Film Room Def. Breakdown vs. BG

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Is it hero ball or a lack of confidence in what they are trying to do? I think peeking in the backfield they way some have could be either or. What bugs me a bit more are fundamental things like letting receivers cross their face on routes they should have inside leverage on; or failing to set the edge...time and time again.

Letting receivers cross your body drives me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I also never ascribed to the Tenuta boom or bust mantra. Tenuta’s Ds very rarely busted. Even against good offenses.

Tenuta rarely played spread offenses. His defenses were very run blitz heavy and designed to go against power running offenses. its boom or bust on every play if you get caught in your blitz or slant. Tenuta was very good at getting the OC of the times heads and basically calling plays to the most logical one. Tenuta did the same thing at UVA and he got lit up by spread offenses designed to catch people at the line and find the blitz.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Is it hero ball or a lack of confidence in what they are trying to do? I think peeking in the backfield they way some have could be either or. What bugs me a bit more are fundamental things like letting receivers cross their face on routes they should have inside leverage on; or failing to set the edge...time and time again.

Guys are out of their fits alot trying to over compensate. I have seen our most sr people out of position guessing, in someone else’s responsibility, thats trust to me. Its a lack of. Its what becomes hero ball....i have to do it and rescue us. Intentional? No idea. But u can see it imo on tape.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Guys are out of their fits alot trying to over compensate. I have seen our most sr people out of position guessing, in someone else’s responsibility, thats trust to me. Its a lack of. Its what becomes hero ball....i have to do it and rescue us. Intentional? No idea. But u can see it imo on tape.
Do you think it’s being addressed in film review? Seems like an easy fix to me. It’s kind of ironic, don’t cha think. Opposing DC’s constantly preach discipline against our O and our D, who played against it all spring and fall camp have even less of it.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I have really enjoyed ibeeballin's comments on hip position.

Once a defensive players turns his hips, he is committed. Especially as a defensive back. Once you give up your hip position, especially man on man, it is time to out athlete your opponent. Especially when you turn your back to the ball.

As far as peeking into the backfield, and this may have changed since my time, but an initial key is the QB. Which way he fronts out, etc. Keeping your eye in the backfield and not looking for receivers entering your zone is a definite no-no. But, these are thing coaching can correct.

One question I would ask as far a Tech coaching for DBs. Are they coached to look for the ball or to disrupt the ball when it get to the receiver?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have really enjoyed ibeeballin's comments on hip position.

Once a defensive players turns his hips, he is committed. Especially as a defensive back. Once you give up your hip position, especially man on man, it is time to out athlete your opponent. Especially when you turn your back to the ball.

As far as peeking into the backfield, and this may have changed since my time, but an initial key is the QB. Which way he fronts out, etc. Keeping your eye in the backfield and not looking for receivers entering your zone is a definite no-no. But, these are thing coaching can correct.

One question I would ask as far a Tech coaching for DBs. Are they coached to look for the ball or to disrupt the ball when it get to the receiver?
One thing that bugs me is we very rarely turn our head to the ball when the receiver’s body language screams “BALL”.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
So the big debate with Roof was is it talent or system? The guys screaming system are now saying we need better athletes. Nice.

Surely you can admit this defense is more aggressive ?

Roof played a bend but don’t break defense the DL and LBs are much more agressive now, my question wasn’t a question about talent my question involves recognition of developing plays.

If out LBs delayed briefly in order for the play to develop they have the physical talent to respond to what they see

Scubapro

Banned
Why do we continue to play 7-10 yards off receivers? To me this is something similar to Roofs style. Is it uncommon to not play press coverage in a 3-4?

I can see UNC and Duke just dinking and dunking us down the field the whole game.

This drives me nuts as well...I think CNW figured BG would make more mistakes than big plays...this type of game planning allows the other team to control the tempo and hold momentum. Cutcliff will eat us alive if we continue to play 10 yards off...I am hoping we mix up coverage as the year progresses but I am not holding my breath.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
SN: Am I crazy thinking that we are getting hosed by the refs with Illegal man down field by the past 3 opponents

You are not crazy Ibeeballin, but I'm seeing it around College Football and I've seen it a couple times in the NFL too: the Run-Pass-Option is getting linemen as much as five yards downfield when the ball is caught. Someone is uncovered and zone blocks to the left, getting them up into the second level, while the quarterback throws the ball to the right. In the old days you had to do legal pass-blocking on your play-action passes and if the quarterback held the ball too long on a screen then the linemen were guilty even though they executed it right...

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a little curious what happened with Christian Campbell. I haven't seen him on the field much, and he was supposedly a star of spring and fall practice.

Thanks for the breakdown. Interesting to see the mechanics on why things work and why they don't. I can also see why you almost have to muscle memory a lot of these techniques, because it looks like it's pretty easy to get out of position.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm a little curious what happened with Christian Campbell. I haven't seen him on the field much, and he was supposedly a star of spring and fall practice.

Maybe we moved him back to quarterback? o_O

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Thanks for the breakdown. Interesting to see the mechanics on why things work and why they don't. I can also see why you almost have to muscle memory a lot of these techniques, because it looks like it's pretty easy to get out of position.
http://data.ramblinwreck.com/stats/football/2018/plyr_10.htm

#10 Christian Campbell

Tackles Sacks Fumble Int pass blkd PAT PAT off
Date
Opponent solo ast total tfl yds no. yds ff fr yds no. yds qbh brup kick kicks rush rcv saf t/o pts
Sep 01, 2018 ALCORN ST. 1 0 1 1.0 3 1.0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-0 0 0 0 - 0
Sep 08, 2018 at USF 2 1 3 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-0 0 0 0 - 0
Sep 15, 2018 at Pitt 2 1 3 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-0 0 0 0 - 0
Sep 22, 2018 CLEMSON 0 1 1 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-0 0 0 0 - 0
Sep 29, 2018 BOWLING GREEN 0 1 1 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0-0 0 0 0 - 0
Totals 5 4 9 1.0 3 1.0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0-0 0 0 0 - 0

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
http://data.ramblinwreck.com/stats/football/2018/plyr_10.htm

#10 Christian Campbell

Tackles Sacks Fumble Int pass blkd PAT PAT off
Date
Opponent solo ast total tfl yds no. yds ff fr yds no. yds qbh brup kick kicks rush rcv saf t/o pts
Sep 01, 2018 ALCORN ST. 1 0 1 1.0 3 1.0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-0 0 0 0 - 0
Sep 08, 2018 at USF 2 1 3 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-0 0 0 0 - 0
Sep 15, 2018 at Pitt 2 1 3 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-0 0 0 0 - 0
Sep 22, 2018 CLEMSON 0 1 1 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-0 0 0 0 - 0
Sep 29, 2018 BOWLING GREEN 0 1 1 0.0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0-0 0 0 0 - 0
Totals 5 4 9 1.0 3 1.0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0-0 0 0 0 - 0

Yeah, he had a few good snaps vs Alcorn, and basically hasn't been seen since.

I think he got moved up to Stinger because of Malik (who has done well), but has been behind Jalen and I think Jordan Domenick?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I think he got moved up to Stinger because of Malik (who has done well), but has been behind Jalen and I think Jordan Domenick?

IMO there have been 3 Stingers, Jalen, Christian, and Charlie (Thomas). Too much talent and not enough playing time so Charlie has just beem moved to the Jack LB. This may mean more playing time for Campbell and either more PT for Charlie or Charlie is being groomed for the future and may/may not RS. What is your guess?

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO there have been 3 Stingers, Jalen, Christian, and Charlie (Thomas). Too much talent and not enough playing time so Charlie has just beem moved to the Jack LB. This may mean more playing time for Campbell and either more PT for Charlie or Charlie is being groomed for the future and may/may not RS. What is your guess?

I've heard we may be looking to RS Jordan now (he hasn't played in the last 2 games after playing in the first 3) and that may have been the move to put Charlie at Jack. We also haven't been getting a lot of production out of the Jack position, which is supposed to be a stat monster.

In all honesty, I see Juanyeh growing into the Stinger position (or just getting moved there) and having a Thomas group at OLB. I think we're set at S for awhile with Carpenter and Oliver. I'm also a little surprised that BJS isn't being used at OLB, but it sounds like he's been having some issues with the reads, which I imagine might be more complicated at OLB?

It's just been weird to me. To see Campbell come out, get a sack in a few plays vs Alcorn and then not seeing him since. When I saw him come onto the field, I could almost tell that he was going to make a play.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

I think Jordan has played Jack. Not sure though.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Tenuta rarely played spread offenses. His defenses were very run blitz heavy and designed to go against power running offenses. its boom or bust on every play if you get caught in your blitz or slant. Tenuta was very good at getting the OC of the times heads and basically calling plays to the most logical one. Tenuta did the same thing at UVA and he got lit up by spread offenses designed to catch people at the line and find the blitz.

I didn’t follow him much after his time here. While here his Ds were solid and hit above their weight.