1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Danny Borrell our new pitching coach

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Baseball' started by Stinger90, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Stinger90

Stinger90 Helluva Engineer

He was the Yankees Minor League Pitching Coordinator and is very versed in ACC baseball. He seem to be very high in our searching list and should be a good hire.

bigtechfan67, CTJacket, tkh74 and 6 others like this.
  2. NW GA JACKET

NW GA JACKET Ramblin' Wreck

Wow. Now a 2nd round draft pick as pitching coach, that played 8 years in the minors, and was working for the yanks as a coordinator. That’s a pretty impressive resume, hopefully it translates to a successful member of what is becoming a very good looking staff. GO JACKETS

3. GT Bravo

GT Bravo Ramblin' Wreck

I like it! Read the lengthy article linked at baseball.com

CTJacket and lauraee like this.
  4. GTRambler

GTRambler Helluva Engineer

Could not find on baseball.com.

Could you please provide the correct link?

5. GT Bravo

GT Bravo Ramblin' Wreck

beesball.com

Sorry!

6. FredJacket

FredJacket Helluva Engineer

Frankly, I have no idea if this is good or not. No matter who was hired. Who the best college pitching coaches may be is not in my aperture.

That said.... I do wonder a few things.
    1) Did TStan get involved to extent the pool of candidates included higher caliber options than previous iterations of pitching coach hires? (ie. salary budget higher) This just feels like that.
    2) Does Coach Ramsey (recent pro experience) have any prior relationship (professionally) with Coach Borrell?

Glad we have it filled. Because of #1 above... I'm excited this is an upgrade & our young pitchers will benefit... which means the team is better.

CTJacket, GTNavyNuke and augustabuzz like this.
  7. ScGold

ScGold Ramblin' Wreck

Question for Fred, do you think it will help with recruiting better pitchers or higher profile pitchers along the lines of Vandy.

augustabuzz and FredJacket like this.
  8. JacketOff

JacketOff Ramblin' Wreck

There is nothing that would seem to connect Ramsey and Borrell together. Borrell has spent his entire professional career, both playing and coaching, with the Yankees, and Ramsey never played for the Yankees. This seems like a really big time hire. There are only 30 minor league pitching coordinators in the league (one for every organization, duh) and to hire a guy out of one of those finite positions and a big time organization is pretty impressive.

I would imagine he will bring a lot more analytics to the table than Howell did, and hopefully whatever he does can limit the appearance of the injury bug a little bit.

9. GTNavyNuke

GTNavyNuke Helluva Engineer Featured Member

10. FredJacket

I don't know what all competing factors are to get the elite pitching talent to GT. It will take time. But based on the resume, you have to logically believe it will help improve in that regard.

11. GTRambler

GTRambler Helluva Engineer

I agree the new hire has the potential to improve the recruiting and development of capable pitchers.

However, I believe the focus should be on recruiting good young pitchers whose arms have not been overused at the high school and traveling summer ball levels. This would help cut down on the number of arm injuries once they get on our college campus.

This would be easier said than done, though. It (the recruiting of young pitchers with durable arms) will remain a crap shoot.

12. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

If this works out positively, you have to give Hall credit for these last two coaching hires.

13. 65Jacket

65Jacket GT Athlete

I am thrilled with our baseball program. I am really looking forward to next season.

14. Squints

Squints Helluva Engineer

I. ****ing. Love. This. Hire.

FredJacket likes this.
  15. FredJacket

Has anyone seen any "official" announcement on this? Asking for a friend. :)

CTJacket likes this.
  16. Stinger90

I haven't seen any conformation on our Website or Twitter yet.

17. BuzzFan45

BuzzFan45 Georgia Tech Fan

Wasn't Maxwell drafted by the Yankees this year....

18. Stinger90

He was (Round 30).

19. CTJacket

CTJacket Helluva Engineer

Question for those in the know - do you think Tex helped with this (Yankee connection)? I think it's a distinct possibility.

I knew Hall (briefly, when he started, and not well since I was a student then) and I know he really has a competitive fire. It may have waned a bit somewhere in there, we've definitely had at least one AD who was absent, but I'm sure he wants to go out with at LEAST a CWS appearance. These changes since ADTS has come on board have only made me more sure of that.

FredJacket, 65Jacket and GTNavyNuke like this.
  20. senoiajacket

senoiajacket Helluva Engineer

Still no confirmation of this ....... ?

FredJacket likes this.