Dartmouth

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tomorrow is going to be real interesting with the pitching starts by Hurter and Chapman. As true Fr, I wouldn't expect them to be able to successfully start against most ACC opponents. Maybe at most once through the rotation.

But they must be the best we have. Let's hope they get off to a good start tomorrow.

My plan would be to limit them to 3 innings and then turn over to Lee, Shiraz, English, Hughes, Serratos, Datoc and others ...... Once again, I really like that Hall isn't playing Hughes and Lee to start after they didn't do well. Give others a chance when it counts.

Finally, today was GREAT. No errors!!!!!!! And a shutout.

It was a pleasure to listen to Wiley and Jim Poole. Jim will be back tomorrow. Think he knows much about baseball? http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=16716

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Tomorrow is going to be real interesting with the pitching starts by Hurter and Chapman. As true Fr, I wouldn't expect them to be able to successfully start against most ACC opponents. Maybe at most once through the rotation.

But they must be the best we have. Let's hope they get off to a good start tomorrow.

My plan would be to limit them to 3 innings and then turn over to Lee, Shiraz, English, Hughes, Serratos, Datoc and others ...... Once again, I really like that Hall isn't playing Hughes and Lee to start after they didn't do well. Give others a chance when it counts.

Finally, today was GREAT. No errors!!!!!!! And a shutout.

It was a pleasure to listen to Wiley and Jim Poole. Jim will be back tomorrow. Think he knows much about baseball? http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=16716
I think that Hurter and Chapman can have success in the ACC. Just look at Shadday and Curry last year. I would like to see a few pitchers tomorrow though. Maybe go 5 innings (if they can get there) with the freshmen and then let the pen take over like you said.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Why no mention of Jake Brace? What is the story with him? I am hearing rumors that Gooden may be redshirted. Just rumor so far.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Why no mention of Jake Brace? What is the story with him? I am hearing rumors that Gooden may be redshirted. Just rumor so far.
It's still early. We have used Winborne and Serratos only a 1/3 of an inning and Combs hasn't pitched yet either. I really want to see Brace pitch though as I think that he will be an excellent pitcher down the road.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My first day at the Rusty C! My perceptions for whatever they’re worth:
(1) Curry was great for pitching strikes but was actually getting hit HARD in later innings. Just often at us or good defense baling him out. I suspect ACC hitters will damage his fastball though. He will need to throw other pitches in league play. But for this game, it was just fine!
(2) Actually did not think we hit the ball square very often. Not at all convinced about our offense just yet. Some nice hits ,mixed in with some lucky hits (hit ‘me where they ain’t): Good enough to begat Dartmouth? Yeah. Clemson? Ummm, not so sure
(3) THRILLED with the two bullpen innings! Exactly what I wanted to see! Nice work. Of course, it is a lot easier to pitch with a 7-0 or 10-0 lead.....
(4) defense was good today. As this was the first game I have seen, I am hopeful this is the real GT.
(5) It was warm and I was happy. Hard to beat winning at the Rusty C!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
My first day at the Rusty C! My perceptions for whatever they’re worth:
(1) Curry was great for pitching strikes but was actually getting hit HARD in later innings. Just often at us or good defense baling him out. I suspect ACC hitters will damage his fastball though. He will need to throw other pitches in league play. But for this game, it was just fine!
(2) Actually did not think we hit the ball square very often. Not at all convinced about our offense just yet. Some nice hits ,mixed in with some lucky hits (hit ‘me where they ain’t): Good enough to begat Dartmouth? Yeah. Clemson? Ummm, not so sure
(3) THRILLED with the two bullpen innings! Exactly what I wanted to see! Nice work. Of course, it is a lot easier to pitch with a 7-0 or 10-0 lead.....
(4) defense was good today. As this was the first game I have seen, I am hopeful this is the real GT.
(5) It was warm and I was happy. Hard to beat winning at the Rusty C!
Pretty jealous of folks who can just "...head down to Russ Chandler "
Your observations are good. Thank you. I'll add to the hitting concerns. My #1 pet peeve.. failing to get runner home from 3rd with less than 2 outs. IIRC 4 of our 8 "offensive" innings, we had a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs...& the batters did this:
-Pop out to short right (2nd inn)
-DP (3rd inn) - This did score a run because there were no outs; but that was a rally killer
-Foul out to 1B (5th inn)
-3 run HR by Guldberg which was AWESOME! Kid's first AB!

In fairness... some of these runners did score. Thanks to Dartmouth giving us 4 outs in the 2nd inning. Scored all 5 runs after E6 that would have ended inning. But give our guys credit for taking advantage. In 5th, Kel picked up RBI with a 2-out hit. So... that's good. But as competition improves.... you cannot survive on a 25% conversion rate.

Overall, great start to the weekend. No walks is huge! Staff has given up 1 run in last 18 innings. ...3 in the last 25 innings. That's outstanding.

Get to see freshman pitch tomorrow. Looking forward to that. CDH surprised me with this in his post game presser... Connor Thomas may be available tomorrow for "a couple" of innings & still be good to start on Tuesday. I figured he'd be rolled into weekend starter status. Perhaps a Tuesday start doesn't eliminate that possibility... but that seems like a lot to me.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Your observations are good. Thank you. I'll add to the hitting concerns. My #1 pet peeve.. failing to get runner home from 3rd with less than 2 outs. IIRC 4 of our 8 "offensive" innings, we had a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs...& the batters did this:
-DP (3rd inn) - This did score a run because there were no outs; but that was a rally killer
-Foul out to 1B

In fairness... some of these runners did score. Thanks to Dartmouth giving us 4 outs in the 2nd inning. Scored all 5 runs after E6 that would have ended inning. But give our guys credit for taking advantage. In 5th, Kel picked up RBI with a 2-out hit. So... that's good. But as competition improves.... you cannot survive on a 25% conversion rate.

Overall, great start to the weekend. No walks is huge! Staff has given up 1 run in last 18 innings. ...3 in the last 25 innings. That's outstanding.

Get to see freshman pitch tomorrow. Looking forward to that. CDH surprised me with this in his post game presser... Connor Thomas may be available tomorrow for "a couple" of innings & still be good to start on Tuesday. I figured he'd be rolled into weekend starter status. Perhaps a Tuesday start doesn't eliminate that possibility... but that seems like a lot to me.
Very interesting on Thomas. Like you, I’d much rather have him for next Saturday.

I think we got a little help on that Guldberg HR—he crushed it, but sure appeared to be foul by 4-8 feet. We will take it! What a great way to end your first collegiate AB!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
-Foul out to 1B (5th inn)

In my continuing attempt to remain "relatively" positive, ECU got 11 hits last night and only ended up with 2 runs. UNC only lost to ECU though, 2-1. So it could be worse. https://d1baseball.com/roundup/d1-digest-friday-feb-23/

Also, and I don't know how to be positive about this really. Overall, the ACC sucks this year so far. 54-28 as of last night. Special Ed Conference is 63-13. Ouch. We'll see the carnage when the RPIs come out in mid-March.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
In my continuing attempt to remain "relatively" positive, ECU got 11 hits last night and only ended up with 2 runs. UNC lost to ECU though, 2-1. So it could be worse. https://d1baseball.com/roundup/d1-digest-friday-feb-23/

Also, and I don't know how to be positive about this really. Overall, the ACC sucks this year so far. 54-28 as of last night. Special Ed Conference is 63-13. Ouch. We'll see the carnage when the RPIs come out in mid-March.
Doesn't help the conference RPI, but a lot of those loses have been low scoring games (like the 2-1 loss you cited), so it may mean the offenses are weak but the pitching doesn't seem bad. Few ACC teams had the pitching melt-downs GT saw last weekend.

My suspicion is when conference play rolls around that we will still have a ton of stiff competition. Especially in scoring, as I am not yet convinced about our own offense.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.....My suspicion is when conference play rolls around that we will still have a ton of stiff competition. Especially in scoring, as I am not yet convinced about our own offense.

It may be considered "stiff" competition by us, but it won't be by the RPI value we get for wins. Unless of course we beat Clemson or FSU (Not playing Louisville regular season).

I'm not convinced of anything. Pitching consistency, hitting consistency or defensive consistency. But a sweep of a double header today would feel good. All we can do is win the games one at a time and not have 4-5 error games, throw hard to hit strikes and hit when the opportunity to score is there. That's all we need to do.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
In my continuing attempt to remain "relatively" positive, ECU got 11 hits last night and only ended up with 2 runs. UNC lost to ECU though, 2-1. So it could be worse. https://d1baseball.com/roundup/d1-digest-friday-feb-23/

This website already has the RPI's up and running. They are pretty worthless with so few games played so far. We dropped 74 spots after the win yesterday. UVA dropped 151 with their loss to EKU yesterday. No reason to think the ACC is suddenly ordinary...we'll see.

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2018/rpi-live

Tech's next win will the #1200 for Coach Hall (career). At that point, he'll be 8 shy of 1000 at Ga Tech. Significant milestones for him.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This website already has the RPI's up and running. They are pretty worthless with so few games played so far. We dropped 74 spots after the win yesterday. UVA dropped 151 with their loss to EKU yesterday. No reason to think the ACC is suddenly ordinary...we'll see.

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2018/rpi-live

Tech's next win will the #1200 for Coach Hall (career). At that point, he'll be 8 shy of 1000 at Ga Tech. Significant milestones for him.

I had another typo. ACC isn't 54-28. We're 44-28. So yes, the ACC is ordinary so far this year -- unless one defines ordinary as the median of 298 teams. That would be a real lowering of standards given all the advantages the ACC / GT has over most of the other teams.

The RPI is worthless now as you point out, it'll get more accurate as the season goes on. And even then, there are endless arguments about how good the RPI is. But it's what is used, so like Hall's tenure; it is as it is. Hope he gets to 1000 GT wins quick!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
After facing 5 batters in the 1st, Hurter has adjusted his ERA from "infinity"... to a much more reasonable 9.00. Good start... threw a bunch of strikes.
Hurter gives up 2 in the second, but I can live with that as he limited the damage. Very nearly got out of it after letting the first two guys on. He is filling up the zone though.