Deep From The “What If?” Drawer

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I hope we can redshirt Yates. He may prove to be able to do the things in the run game that TO can do and also bring the passing ability that LJ seems to have. If so, play him from day one.
I’d be pleasantly surprised with a surprise freshman real deal QB for once

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I'd be pleasantly surprised if we keep it under a 24 point deficit.

I actually think what could make it interesting would be special teams. If WW nails a couple long FGs, JT breaks loose on a KR return, and PHIII can consistently boom punts that don't allow Clemson's athletes to get big returns, we could make it interesting.

Now, if Lawrence comes out and tries to do too much (like Tua did at times this year, always going for the home run), and we make those big ST plays and don't turn it over ourselves, it would get really fun.
It’s hard to beat disciplined football. Unless you have talent and discipline lol *cough Clemson cough*

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I like your idea. Let all 3 of them play and see who performs the best against the best team in the nation and see who comes out on top. I’m sorry but I just don’t think we have any chance in this game so at least use this as a barometer for talent performance. But I’d like to see us keep it close.
Why not rotate qbs per quarter? Unless one is just shining and the game is close I’m okay with it. We gotta test the waters somehow. Why not do it against Clemson? What do we have to lose?

Oh yeah the game ....

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I actually think what could make it interesting would be special teams. If WW nails a couple long FGs, JT breaks loose on a KR return, and PHIII can consistently boom punts that don't allow Clemson's athletes to get big returns, we could make it interesting.

Yes! Special teams last year was... I’m sure everyone remembers the two KO returns for TDs by USF against us last year. I also remember lackluster production on punt and kickoff returns last year. Hopefully ST has improved and will be an asset instead of a liability.

I wonder if a team has ever opened the season with an onside kick. Maybe we should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Yes! Special teams last year was... I’m sure everyone remembers the two KO returns for TDs by USF against us last year. I also remember lackluster production on punt and kickoff returns last year. Hopefully ST has improved and will be an asset instead of a liability.

I wonder if a team has ever opened the season with an onside kick. Maybe we should.

I’m pretty sure Mark Richt did that before. I could be wrong though

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Either taking them to the wire or managing to pull-off the unthinkable, we would be front-page news across the college football world to say the least.
If Clemson shows up thinking they are there to celebrate last years National Title and over-looks actually playing football we have an early chance.
If it's still close or were ahead at the half, maybe the "OH SH**" factor comes into play in the second half, turnovers, missed assignments, etc. ??
Bottom line for me is, I want us to at least be competitive. If we can be competitive against Clemson, my season expectations would rise dramatically ...

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Either taking them to the wire or managing to pull-off the unthinkable, we would be front-page news across the college football world to say the least.
If Clemson shows up thinking they are there to celebrate last years National Title and over-looks actually playing football we have an early chance.
If it's still close or were ahead at the half, maybe the "OH SH**" factor comes into play in the second half, turnovers, missed assignments, etc. ??
Bottom line for me is, I want us to at least be competitive. If we can be competitive against Clemson, my season expectations would rise dramatically ...
That’s my opinion on it too. If we appear at least competitive then I could handle it. If we are as talent depleted as some say and we get crushed well then we’ll take it like men and look forward to improving

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate the thoughts but rotating QBs is always tough because it’s hard for them to find a rhythm. I think it would be impossible to rotate QBs and find a rhythm in game one.

I think our only chance to keep it close is to win the turnover battle. I also think we’ll need to run some misdirection, reverses, and play action to hopefully catch their D out of step. Selfishly, I’d also love to see one TO play. [emoji106]

The best chance to win is to shorten the game (limit the plays Clemson has). Play ball control and run the clock. Nothing frustrates a great team expecting to win more than to not let them have the ball and build up the expected lead. We will get blown out in a high scoring shoot out. I agree that winning the turnover battle is also a necessary ingredient for success. Gimmick plays work against ordinary teams but usually not against great teams. They also lead to your team's three and outs.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Gimmick plays work against ordinary teams but usually not against great teams. They also lead to your team's three and outs.

I would normally agree but my thoughts are different since it’s the first game of the season. I just think they may be super hyped and be out of position due to over pursuing the play. The biggest thing is that we can’t play toe-to-toe with them, even on our best day, and we have nothing to lose. This is no hit on our guys...90% of teams can’t play toe-to-toe with them.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
35 - 3 is the average score at end of 3rd quarter in the last 4 games against uga and Clemson. W our run offense they shot down thier offense and let us burn clock. We won 4 th q 10- 3 to make it seem close.

But this is 2019 What if:
First assume we are close at half . They come out and l open up the playbook
Remember this is our What If dreams.

That plays into cgc s hands as he makes half time adjustments for turnovers and a pick six.

Final score very close and the swarm posters unanimously say great in game coaching by cgc.

Never mind - we only scored 7 in 4th quarter.

Here is the reality for the Clemson game.
1. It is at Clemson so home field advantage
2. Trevor Lawrence is really good
3. Ettiene is a really good running back
4. They have got a pretty good O line and a great D front 7
5. We are not an empty team of players
6. Harvin is the punter Wells is the kicker, Thomas is the return guy, Camp is a wide receiver, Curry is a starting linebacker, that is all the starters we and Clemson know of as of right now
7. They have no idea what offense we re running or defense. Even if they study Temple the last two years or ourSpring game they have nothing to prepare with.
8. Venables, like every DC that we play is ecstatic that they no longer have to dedicate 30% of every practice to CPJ and our offense.

Could we win, sure. I will leave it at that

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
6. Harvin is the punter Wells is the kicker, Thomas is the return guy, Camp is a wide receiver, Curry is a starting linebacker, that is all the starters we and Clemson know of as of right now
7. They have no idea what offense we re running or defense. Even if they study Temple the last two years or ourSpring game they have nothing to prepare with.
8. Venables, like every DC that we play is ecstatic that they no longer have to dedicate 30% of every practice to CPJ and our offense.

So your saying there’s a chance. [emoji23]

Sean311

Helluva Engineer

Wait Ettiene is still there????

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Dabo isn't one to intentionally run up the score and will either substitute heavily or keep things vanilla for his starters, though if an opponent insists on not giving up -- like Tech last year cutting the margin from 7-42 to 21-42 and moving the ball -- Dabo will put the starters back in, which I have no problem with and neither did CPJ.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
College football is wildly unpredictable, perhaps even more so in the first week of the season when P5 opponents match up. Week one match ups are almost like bowl games and we have all felt the frustration of trying to pick those right. Only a fool would PICK us to win straight up. Having said that, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we did win either. Moral victories are not in my DNA, so I will not even talk about a loss that makes me happy. Currently, I feel less knowledgeable about where we are as a team than I have in way over a decade. True, I have not immersed myself in TECH football news this off season, but I'm not sure how much that would have helped anyway. There are just so many questions. The spring game was an infomercial and nothing more.

What I WANT more than anything, even a win, is for us to stick to our guns (meaning the culture we have heard so much about, attacking everything...) and play this thing to win. Aggression has been implemented (supposedly) in all all aspects of the program's preparation, whether it be workouts, recruiting, academics, practices, or what have you. I want to see that in every phase of the game from the coaches as well as players. If we go down, I want us to go down swinging our bayonets about after having run out of ammo. If we do so, it will be proof to me that we are truly building something. Merely winning alone, won't really prove that. If we play passive and somehow eek out a win on a bunch of silly mistakes by the opposition, I will be thankful for the W but still disappointed that the "culture" I have been hearing about is a sham.

Some of the public talk I have heard from coaches and the like is a little cliche' for my taste, but some of it really resonates with me too. I absolutely love the "competition is king" motto and I could swear that CGC has taken some of his philosophy straight out of my beloved USMC playbook. One of the things that the USMC does right is stick to their core culture and warrior mentality in literally EVERYTHING they do. My son is a Marine now and I swear, after listening to him, nothing has changed culturally since my day. Modern sensitivities have not been catered to in the least bit. You have to earn everything and fight for it continuously. Being pushed to your absolute limits in every way, shape, or form is just a normal day of training. For those who are unfamiliar, you would be surprised how far that type of mentality can take any group committed to a common cause. If it is true and not just public lip service, then I expect one heck of a good fight.