the perimeter tackling was awful. At nearly the last game of the season, you ought to be tackling well.
It’s possible we have improved, but if 8 defenders are doing great and 3 aren’t, bad things happen, and that’s where I think we are right now.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but I’ve seen good defenses bow up and hold when they’re put in short field situations. It’s extenuating, but the thing to do is give up a field goal instead of a TD. We give up TDs.
And bad things happen to other teams too. It’s a fair comparison.
Also, a good defense is going to have good games against good competition where they hold the opponent to a low score. We’ve had 11 games (9 when you factor out Alcorn and Bowling Green, which you ought to). I’m fine taking out Clemson as an outlier, too. So, 8 chances to hold a team under 20, and no successes by that standard.
We’re giving up 30.2 points per game, on fewer possessions than most teams. It’s 25.3 over the last 3 games. We’re #79 there. In points per play, we’re #102 at 0.464 points per play. There’s only 130 teams tracked at our level.
Miami was possibly our best defensive game so far. UVA had some good aspects, but the perimeter tackling was awful. At nearly the last game of the season, you ought to be tackling well.
It’s possible we have improved, but if 8 defenders are doing great and 3 aren’t, bad things happen, and that’s where I think we are right now.

I agree, I was just making a point. Overall I’m pleased with the defense because of changing schemes.There really is a MAJOR difference in what we do now from last year and it hurts even more that the full playbook is not open from what I’ve gathered.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
This is by far the worst defense I've ever seen. Ever since they got rid of the previous guy I haven't seen any improvement. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's a disimprovement. The D-Line play is pretty passive and the LB play is horrendous. The ILB's are starting a foot apart from each other and can't run with anyone. Their eyes are always in the wrong place and they're getting creamed on RPO's and play-action. The safeties don't rotate over, or rather, they're rotating so late they're giving up 18 yard passes on 3rd and 12. This is by far the most frustrated I've ever been.

Good grief, it's third and 26 and the D just gave up a 53-yard play!

It's pretty tough being a Sooner fan ..

(I never thought I'd live to see the day where I'd say, "I wish OU had GT's defense - we'd win the natty hands-down!")

It's never as good or as bad as it seems. Here's to hoping our D can play their best game of the year in the Cesspool tomorrow!

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is by far the worst defense I've ever seen. Ever since they got rid of the previous guy I haven't seen any improvement. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's a disimprovement. The D-Line play is pretty passive and the LB play is horrendous. The ILB's are starting a foot apart from each other and can't run with anyone. Their eyes are always in the wrong place and they're getting creamed on RPO's and play-action. The safeties don't rotate over, or rather, they're rotating so late they're giving up 18 yard passes on 3rd and 12. This is by far the most frustrated I've ever been.

Good grief, it's third and 26 and the D just gave up a 53-yard play!

It's pretty tough being a Sooner fan ..

(I never thought I'd live to see the day where I'd say, "I wish OU had GT's defense - we'd win the natty hands-down!")

It's never as good or as bad as it seems. Here's to hoping our D can play their best game of the year in the Cesspool tomorrow!
That was great steebu! You had me the whole way. And this Ok vs WVU game is a defensive joke

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Inside linebacker speed(though a lot is pursuit angle, imo) and a some boneheaded plays in the secondary have cost us a lot of points. Hopefully we get that fixed today.