Dedrick Mills dismissed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
only a matter of time.. He didn't change his ways.. I hate it for the kid and the team.
Hopefully he lands somewhere that can help him..

Next man up!

I think you could have broken this news before anyone. If I recall, you said this would happen a long time back.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I do honestly wish there were common rules about this stuff from school to school rather than the self policing. Whatever your opinion about it is, the rules are the rules and he's got to go, but holy crap man, kids don't get kicked off the team for this sort of thing at most other schools.

So now that's Custis, Leggett, Mills at BB. Am I missing anyone?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm disappointed for him. And while I recognize the rules, if it's for marajuana it leads to questioning whether the rule makes a damn bit of sense. My instincts tell me it doesn't.
I mean, it's an illegal drug. I personally think that's ridiculous, but the law is the law. If you KNOW the policy, and you KNOW you have two strikes, I mean...you're at GT...switch to whiskey clear or something.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't they just move Ponchez-Mason from BB to AB because we had too many B-backs? Now a few days later we're thin.

Can't believe Mills didn't even make it to the first freakin game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
How does the team do drug testing? Random tests throughout the year? Are all players tested?
NCAA does one test at the beginning of the year mostly for PED's, not looking for weed. Individual schools do drug testing throughout the year, usually specifically looking for weed or other similar drugs. These are usually random but most coaches will give the players a nudge in the side to make sure they are clean (usually). NCAA only tests for drugs like weed entering the national championship game, so this dismissal was totally up to Tech's discretion if it came down to weed.

Ok so here I go.
1. Probably Dope. Why is it these guys have to do that stuff. I know it is not out there but what else could it be.
2. Wonder if Marcus Marshal and his family are saying, um messed up
3. Mills was a bruiser but he did have draw backs. Not great top end speed so no real threat to burst long runs.
4. Is Benson still hurt. He or one of the Freshmen may be the answer.
5. Does this change QB selection logic. MJ may be a steady hand for a new B-Back but a TM may provide that explosiveness we may need.
6. As long as the O line blocks we can get a B-back to pick up 4 yards per play.
7. A backs A backs A backs. Frankly that is going to provide the success for the offense.
8. Better defense?

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
This was the absolute one piece of news this offseason that we did not want to hear. Anybody but him.

IMO losing Andrew Marshall hurts more in the short term. But yeah such high hopes pinned on Mills for the season - dashed.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
A couple thoughts:
1) People need to not overreact. Mills was a great player, but we still have talent at BBack. We'll be okay there. Howard sounds like he's doing well and he's got the size at 6'0" and 215 lbs. Benson is also a great option and I'm okay with Quaide.
2) People shouldn't speculate about the reasons for dismissal. Wait until the report comes out. His previous offenses were for showing up to practice late (or was it skipping a meeting?). Though I admit Athletic Department rules is a step up from team rules.
3) This may explain why CPJ looked a bit jittery a couple days ago in his post practice interview. He might have known then that Mills was out.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Didn't they just move Ponchez-Mason from BB to AB because we had too many B-backs? Now a few days later we're thin.

Can't believe Mills didn't even make it to the first freakin game!

Coach said Mason has been getting reps at Aback and Bback. The kid is going to be special imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.