Darren Waller

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I always thought Bay Bay was going to be a top 5 WR. Maybe it was my gold colored glasses.
Demarius Thomas is. A top 5 receiver. Maybe, probably, top 3. He has not been BayBay or Bey Bey, depending, since he was drafted. (Though I still wonder what kind of numbers Johnson would put up with Payton Manning. Talk about video games.)

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
You guys are crazy saying Smelter is better than Roddy, who will at the very least be a Falcon HOF, and now better than Julio?

I would take a healthy Smelter over a healthy Roddy right now and I don't think it's crazy. Roddy 5 years ago, that's a tougher call and I'd probably go with Roddy. The fact that he will be a Falcon HOFer doesn't matter.

At 33, Roddy is old by NFL standards and he's not the same player he was before. I think him and Smelter are similar players in style. Neither has top end speed, both good route runners and great on third downs. Smelter is ~10 years younger, 2"-3" taller, 10-15lbs heavier and a lot more physical than Roddy. He is also more of a team guy and willing blocker.

Because we (well at least I) said we (I) would take Smelter over Roddy doesn't necessarily mean we (I) think he will have a better career. A lot of things have to go right to have the career Roddy has had. Obviously talent is huge, but staying healthy, having a good qb, among other things are vital.

Lastly, money is a huge factor too. I don't know what Roddy's contract looks like but I know Smelter would be cheaper and think he would be more productive at this point in both of their careers, especially with Julio drawing double teams. This is all JMO, but I don't think it's crazy by any stretch of the imagination.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Only true GT fans call Demaryius BeyBey (or BayBay). If you called him that to his face, he'd probably say, "You've been a fan from my GT days?!!"

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I would take a healthy Smelter over a healthy Roddy right now and I don't think it's crazy. Roddy 5 years ago, that's a tougher call and I'd probably go with Roddy. The fact that he will be a Falcon HOFer doesn't matter.

At 33, Roddy is old by NFL standards and he's not the same player he was before. I think him and Smelter are similar players in style. Neither has top end speed, both good route runners and great on third downs. Smelter is ~10 years younger, 2"-3" taller, 10-15lbs heavier and a lot more physical than Roddy. He is also more of a team guy and willing blocker.

Because we (well at least I) said we (I) would take Smelter over Roddy doesn't necessarily mean we (I) think he will have a better career. A lot of things have to go right to have the career Roddy has had. Obviously talent is huge, but staying healthy, having a good qb, among other things are vital.

Lastly, money is a huge factor too. I don't know what Roddy's contract looks like but I know Smelter would be cheaper and think he would be more productive at this point in both of their careers, especially with Julio drawing double teams. This is all JMO, but I don't think it's crazy by any stretch of the imagination.

No way. Roddy is definitely on the downside of his career but his knowledge of route running and getting open in the NFL is something that Smelter will have to learn. Do I think he has the ability? Yes, I do. And given the right system and the quarterback, he may well end up having an outstanding pro career. But there's no way he is a better pro receiver right now than Roddy. And he's not even in the same stratosphere as Julio.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
No way. Roddy is definitely on the downside of his career but his knowledge of route running and getting open in the NFL is something that Smelter will have to learn. Do I think he has the ability? Yes, I do. And given the right system and the quarterback, he may well end up having an outstanding pro career. But there's no way he is a better pro receiver right now than Roddy. And he's not even in the same stratosphere as Julio.

I didn't really say Smelter was a better pro receiver right now, I said I would take him over Roddy. There is a little bias, but money plays a big factor as well. Devin Street was a 5th round pick by the Cowboys last year, 31st WR taken and 146th overall. From what I've seen Smelter is projected to go no higher than this. The cap hit for a guy in that range only around ~$500,000. The cap hit for Roddy is 10 times that. Do you think Roddy is 10 times better than Smelter? Roddy may be and most likely is better than Smelter right now, but look how much better he got in just one year. Imagine what he will be able to do focusing solely on football, with the best coaching possible. Like I mentioned before, Roddy is on the backend of his career and his production has declined. Julio is a top 5 WR in the league. IMO plugging in Smelter will not hurt the offense one bit and he would be a lot cheaper and most likely be around a lot longer.