DeAndre Smelter has a torn ACL

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
This is not the best of news. DeAndre hope you come thru the process as good as new!

There is some good news. The amount of season ending injuries this year has been small compared to the average. Believe the strength and conditioning efforts are helping contribute to this.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I feel really bad for DeAndre, he worked so hard to get to where he is now. I know he will get a shot at the next level, but this will definitely hurt his draft stock.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Well ****. All because the refs don't know how to blow a whistle. How much of a tear is it? Really hope this doesn't hurt his draft stock too much.

Silver lining we get to see more of what we got next year in the younger guys. Next man up.

I don't know, but as I recall, the whistle was clear and close by, while Smelter had stopped running. Kid then took a second shot at Smelter's legs.

That's not what I remember. I remember there being no whistle until after Smelter was in the process of being tackled a second time.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Truly a sucker punch - DeAndre was a big reason for the season's success. I don't believe it was intentional - just hate the way it happened. I would say DeAndre was one of three players who will be the hardest to replace. JeT and Shaq being the other two. Like to see Ricky J get a look this week - he has thrown some devastating blocks and seems to have good hands

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
The whistle was not blown because I believe Smelter was tackled on top of the defender. Didnt look like an ACL in real time or replay. Its weird how those things just pop up. I hate that for him. He is an absolute beast. I place complete blame on the refs not blowing the play dead SEVERAL times in this game. We sure did need him for the last 2 games. Waller and Co. Need to step it up big time.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ugh...this makes my stomach sick. I'm not even worried about how it hurts us against FSU or our bowl game...I'm more worried about his immediate pro future as he was targeted as a WR prospect drafted in the top 2-4 rounds. ACL injuries take a while to come back from fully 100%, and teams will take that into consideration. Hopefully teams will overlook it when they see the tape and draft off potential to help the team ala Willis McGahee a while back.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I've had 3 ACL tears. He will be good to go as long as the surgeon doesn't screw up. Any other damage. My last one I had damage to MCL, LCL, and lateral miniscus which made the recover much worse.

Good luck and I'll be rooting like crazy for you. I hope he still gets drafted. Whoever gets him will get a steal.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
That is really a tough injury at this stage of the season for Smelter. Feel bad for him but they will fix it surgically and after some rehabilitation he will be good to give the NFL a shot in about nine (9) months. It is certainly a big loss on the field in several ways. However, Waller has been catching balls all season long too and now he will have his opportunity to be the go to guy on Saturday. Summers and Messick will do just fine catching the football and they both are very tough blockers out on the edge.

Considering the personnel depletion that took place on the roster this past summer, GT was very fortunate to have gotten this far without any major injuries such as this one to DeAndre. But we have WR's that have been in this system, played, and performed well when called upon.