Deep From The “What If?” Drawer

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
In my what if drawer, on page 392 it says:

What if Tech goes into Death Valley and rotates Tobias Oliver and Lucas Johnson in the first half? A quarter each. The team keeps it in reach/manageable going into the half.

What if...
Jordan Yates saves the day? Or at the very least makes it interesting. I watched his senior season highlights and he is clutch. I realize that we are playing Clemson. I realize we will more than likely get killed. I realize we have no D line depth. I know we wear too much blue and the wrong shade of gold. I know this is probably not gonna happen. But what if we at least found out who had a solid performance at QB and he looked promising.

It’s the off-season. It’s going to be a long month. Can we all have a discussion with no arguing please ? Lol this is the weirdest gathering of people on the internet by far and I’m honored to bask in it.

Go Jackets. THWg.

One month, gentleman (and I think there is a few females on here too). Then the reason we are all here exists again for a few short months. Let’s enjoy a new ride. It’s part of life.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate the thoughts but rotating QBs is always tough because it’s hard for them to find a rhythm. I think it would be impossible to rotate QBs and find a rhythm in game one.

I think our only chance to keep it close is to win the turnover battle. I also think we’ll need to run some misdirection, reverses, and play action to hopefully catch their D out of step. Selfishly, I’d also love to see one TO play. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I would love for the defense to bring chaos , jump some clemson pass routes , get some sacks.

Whenever we get 3 and out, i hope p harvin kicks mortar shots ( the pregame warm ups are a thing of beauty).

Love to see our wr go up and make catches.

I would love to see the ol guards manhandle the middle. Man it would be good to see a muscled up hansen and cooper and scott morgan -- ol starts in the middle.

There is no tape on this team.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It's the first game for both teams anything can happen. They play the 2 teams that give them fits last year right after our game. Should they best us ? Yes, but the 1st game anything can happen.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I like your idea. Let all 3 of them play and see who performs the best against the best team in the nation and see who comes out on top. I’m sorry but I just don’t think we have any chance in this game so at least use this as a barometer for talent performance. But I’d like to see us keep it close.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My what if for that first game focuses on the D.

What if our D holds them in check and our O is given time to get comfortable?

Then anything could happen.

I think we are more likely to win 14-13 than 35-31 (which is not the same as being more likely to win).

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
We'd be the talk of the town for a weekend if we took them to the wire, let alone if we won.

There’s a lot of people assuming we’re going to lose.

There’s no chance we win AT Clemson, against the team they have(their 2nd string could beat us), on opening night. They were UNDEFEATED and curbstomped Alabama and they didn’t lose a ton. Their 3+ NFL Receivers and Trevor Lawrence will shred us to pieces. And their multiple 4-5 star running backs. It’s not going to be close. Just how bad do they want to make it?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There’s no chance we win AT Clemson, against the team they have(their 2nd string could beat us), on opening night. They were UNDEFEATED and curbstomped Alabama and they didn’t lose a ton. Their 3+ NFL Receivers and Trevor Lawrence will shred us to pieces. And their multiple 4-5 star running backs. It’s not going to be close. Just how bad do they want to make it?

Our first what if that says what if they
1. max protect and throw long on every play. From NFL quality qb to great wr s could be very ugly.
2. they load the box and bring it on every play - early season jitters yield turn overs. More ugly.

I hope you are wrong and clemson comes out playing conservative.

Like ae said our " what if " is a low scoring game that imo is a field position dominated game.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I won't be surprised if our new D keeps the game closer than it should be but I don't expect the O to have similar success vs their D. I think the GT +32 line I've seen is favorable to us. I think it will be an easy Clemson victory....something like 38-17...but that's a breath-easy cover for us.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd be pleasantly surprised if we keep it under a 24 point deficit.

I actually think what could make it interesting would be special teams. If WW nails a couple long FGs, JT breaks loose on a KR return, and PHIII can consistently boom punts that don't allow Clemson's athletes to get big returns, we could make it interesting.

Now, if Lawrence comes out and tries to do too much (like Tua did at times this year, always going for the home run), and we make those big ST plays and don't turn it over ourselves, it would get really fun.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Now this is what I call pleasant, civil, and calm sports banter. I approve. Keep it up everyone.

And remember, ITS OKAY! Someone will disagree with you on something. That’s okay.

Personally I think our lack of depth will prove to be our weak point. Even if we do manage to keep it close for a while, Clemson’s depth allows them to pull away. All the while, Jordan Yates is still making plays lol

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hope we can redshirt Yates. He may prove to be able to do the things in the run game that TO can do and also bring the passing ability that LJ seems to have. If so, play him from day one.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
So how has The Orange given them such fits the past two years. Surely there is something there to look at. I'm afraid it's "bog them down with a big OL/DL", which isn't good for us.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Anybody know what the largest jump in the rankings has ever been from a win? I'd imagine going from 75th or whatever they have us ranked at into the top 25 would be up there...

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate the thoughts but rotating QBs is always tough because it’s hard for them to find a rhythm. I think it would be impossible to rotate QBs and find a rhythm in game one.

I think our only chance to keep it close is to win the turnover battle. I also think we’ll need to run some misdirection, reverses, and play action to hopefully catch their D out of step. Selfishly, I’d also love to see one TO play. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree it can be risky. But in my gold goggled day dream scenario we rotate qbs til we found one that worked. Or brought out Yates as a weapon and he balls out. This is highly unlikely but WHAT IF?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Anybody know what the largest jump in the rankings has ever been from a win? I'd imagine going from 75th or whatever they have us ranked at into the top 25 would be up there...
Only an engineer could make a calculated jump in rankings like that.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
So how has The Orange given them such fits the past two years. Surely there is something there to look at. I'm afraid it's "bog them down with a big OL/DL", which isn't good for us.
I’ve wondered the same what Dino has cooked up for Dabo the past two seasons. I agree with there definitely being something to look at.

I also noticed while watching Clemson/ND last season that even tho Clemson was handling them fairly easily, ND was blitzing the hell out of T Lawrence. I hadn’t recalled seeing any team get pressure on him like ND that night.