Darren Waller

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't think how he did in the receiving drills will make much difference overall. Whoever drafts him - and I think he will be drafted - knows that Waller has some work to do on short routes; we don't throw them much. Oth, I think any NFL scout would look at him and see that this probably won't continue as a problem, what ever position he ends up in.

I also wasn't surprised by his 40 times. Coach always said he had the physical tools and anyone can look at the game films and see that he has a good turn of speed, especially for his size. Now it's up to the coaches.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Waller has to decide he wants to play on every down. That was his problem at Tech for quite a while. Great at times, but would drop easy balls at others. He certainly has the physical tools.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Could u imagine him being a db where he played in high school real freaky athlete

He has said before he prefers playing defense over offense (played DB in HS), but WR was where the coaches thought he could make the best impact and where his future was. It seems they were correct.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
That is an exceptional 40 yard time for somebody with his measurables. Too bad they don't have the receivers doing any blocking drills as Waller would put everyone to shame.

BTW, everyone including receivers have to block when not running a passing route even in the NFL. It's called being a complete player.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
........BTW, everyone including receivers have to block when not running a passing route even in the NFL. It's called being a complete player.

In theory that's right. Most WRs I saw playing this year couldn't/didn't block at all. If you had a team where all of the backs and WRs blocked, that would be a great team ......

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That is an exceptional 40 yard time for somebody with his measurables. Too bad they don't have the receivers doing any blocking drills as Waller would put everyone to shame.

BTW, everyone including receivers have to block when not running a passing route even in the NFL. It's called being a complete player.
One of the scouts at the combine, I believe, pretty much dismissed Waller's blocking ability as kind of getting in front of and screening or some such. Whatever, not highly rated.