David Cutcliffe...

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Would be cool to get the GT guys playing Wide Out in the NFL to host a clinic for HS kids back at the new indoor facility.. Use the aforementioned #WideRxrI

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I lost a lot of respect for Cutcliffe when I saw that interview last summer. It's one thing to say stuff like that in living rooms, but to try and leverage the fact that Demaryius chooses to work out with Peyton Manning over the summer at Duke and discredit DT's development while at GT is just desperate. I've never heard CPJ ever try to say anything negative about another staff or school.

Always thought Cutcliffe held himself to a higher standard than that. Guess I was wrong.
Most of those listening, I gather, were unaware that Thomas works every winter with Calvin Johnson and others at the GT indoor facility, where one of Thomas's rigid, unbreakable rules is there is no red and black attire. But yes, Cutcliffe is a jerk. And it doesn't even work for him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Most of those listening, I gather, were unaware that Thomas works every winter with Calvin Johnson and others at the GT indoor facility, where one of Thomas's rigid, unbreakable rules is there is no red and black attire. But yes, Cutcliffe is a jerk. And it doesn't even work for him.

That's Calvin Johnson's rule. Started when he got Matthew Stafford to workout with him in Atlanta along with Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson...it's grown into a bigger workout once AJ Green reached out to CJ to be his mentor. Now a lot of other NFL players come to town to workout at GT with our guys. People would be surprised how many pro athletes come to GT to use our facilities to work out.

Demaryius Thomas works out, well use to work out (not doing this year), at Duke with Peyton Manning and the other Broncos WRs. Started when Manning was working his way back from nerve surgery. Continued last year because Manning is a task master. It's unfortunate that Cutcliffe decided to use that to make CPJ's recruiting and talent development look bad to help himself.

Anyhow...for those who are out of the loop:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/dukes-cutcliffe-offers-tech-coaches-backhanded-com/nhdhn/

He really looks like an idiot after GT had TWO WRs taken in the draft. Which now gives CPJ 4 WR draft picks, and 5 total WRs in the league...compared to 1 for Duke.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
One of the stranger aspects of Cutcliffe's anti-GT recruiting spiel captured in that press conference was that he was doing what would clearly seem imprudent . . . he was revealing his anti-Tech recruiting spiel in public to the media. And he basically does so unbidden, he just tears into it. One of the reporters even seems to react like "huh"? and defends Tech a bit by mentioning the wide receivers like Johnson and Thomas.

For those who get impatient with CPJ's demeanor in press conferences and on the record media sessions I think this kind of shows what he is trying to do to some degree. Namely, CPJ is trying to really stay in control and parse his words or get a certain message across. The last thing he wants to do is be as relaxed as Cutcliffe that he starts forgetting where he is and who he is talking to and ends up feeding the opposition locker room material.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I lost a lot of respect for Cutcliffe when I saw that interview last summer. It's one thing to say stuff like that in living rooms, but to try and leverage the fact that Demaryius chooses to work out with Peyton Manning over the summer at Duke and discredit DT's development while at GT is just desperate. I've never heard CPJ ever try to say anything negative about another staff or school.

Always thought Cutcliffe held himself to a higher standard than that. Guess I was wrong.
Agree completely. I actually had a good opinion of Cutcliffe prior to that interview. But that was the most bush league unprofessional thing I had ever heard a head coach at that level say. I have no respect for him now.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That's Calvin Johnson's rule. Started when he got Matthew Stafford to workout with him in Atlanta along with Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson...it's grown into a bigger workout once AJ Green reached out to CJ to be his mentor. Now a lot of other NFL players come to town to workout at GT with our guys. People would be surprised how many pro athletes come to GT to use our facilities to work out.

Demaryius Thomas works out, well use to work out (not doing this year), at Duke with Peyton Manning and the other Broncos WRs. Started when Manning was working his way back from nerve surgery. Continued last year because Manning is a task master. It's unfortunate that Cutcliffe decided to use that to make CPJ's recruiting and talent development look bad to help himself.

Anyhow...for those who are out of the loop:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/dukes-cutcliffe-offers-tech-coaches-backhanded-com/nhdhn/

He really looks like an idiot after GT had TWO WRs taken in the draft. Which now gives CPJ 4 WR draft picks, and 5 total WRs in the league...compared to 1 for Duke.
Lot of info, thanks. And you're right. I flipped the names as the anecdote involved Green, I think. I am guessing he (Thomas) is being really careful until his contract situation is set in stone. GT should be grateful that Cutcliffe is such a peach of a guy.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Would be cool to get the GT guys playing Wide Out in the NFL to host a clinic for HS kids back at the new indoor facility.. Use the aforementioned #WideRxrI
To commemorate it Johnson could announce he is opening up his passing game. He'd throw once more, just for fun.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Reasons our WRs get drafted:

-They can BLOCK.
-They are UNSELFISH (don't have to listen to the gripe of THROW ME THE BALL all the time)
-They are BUILT the right way (6'3" - 6'6" and 215 - 240lbs)

Also as more teams start to move toward the run first or read option styles (ala San Francisco / Carolina / Philadelphia / etc...) our WRs will be coveted in the draft imo.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Reasons our WRs get drafted:

-They can BLOCK.
-They are UNSELFISH (don't have to listen to the gripe of THROW ME THE BALL all the time)
-They are BUILT the right way (6'3" - 6'6" and 215 - 240lbs)

Also as more teams start to move toward the run first or read option styles (ala San Francisco / Carolina / Philadelphia / etc...) our WRs will be coveted in the draft imo.

Well, the NFL is all about "balance"...which means WRs have to black 50+/- percent of the time. On top of that, a WR only gets throw to 10-15 times a game (if they're a premier WR), which means the other 60+ plays the WR has to do something else besides catch the ball.

gtlarkin82

Georgia Tech Fan
Played "golf" next to BeyBey last night at TopGolf. Talked to him for a good while. Great kid.

On a side note, he was using his receiving gloves instead of a golf glove. When I shook his hand, it became apparent just how effective those gloves can be for catching passes.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I got bored tonight while watching a movie.

6uitJ7Z.png