Dave Patenaude's Offense

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, either past things matter or they don't. You can't logically just pick and choose. Past facts either matter or they don't. We lost to the Citadel. It's a matter of record. We've won four nattys, it's a matter of record (well I guess some stupid people choose to debate one of them, but piss on'em.)

I'm just saying we can't say that losing the Citadel isn't relevant to who we are as a program and then say that winning a natty 100 years ago is relevant. At least, that's where my intellectual integrity draws a line.
Absolutely ridiculous. I’m absolutely sure Alabama fans are more focused on any one of their national championships than the the Saban loss to Louisiana Monroe!
Get real. Either they matter or they don’t ?

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
People who don’t control their own narrative sulk in losses like our’s to the citadel. CGC writes his own narrative. That doesn’t excuse some sloppy football or the lack of coaching against SU 3 weeks ago. It just means the narrative continues to be about growth and promise - nobody of influence thinks otherwise.

As long as that’s the narrative, the citadel or other bad losses are of zero consequence. Every vision requires a proof of concept - I hope we offer at least 3 more this season.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
People who don’t control their own narrative sulk in losses like our’s to the citadel. CGC writes his own narrative. That doesn’t excuse some sloppy football or the lack of coaching against SU 3 weeks ago. It just means the narrative continues to be about growth and promise - nobody of influence thinks otherwise.

As long as that’s the narrative, the citadel or other bad losses are of zero consequence. Every vision requires a proof of concept - I hope we offer at least 3 more this season.
What the crap are you talking about? LOL

I can assure you I control my narrative, but the fact that I lost a lot of money on WebVan during the dotcom bubble still matters. It doesn't define me nor in any way determine my future. But I learned something from it and because of that it 'matters'. My god I hope you don't lead people. Failures matter...in the sense that you learn from them and learn how not to repeat them. But if you just ignore failures you're likely to repeat them. So tell me, do you think we learned anything from the Citadel game? If we did and it helps us play better don't you think it matters?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I can assure you I control my narrative, but the fact that I lost a lot of money on WebVan during the dotcom bubble still matters. It doesn't define me nor in any way determine my future. But I learned something from it and because of that it 'matters'. My god I hope you don't lead people. Failures matter...in the sense that you learn from them and learn how not to repeat them. But if you just ignore failures you're likely to repeat them. So tell me, do you think we learned anything from the Citadel game? If we did and it helps us play better don't you think it matters?

Something can matter and you can learn from something, but that doesn't mean it has to be brought up all the time...or at all, for that matter.

It was game 3 in a new system. We clearly messed the bed and clearly got better after that. What more needs to be said? Some still want to use it to beat the staff over the head. Its silly.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Man, WebVan was just ahead of their time. They would be crushing it right now.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck

Sorry about the webvan investment. I would encourage you to watch the national media - nobody discusses the citadel loss. It’s about building for a better future. I look at coaches like Scott Scatterfield - probably a better Xs & Os guys than CGC - I don’t see the same positivity as I see around CGC

slugboy

Staff member
Sorry about the webvan investment. I would encourage you to watch the national media - nobody discusses the citadel loss. It’s about building for a better future. I look at coaches like Scott Scatterfield - probably a better Xs & Os guys than CGC - I don’t see the same positivity as I see around CGC
Just a little quibble—Satterfield and Collins are just different X and O people.

Satterfield is X’s and O’s on the offensive side. He’s been primarily an offensive coach, and was a former QB. Collins is an X’s and O’s coach on the defensive side, primarily coached defense his entire career, and was a linebacker. They’re different X’s and O’s, and I’d say Collins is as respected a defensive coach as Satterfield is on offense.

I thought Satterfield—or Satterfield’s OC—was doing good work against us last Friday. There were a couple of times that Louisville created schematic mismatches against us. I think we just have some better and more athletic players on offense and they played like they were better and more athletic.

Louisville was getting a bunch of hype at the beginning of the season, and was ranked for a while. They have a lot of positivity around their program, too. For Tech, coaches who know of Collins (including high school coaches) expect our defense to get crazy good in another year or two as conditioning and recruiting do their work. Some of the Tech positivity is because of a track record of good defense.

The offense becoming decent is a surprise bonus. With Collins, the expectation was that the offense would be passable and the defense would be really good.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just a little quibble—Satterfield and Collins are just different X and O people.

Satterfield is X’s and O’s on the offensive side. He’s been primarily an offensive coach, and was a former QB. Collins is an X’s and O’s coach on the defensive side, primarily coached defense his entire career, and was a linebacker. They’re different X’s and O’s, and I’d say Collins is as respected a defensive coach as Satterfield is on offense.

I thought Satterfield—or Satterfield’s OC—was doing good work against us last Friday. There were a couple of times that Louisville created schematic mismatches against us. I think we just have some better and more athletic players on offense and they played like they were better and more athletic.

Louisville was getting a bunch of hype at the beginning of the season, and was ranked for a while. They have a lot of positivity around their program, too. For Tech, coaches who know of Collins (including high school coaches) expect our defense to get crazy good in another year or two as conditioning and recruiting do their work. Some of the Tech positivity is because of a track record of good defense.

The offense becoming decent is a surprise bonus. With Collins, the expectation was that the offense would be passable and the defense would be really good.

Collins was a Broyles Award nominee at 3 different places...one of those places was FIU so you can't say it was because he benefitted from SEC talent.

There's a reason why you hear "master of mayhem" and "he'll wreck you" when people talk about CGC.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Collins was a Broyles Award nominee at 3 different places...one of those places was FIU so you can't say it was because he benefitted from SEC talent.

There's a reason why you hear "master of mayhem" and "he'll wreck you" when people talk about CGC.
I can’t wait for that, there’s nothing better than a badda$$ defense that put the fear of God into the other team

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I appreciate this post and have tried to draw this distinction before.

When many discuss X's and O's in these debates, they are unwittingly referring to offense only and conflating that to general coaching/game planning ability.

Meanwhile there's another 60%+ of the game that includes D and ST, which also require X's and O's.

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes...However...stats are great but you have to win in order to impress recruits ... which is his schtick ... recruit...recruit ... recruit. I like it but if you look like a coaching dumpster fire in 2019 and in UCF / Cuse.
Yes, we are at an overall talent disparity. But the offense didn't know the plays --- Patenaude's quote --- They haven't been able to line up correctly or know the snap count add that to some bat sheet crazy play calling and you are gonna get criticized and rightly so.
Kinda emphasizes the lack of a normal off season and a true freshman quarterback don’t you think? I don’t understand the overall negative outlook for a lot of tech fans is what I’m getting at. I guess everyone is entitled their opinion, I just think if you know football, and the changes that are being made on the flats with our personnel and scheme change, you would see more reason to get behind these guys then rush to tear them down.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
But according to some I should remember the 1988 loss to Maryland the same as I should remember the win over Nebraska. You know what I remember, that it took Bobby Ross two and a half years to turn the roster and get us into the top tier.

We should have been way better the second Ross took over. He couldnt coach his way out of a we paper bag! That it took him a few seasons to turn us around is an embarrassment. Will NEVER live down that Maryland loss.

I dont care if Collins inherited a 3-8 team with a crappy defense and personel recruited and trained to run a unique offense--one in which skills and physique do not carry over to mainstream offenses. Losing to the Citadel shall forever and ever be his enduring legacy! And I shall post about it relentlessly.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We should have been way better the second Ross took over. He couldnt coach his way out of a we paper bag! That it took him a few seasons to turn us around is an embarrassment. Will NEVER live down that Maryland loss.

I dont care if Collins inherited a 3-8 team with a crappy defense and personel recruited and trained to run a unique offense--one in which skills and physique do not carry over to mainstream offenses. Losing to the Citadel shall forever and ever be his enduring legacy! And I shall post about it relentlessly.

I highly doubt that team with those personnel would have gone 3-8 with johnson helming it. And the issue is how he prepared fro the citdael. He literally had a roster tailor made to not be taken surprise by a damn rocket toss and yet... That is the issue.

slugboy

Staff member
I’ll just say a couple of things for right now
  1. we should have put up more than 7 points and gotten more first downs
  2. at 1:43 left in the game, having an insurmountable lead, with us having backups in the game, Venables was blitzing.
  3. throughout the second half, having a huge lead, Clemson kept going for it on 4th down.
  4. it’s up to us to overcome Clemson and what they do
  5. we have some special players at running back.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Dabo was sending a message. "We own you GT".
Now this loss needs to be put on the locker room wall so these guys don't forget it. Pride and desire.
This game, the 52-7 UGA game, and the 45-0 VT game need to played on repeat in the locker room for the next year, or until we beat all 3 of them