Danny Borrell our new pitching coach

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow, like the interviews. Especially the discussion about Hughes, Roedig and Archer.
Agree. A lot of good nuggets in there. Such a "weird" feeling... not sure that's the correct word. Just speaking for me.... from far far away ... I think its just a weird feeling thinking there is above average competence at all coaching positions at one time.

I can't wait for the season to begin to see what happens.

TheWhiteKenyan

Jolly Good Fellow
Figured some of y'all might be interested in this. GT Athletics is hosting a hackathon next weekend so I decided to throw together a team of friends to participate. They gave a list of 6 challenges for teams to pick from to tackle during the 24 hour hackathon and the one my team has decided to pursue is the following:

GT Baseball Analytics
: GT’s new pitching coach, Danny Borrell, just came to Tech after 11 years in the Yankees farm system, including the past five as its pitching coordinator. Recent AJC article on how applying camera and radar pitch tracking technology & analytics: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...rell-master-craftsman/T7LGVci35fNBUBExa6P4aK/ Coach Borrell is building a baseball lab which collects an array of player data for analysis. He wants you to build a TRAP – Test Research & Analytics Platform. Samples of future data and sources will be provided for version 1.0. Coach and staff will visit the Hack (~6pm) after their game Saturday against Ohio State Buckeyes to share ideas and concepts. Future engagement with GT baseball to winner for longer term highly likely.

Should be exciting to get to see some data and hopefully build something that GT Baseball and DBO can use in the future!

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how I feel about all of this technology in baseball. I'm an old school guy. Nolan Ryan is going to throw you a fastball. Try to hit it. If you've done anything to irritate him over your career, you may want to be ready to duck...

We'll see how all of this stuff impacts the game long term.

I'm a little late to the party in this coversation but we're already there. Analytics have been a part of baseball in some form for decades and there's a reason all the smart organizations have been wholeheartedly embracing them for years now. I don't have any inside info but I've felt that the baseball program here has been behind the times on that front for a while. I'm glad to see us finally catching up with the times.

A book came out this summer that's extremely relevant to this conversation called The MVP Machine focused on analytics and their use in player development. Goes into a solid amount of detail on what these 'pitch labs' are and touches on some other things as well. It's worth a read if anyone here has got the interest in the topic or the time.

Here's a couple excerpts.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Oh yeah! Be prepared for more interviews like this! #NerdBall

This is where I’ve always felt GT ignores our natural advantages. We’ve got the Engineers, we’re surrounded by cutting edge technology, we’ve got analytical capabilities rivaling the best institutions & businesses in the world yet we completely ignore sports analytics and the contributions it makes. GT is a perfect breeding ground and we should be at the forefront, but despite all our natural gifts we let Oregon, FSU, etc run right past us and we continue to fail to leverage our inherent technological advantages.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
This is where I’ve always felt GT ignores our natural advantages. We’ve got the Engineers, we’re surrounded by cutting edge technology, we’ve got analytical capabilities rivaling the best institutions & businesses in the world yet we completely ignore sports analytics and the contributions it makes. GT is a perfect breeding ground and we should be at the forefront, but despite all our natural gifts we let Oregon, FSU, etc run right past us and we continue to fail to leverage our inherent technological advantages.
I agree with this 100%.

I'm serious...this sounds like it ought to be in the body of an email to Todd and Angel. I'm going to send this to one of the only sports benefactors that I happen to know. :)

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
With DBo and the new Pitching/Hitting Lab (set to open before spring) we'll have just that. They also mentioned during our visit how they're coordinating with the Data Science department/students to help crunch numbers. What a cool experience.
Also was cool when Sam Crawford shared his R script for randomized BullPen pitch calls earlier this year to simulate a live game. Good stuff.

Definitely #NerdBall. Definitely a draw for the program and benefit to being at GT!!

LibertyTurns

Banned
I agree with this 100%.

I'm serious...this sounds like it ought to be in the body of an email to Todd and Angel. I'm going to send this to one of the only sports benefactors that I happen to know. :)
Thanks.

I’ve talked to Clough twice, Peterson four times, Sasquatch once, etc. To be fair to Stansbury and Cabrera I’m emailed them a long time ago but never talked to either in any kind of setting. I recall Stansbury mentioning some emphasis on this, don’t remember anything from Cabrera. Just have not had the opportunity to discuss with either but if I ever have the chance they’ll get it from me too.