David Cutcliffe...

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
You should include Kevin Cone, even though he wasn't drafted. He's earned a living from the Pros and had done enough to stick around.

I'll add him in. Maybe lower down the hexagons to please supersize

Edit. Can't find a decent picture of him in a GT uniform.

Last edited:

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
David Buttcliffe is just jealous. Though in all seriousness he's a very good man and a good coach. Losing over and over again can sour a man; do you think Johnson is a Beamer fan? (Though methinks the tide has turned in that series.)

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Anybody notice the early returns on Duke's 2016 recruiting class? Scout has them #8, two places behind UGA.

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
"Anybody notice the early returns on Duke's 2016 recruiting class? Scout has them #8, two places behind UGA."

This

Many seem to view of things as they were and not as they are.

Duke is no longer a joke in football. As of late they have been winning and defeated our team in their last meeting. Some may wish to discount their recent success and point out the weak out of conference scheduling, but the bottom line is that recruits have noticed and are responding to Duke’s winning ways. It might be said that to today’s recruit, labeling Duke a pitiful program rings just as, if not more, hollow as saying a receiver wishing to be noticed by NFL should avoid GT.

The problem is that there are only so many D1 prospects in the south that are excellent on the field and in the classroom. In addition to the factories these prospects that may chose among the elite southern institutions of GT, Duke, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Tulane and Rice.

Unfortunately for us James Franklin at Vanderbilt and now David Cutcliffe at Duke demonstrate that some success on the field combined with pointing out negatives, real or imagined, of GT definitely moves the needle with this group of prospects away from GT toward the alternative institution. This cycle we have lost several recruiting battles to Duke, an unthinkable outcome in the past.

"Anybody notice the early returns on Duke's 2016 recruiting class? Scout has them #8, two places behind UGA."

This

Many seem to view of things as they were and not as they are.

Duke is no longer a joke in football. As of late they have been winning and defeated our team in their last meeting. Some may wish to discount their recent success and point out the weak out of conference scheduling, but the bottom line is that recruits have noticed and are responding to Duke’s winning ways. It might be said that to today’s recruit, labeling Duke a pitiful program rings just as, if not more, hollow as saying a receiver wishing to be noticed by NFL should avoid GT.

The problem is that there are only so many D1 prospects in the south that are excellent on the field and in the classroom. In addition to the factories these prospects that may chose among the elite southern institutions of GT, Duke, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Tulane and Rice.

Unfortunately for us James Franklin at Vanderbilt and now David Cutcliffe at Duke demonstrate that some success on the field combined with pointing out negatives, real or imagined, of GT definitely moves the needle with this group of prospects away from GT toward the alternative institution. This cycle we have lost several recruiting battles to Duke, an unthinkable outcome in the past.
I agree with your logic but not your conclusion. How have we lost "several" recruiting battles to Duke?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your logic but not your conclusion. How have we lost "several" recruiting battles to Duke?
And when did Franklin negatively recruit? Don't doubt it, but the generality of "losing several" battles and losing to negative recruiting is just kind of lazy in my view. Cite something. (And I don't think being 1-6 or so against GT under Johnson is anything to posture about, by any team.) What I don't quite get is why, if recruiting is so good and prospects are so bright, Duke put together a schedule playing pooh bears in '15.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Last edited:

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Played "golf" next to BeyBey last night at TopGolf. Talked to him for a good while. Great kid.

On a side note, he was using his receiving gloves instead of a golf glove. When I shook his hand, it became apparent just how effective those gloves can be for catching passes.[/ QUOTE]
Did he say anything about his contract situation? Does he think he is going to get it done or will he have to take the one year $12M deal (not bad for a WR from GT ;))

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And when did Franklin negatively recruit? Don't doubt it, but the generality of "losing several" battles and losing to negative recruiting is just kind of lazy in my view. Cite something. (And I don't think being 1-6 or so against GT under Johnson is anything to posture about, by any team.) What I don't quite get is why, if recruiting is so good and prospects are so bright, Duke put together a schedule playing pooh bears in '15.
I also do not think of Duke as an "arrived program." Every year when people have contests to pick bowl games I always feel very safe picking Duke to lose.

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
“Don't doubt it, but the generality of "losing several" battles and losing to negative recruiting is just kind of lazy in my view.”

Really?

This very thread is response to negative comments made by Cutcliffe regarding GT.
This very website list 4 of our early offers that have chosen to commit to Duke instead of GT: Brittian Brown, Chazz Surratt, Jaylen Miller and Elijah Deveaux.

“I also do not think of Duke as an "arrived program." Every year when people have contests to pick bowl games I always feel very safe picking Duke to lose.”

That really doesn’t matter. What matters what recruits think and do and right now more are picking Duke than GT.

Last edited:

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I also do not think of Duke as an "arrived program." Every year when people have contests to pick bowl games I always feel very safe picking Duke to lose.

It helps to look in perspective. In the 90's and early 00's Duke was often synonymous with cupcake. I remember Bobby Bowden playing underclassmen in the 1st half against them a few times, just running fancy formations & rotating the whole roster to get warmed up, then FSU would handle them in about 5 minutes in the 3rd quarter (Halftime score: Duke 13, FSU 10. Final score: FSU 61, Duke 13). They haven't arrived as an ACC favorite but they've arrived as being competitive at a high level. And I despise Cutcliffe for his remarks as much as anybody around here.

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
“Don't doubt it, but the generality of "losing several" battles and losing to negative recruiting is just kind of lazy in my view.”

Really?

This very thread is in response to negative comments made by Cutcliffe regarding GT.
This very website list 4 of our early offers that have chosen to commit to Duke instead of GT: Brittian Brown, Chazz Surratt, Jaylen Miller and Elijah Deveaux.

“I also do not think of Duke as an "arrived program." Every year when people have contests to pick bowl games I always feel very safe picking Duke to lose.”

That really doesn’t matter. What matters is what recruits think and do, and right now more are picking Duke than GT.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I see. What's so funny is that Kevin Cone is entering his 4th year as a wide receiver in the NFL and he only had 5 total receptions as a GT receiver. There's not many options of shots of him catching the ball in a GT uniform.
Okay, now I get it. Way to subtle for me clearly. Thanks.