Dartmouth

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Chapman pitched really well in the first considering the first two hits were seeing eye hits (single and double).

Then fielder's choice, STRIKE OUT and ground out. Nice nice poise. A lot of pitches (21) but 16 were strikes.

Only down 1-0 coming to B1.
Poor jump from Murray in CF let that first one fall, really should’ve been caught and then no runs may have come across. Chapman has some good stuff.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is a quote from Coach Hall after last night's (Friday's) game.

Today the offense showed UP!!

Congrats to Coach on #1200 career win!

"We’re still not anywhere where we’re going to be offensively,” Hall said. “I think guys are starting to get more comfortable. It’s great to see English start to swing the bat.”

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
No matter the competition...a sweep is nothing to scoff at. We are a better team than Dartmouth... and it played out that way over the entire series.

Lots to feel good about regarding this team. There are also plenty of things to clean up.

Credit pitching for the Friday's win. Only used 3 guys - Curry, Archer, Mannelly..and Archer and Mannelly were so efficient that Archer was able to pitch Saturday too.
Credit offense for Saturday's sweep... both games. 33 runs and 46 hits in 3 games is dominant offensively. Taking care of business.

Deleted member 2897

If I’m a homer, I’m pointing out that we’re extra innings away from 6-1, and we’ve scored 7+ in 6 straight games, and 10+ in 3 straight games.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Going forward, I think that the rotation should be Curry, Thomas, and Archer with Hurter and Chapman battling for the weekday spot. I believe that Hughes's niche is out of the pen. It looks like the main guys out of the pen should be Gibson, Hughes, Datoc, Carpenter, and probably Shirah and Mannelly for lefties. I would also like to see more of Serratos and English on the mound.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I did not get to stay and watch Game 2 today, but it appears the bullpen performed very well (much better than in Game 1 until Datoc appeared).

It sounds like Hall knew we were a MUCH better team than Dartmouth and that he figured we could overcome some "experiments" in pitching. And, so he experimented. Freshmen starting both games. Neither lasted 3 innings, but at least both got some live game experience. So, I won't comment anymore on either frosh (especially as I did not see Chapman live) other than to point out that Hunter threw 68% strikes (Yay!). I also think he told all the pitchers to just throw it over the plate and make Dartmouth hit them. And against some of our pitchers....Dartmouth *did* hit them. But overall, very few walks and the like helped us out.

The GOOD:
Datoc looked SO in control out there. The only thing that bothered him was the sun in his eyes on the throwbacks from the catcher. Dominating!
Archer was outstanding again with 70% strikes and 39 pitches to go 3 1/3 innings (that would get you into the 8th inning as a starter). This was after a 5 pitch inning on Friday night.
Hughes' line looks good with no hits in 3 innings (although 55% strikes doesn't blow me away, it led top only 1 BB and 1 WP)
The entire offense. We had a favorable wind but both teams batted out there and we hit a ton of home runs and scored a ton of runs. Everyone contributed. There were some fundamental errors on offense over the weekend...a runner picked off base, a failed bunt attempts to move a guy over to 3rd, failure to get a runner in from 3rd with less than 2 outs....those kinds of things can cost you in a game against good teams. So, there is work to be done. But we did hot double digits in every game.
The defense...1 error all weekend. And some very nice defensive plays (especially by Baron in RF Friday night).
Oh, and Curry was of course dominating. Dartmouth did hit some balls very hard off him, but he trusted his defense and kept the ball in the park and threw 80% strikes (!!!!)

I agree with whoever said they wanted to see more of Serrantos and Mannelly.

The BAD:
Jake Lee ....5 ER in 3 innings. Against Dartmouth. Just....no. Looked to me like he relied almost exclusively on his slider, and once the Big Green figured that out they just were trying to dink it into the opposite field. And it worked. He got a lot of 2 strike counts that he couldn't finish off. Looks to me like he needs an out pitch, and doesn't have that yet.
Keyton Gibson does not impress me. I am not sure what others seem to be seeing in him. He has struck me as extremely inconsistent since he got here...he could be a fireman or an arsonist out of the bullpen. Today, coming and letting Dartmouth go from 5-8 behind to 9-8 ahead in the space of two batters was NOT what I wanted to see.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Going forward, I think that the rotation should be Curry, Thomas, and Archer with Hurter and Chapman battling for the weekday spot. I believe that Hughes's niche is out of the pen. It looks like the main guys out of the pen should be Gibson, Hughes, Datoc, Carpenter, and probably Shirah and Mannelly for lefties. I would also like to see more of Serratos and English on the mound.

I think it's way too early for Hughes .... he was a lot better yesterday and if he continues to improve should be a weekend starter. So right now I'd expect Curry, Thomas and Archer for weekend and the mid-week being the testing ground. And don't rule out English later in the season; but I'd rather have him at 1st given our options there and if we can get three better starters for the weekend.

I'll say it again, I really liked Hall starting Hurter and Chapman. I expected neither true Fr to be very good and they didn't disappoint (see how I'm being positive?). But starting them sent a message that seniority isn't what it used to be under Hall. My biggest gripe with Hall's coaching has been sticking with an ineffective pitcher too long since he's an upper class-man. Also, it got them valuable experience in other than low pressure mop-up (CPJ could learn from that with QBs!!). No Hurter and Chapman didn't do well against an Ivy League team but they'll get better.

I'm going over to "The Arms 2018" to update ......

LibertyTurns

Banned
Why does GT make it so hard to find the score of the damn baseball games? I get incessant updates of women’s softball and tennis, but it’s dang near I’m possible to find the baseball scores. Is this an Apple IPad deal where they just hate Apple tablets or does this cut across other types of platforms?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why does GT make it so hard to find the score of the damn baseball games? I get incessant updates of women’s softball and tennis, but it’s dang near I’m possible to find the baseball scores. Is this an Apple IPad deal where they just hate Apple tablets or does this cut across other types of platforms?

Every Georgia Tech stat you ever wanted plus thousands more. http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=geot

Apple - pay twice as much for less functionality. Just a FORTRAN type guy's opinion.