Film Study Def. Film review vs. UVA

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Mediocre performance for the defense. I thought the game of letting Perkins get in a rhythm wasn't the best either. Poor tackling and poor eye discipline. I thought the ILB position was nonexistent other than the safety by Brant. If tackling doesn't improve, UGA game won't be close. DL played well particularly Adams. We need more people to step up with the extra attention ASA is getting. DBs were ok, but needs to finish tackles and take better angles.

I do like the new nastiness and bounce we are playing with . Sorry, but class and high character on the field doesn't win. We are not dirty but can definitely see a new confidence/attitude in our guys this year which is absolute necessary to be a good defense. Enjoy!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Mediocre performance for the defense. I thought the game of letting Perkins get in a rhythm wasn't the best either. Poor tackling and poor eye discipline. I thought the ILB position was nonexistent other than the safety by Brant. If tackling doesn't improve, UGA game won't be close. DL played well particularly Adams. We need more people to step up with the extra attention ASA is getting. DBs were ok, but needs to finish tackles and take better angles.

I do like the new nastiness and bounce we are playing with . Sorry, but class and high character on the field doesn't win. We are not dirty but can definitely see a new confidence/attitude in our guys this year which is absolute necessary to be a good defense. Enjoy!

IB,
You nailed it.EXACTLY what I thought on LB play.Mitchell's play was great but after that ............I was a big Curry fan when he signed but he is playing like he is hurt.Making NO plays basically.Jalen played great last week but getting outrun by a QB who weighs as much as you....hmmm. also-Why do 5 yd catches turn into 50 yd TDs with us?
btw--did you see uva #37 catch Qua at the corner preventing a TD.THAT is LB speed. Also he is a JR...hmmm

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
IB,
You nailed it.EXACTLY what I thought on LB play.Mitchell's play was great but after that ............I was a big Curry fan when he signed but he is playing like he is hurt.Making NO plays basically.Jalen played great last week but getting outrun by a QB who weighs as much as you....hmmm. also-Why do 5 yd catches turn into 50 yd TDs with us?
btw--did you see uva #37 catch Qua at the corner preventing a TD.THAT is LB speed. Also he is a JR...hmmm

Good ol Jordan Mack. The 4* CTR supposedly turned down bc he was too stick. He has turned into a torn in our sides the past couple of years

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

As usual, Ballin nails it. Poor tackling, next to non existent inside linebacker play, poor angles, etc. For the love of God, why do our linebackers blitz right into offensive linemen? Mitchell is especially prone to do so. I seriously doubt we can go to the well three times in a row. I just pray that we can control the ball enough against UGA so that it does not become an embarrassment. I have zero confidence in our corners being able to stay with UGA's receivers and little confidence in our being able to pressure the quarterback. That said, we have played better on defense this year thanks to Coach Woody and his staff. Most importantly, there have been incremental improvements over what we saw earlier in the year.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Our young DBs give me hope for the future, safeties in particular.

As to the ILB, well, I’ve made my point in the chat during the game. I’ve never seen a 4 year starter consistently overrun tackles and/or sacks. I hope Quez fulfills his potential and Swilling can put it together.

I think our OLBs will be very good the next couple years with Charlie Thomas and hopefully one of the safeties moves up. Kaleb Oliver maybe? Otherwise Campbell can hold down the other spot.

We have some tweener roles in this defense and seem stocked with that type of player.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Good ol Jordan Mack. The 4* CTR supposedly turned down bc he was too stick. He has turned into a torn in our sides the past couple of years
You can't be serious? I guess you are. Since when, have we had the luxury of turning any four star player down? If true, then Coach Roof is indeed the gift that keeps on giving as that guy Jordan Mack is a royal pain in the butt. A quick, smart linebacker who takes excellent angles and generally arrives in a bad mood. Just the kind of player we need.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
You can't be serious? I guess you are. Since when, have we had the luxury of turning any four star player down? If true, then Coach Roof is indeed the gift that keeps on giving as that guy Jordan Mack is a royal pain in the butt. A quick, smart linebacker who takes excellent angles and generally arrives in a bad mood. Just the kind of player we need.

At the risk of being a Debbie downer, I’m not sure if we’ve demonstrated we can develop LBs the way some of our competitors have done so. That’s not to say we haven’t had some instinctual LBs that were impactful, I just haven’t seen our guys grow and improve year to year. Hell, I’d argue 51s best year was as a true freshman.

Back to Mack though, I googled his recruiting story during the game since the name was so familiar. What a fun player to watch...tough miss.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
At the risk of being a Debbie downer, I’m not sure if we’ve demonstrated we can develop LBs the way some of our competitors have done so. That’s not to say we haven’t had some instinctual LBs that were impactful, I just haven’t seen our guys grow and improve year to year. Hell, I’d argue 51s best year was as a true freshman.

Back to Mack though, I googled his recruiting story during the game since the name was so familiar. What a fun player to watch...tough miss.

Mind you Mack was a Safety who grew into WLB

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Mind you Mack was a Safety who grew into WLB

If Showell and Bonds are good enough to see the field at safety, we should consider moving a few current safeties inside. I’d take a Carpenter, J.Thomas, or Oliver at LB. all three have the frame to put on some more weight, the speed, but most importantly they all like to hit people and play with some nastiness. Last three of those four have been sorely missed.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If Showell and Bonds are good enough to see the field at safety, we should consider moving a few current safeties inside. I’d take a Carpenter, J.Thomas, or Oliver at LB. all three have the frame to put on some more weight, the speed, but most importantly they all like to hit people and play with some nastiness. Last three of those four have been sorely missed.

I believe Oliver will be the Stinger next year

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Oliver is the only one I'd like to see moved up to LB eventually. Carpenter is a bit on the smaller side, and he seems better against the pass. J. Thomas should definitely stay at DB. He's very long and fast, and I think him putting on weight to play LB would take away from his speed.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think Oliver is the only one I'd like to see moved up to LB eventually. Carpenter is a bit on the smaller side, and he seems better against the pass. J. Thomas should definitely stay at DB. He's very long and fast, and I think him putting on weight to play LB would take away from his speed.

Yeah but we have tons of highly rated safety types, Bonds, Showell etc. We sorely need that speed and explosive athleticism at LB that JT brings to the table for Woody’s Def to get to the next level, and he looks thick, like he has the frame to grow, hopefully he Will gain good muscle weight and stay fast.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MLBs made a combined 5 tackles against UVA. That doesn't cut it. Individually, each have had very low productivity in other games as well. It is imperative we find guys who fit the system for those roles.

It will be interesting to see where JT fits on defense next year. I really don't care where he goes. At this point I am convinced he could help us at about any position besides the NG. I say that partly in jest, but not really. He and Tariq would make a really robust pair of safeties.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It will be interesting to see where JT fits on defense next year. I really don't care where he goes. At this point I am convinced he could help us at about any position besides the NG. I say that partly in jest, but not really. He and Tariq would make a really robust pair of safeties.

We have had several good safeties over the years but this kid has a Ken Swilling look about him in terms of size and speed. He looks like the kind of athlete that we have seen at Miami or Uga over the years. Super excited to have him on the team for the next few years.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
They like JT at free safety.
Campbell will probably be starting stinger next season.
Got a lot of youth out there.
They moved Dingle to DE but idk I liked him for ILB. He was a tackling machine in high school. Bruce Swilling per Quinlan had the worst grade of defenders, I wished they would have shirt him for the season.