Film Room Def. Breakdown vs. BG

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Blown assignments with a brand new D and brand new back 4 not a shock to me. Its gonna happen. The front 3 or 5 is starting to play better.

I want to see progress in tfl. Pressure. Sacks. Turnovers and gradual improvement over the next 7 games.

If cpj is around for woodys year 2. I expect year 2 to be alot more solid and athletic

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So the big debate with Roof was is it talent or system? The guys screaming system are now saying we need better athletes. Nice.
I think you have it wrong, the D has already been better than last year. I think most knew that talent was an issue, but thought that the scheme made the talent look even worse. You can play to a players stregth a and I think the old scheme did not do that for many guys. I think that’s what a lot had an issue with, it’s what my issue was at least.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
So the big debate with Roof was is it talent or system? The guys screaming system are now saying we need better athletes. Nice.

Not so much talent as player development. Brant Mitchell played as a true freshman. No matter how you slice it playing at any D1 school as a true freshman you are talented. Problem is he never got any better. I see players improving under Woody already.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think you have it wrong, the D has already been better than last year. I think most knew that talent was an issue, but thought that the scheme made the talent look even worse. You can play to a players stregth a and I think the old scheme did not do that for many guys. I think that’s what a lot had an issue with, it’s what my issue was at least.
Scoring defense is worse.
Rushing defense is worse.
Passing defense is worse.
Total defense is worse.
Sorry, got tired of comparing stats to continue categories.
http://www.cfbstats.com/

Last edited:

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Total defense is worse.

Has roof ever had a top 25 defense? With Woody there is hope. I had no hope with Roof

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Has roof ever had a top 25 defense? With Woody there is hope. I had no hope with Roof

I think this is it. Still, I am really disappointed in our yards/play allowed. Even the first year in his system, I was hoping for better. Hopefully, we see steady improvement from here on and get to see both CNW and CPJ at Tech next year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Total defense is worse.
http://www.cfbstats.com/
My apologies, I should have said been better at areas of struggle from last year. I think struggles are natural for a new system though, and those thing should get better with time. The rest of my comment stands though.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I like this scheme better than prior. I think CNW is an upgrade. I’m still not in the camp that thinks Roof was complete garbage.

How many top 40 Ds do not have a player capable of putting a legit pass rush on the opposing QB? When have we last had that? Sneazy. More recently we have had some good hard nosed DBs stretching 5’8” with no pass rush to help them.

Bottom line, there was never an easy quick fix. It has always been a combination of coaching and talent. It’s gonna be a process and that process has to involve landing some guys that can make the All ACC team.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
This defense is about creating turnovera and negative plays. It is a return to the tebuta boom or bust mentality.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Not me. we have two starters that should be benched for younger players that are a tad more athletic. But if u keep our starters the same the d should still improve. We are already seeing better tfl and turnover production.

Dont create a narrative. I have yet to see us physically whipped. Even vs clemson it wasnt that bad. And i stated that multiple times on this board. Most our crap is crap. Its partially new system. And its alot of bad player accountability. We are not trusting each other. There is too much hero ball

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think this is it. Still, I am really disappointed in our yards/play allowed. Even the first year in his system, I was hoping for better. Hopefully, we see steady improvement from here on and get to see both CNW and CPJ at Tech next year.

Simply many new players on top of new scheme. If we had all 11 starters return we could compare a bit more and we would be way better. A ton of our busts are at stinger and secondary.

Even paul has said there are things woody wishes he could run and cant due to newness of the install. Thats a big deal. Playing with a 25 percent playbook

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Not me. we have two starters that should be benched for younger players that are a tad more athletic. But if u keep our starters the same the d should still improve. We are already seeing better tfl and turnover production.

Dont create a narrative. I have yet to see us physically whipped. Even vs clemson it wasnt that bad. And i stated that multiple times on this board. Most our crap is crap. Its partially new system. And its alot of bad player accountability. We are not trusting each other. There is too much hero ball

People thought i was crazy when i said we haven’t been manhandled all season.

The sad part about the hero ball is I’m not sure if it’s intentional

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
People thought i was crazy when i said we haven’t been manhandled all season.

The sad part about the hero ball is I’m not sure if it’s intentional

Is it hero ball or a lack of confidence in what they are trying to do? I think peeking in the backfield they way some have could be either or. What bugs me a bit more are fundamental things like letting receivers cross their face on routes they should have inside leverage on; or failing to set the edge...time and time again.