Darren Waller

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
One of the scouts at the combine, I believe, pretty much dismissed Waller's blocking ability as kind of getting in front of and screening or some such. Whatever, not highly rated.

I don't think he's really wrong with that assessment. However, I believe Waller will play TE in the NFL, but won't be asked to block much (kind of like Tony Gonzalez).

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he's really wrong with that assessment. However, I believe Waller will play TE in the NFL, but won't be asked to block much (kind of like Tony Gonzalez).
Can we assume that if and when he lands with a team there will be an intense strength and weight program to bulk him up? One of the surprising things about MSU was a kind of effete tackling in its secondary when Waller could have been hung out to dry ... and in the NFL, he will be.

If he's going to be a every down player in the NFL(TE). He needs to start eating! I would like to see him around 250-265 range. This guy has a chance but there again , it all comes down to working hard! The same goes to the Youngsters coming in this summer.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Seen somewhere that he was only 1 of 2 receivers at the combine without a drop of "catchable"balls during the season 26/26 if im not mistaken.

Gil Brandt tweeted that out, but that and $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Imo Waller was a late bloomer. His off field issues also hampered his development and opportunities. He doesn't have Calvin's or Bebe's hands but he can catch and make plays. Probably would have had some great numbers his senior year if Smelter had not arrived on scene for us. He will make plays at the next level I think. Not to the degree of CJ or DT certainly, but will find more success than S. Hill imo.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Among SI's 5 draft sleepers (along with UGA's WR).

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/27/2015-nfl-draft-sleepers

Darren Waller, WR, Georgia Tech
Waller played receiver in an option offense, so that goes a long way toward explaining why he had only 971 receiving yards in three seasons. Waller also spent some time in coach Paul Johnson’s doghouse, getting suspended for the 2013 season opener and the first two games of the ‘14 season.

When DeAndre Smelter missed the 2014 ACC championship game and the Orange Bowl and Waller had to be the Yellow Jackets’ top pass-catching threat, he came through. In those two games, Waller caught 10 passes for 187 yards and two touchdowns. (Georgia Tech attempted 26 total passes in those two games.)

Add those performances against two good defenses (Florida State and Mississippi State) to the measurables, and Waller suddenly becomes very interesting. He’s 6’6” and 238 pounds with a 4.46-second 40 and a 37-inch vertical jump.

Forget the comparisons to fellow former Yellow Jacket Demaryius Thomas—who signed to play in Chan Gailey’s pro-style offense and wound up playing two seasons in Johnson’s offense. Thomas ran a half-second faster at the combine, but he was three inches shorter and 15 pounds lighter. Waller is 22 pounds lighter than Jimmy Graham was when he came out of Miami, but Waller ran a tenth of a second faster than Graham at the combine.

Does that mean Waller will be as good as Graham? Absolutely not. It means he has similar tools and is about as raw as the four-year college basketball player Graham was when he reached the NFL. Waller will determine where the comparison goes from here.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Among SI's 5 draft sleepers (along with UGA's WR).

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/27/2015-nfl-draft-sleepers
I'll never understand what the relevance is to what system Thomas committed is. It seems like such an unnecessary, pointless fact that offers no differentiation between the two. I think Thomas was faster (though not a half second, because that would be a record) and more physical, but Waller is a good player who can offer an NFL franchise advantages if deployed properly. The system they played in might be a little valuable, but the system they committed to is not.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll never understand what the relevance is to what system Thomas committed is. It seems like such an unnecessary, pointless fact that offers no differentiation between the two. I think Thomas was faster (though not a half second, because that would be a record) and more physical, but Waller is a good player who can offer an NFL franchise advantages if deployed properly. The system they played in might be a little valuable, but the system they committed to is not.
I think the point was that he had two years in a pro-style offense and he was .05 faster. It is funny that they give D. Thomas credit for his time with Gailey now, because they sure put him down prior to being drafted coming from a triple option team. We all can twist facts to make our point.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
What is really funny is that BayBay did not run at the Combine. He broke his foot training before the combine and was unable to participate.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I doubt Waller runs as fast as Thomas, who is almost as fast as Calvin Johnson with one outstanding difference: Thomas and Waller glide. Thomas runs angry. Really angry.