Danny Borrell our new pitching coach

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
We just got back from a bit of a college tour as a recruit.

I'll let you in from a recruit/parent perspective. (maybe this should be another thread and happy to discuss - with more colorful details in person).

DBo is in here so it's still on point regarding recruiting. :)

UNC was gorgeous. Nice ballpark, not the facilities of others we could come to find out, but campus is gorgeous and ball park and athletic dorms next door is a great draw. Chapel Hill is stunning. Great school. Expensive out of state. US & World Report High (#29) Great Coach Tenure. Facilites were a "meh". Great social media presence and coverage.
Duke was NOT good. We have high school fields in Texas better than their field. Durham is NOT a selling point. I know - I lived there for 3 years, when I worked at the Medical Center and it's gotten worse. Dusty Blake was a nice pitching Coach. Great school, horrific town. Nice program, small campus, Durham is not helping that program. The draw there is the degree and reputation of Duke. Their field didn't have a locker rooms?
UVA was very impressive. GORGEOUS ball park, great athletic center area with the soccer field, track stuff, basketball, and softball field right there. Impressive campus. Huge, 1700 acres. (GT is 400+) Brand spanking new Pitching Coach, didn't much of a chance to visit with him. Great and nice coaching stff with great tenure. Charlottesville, super cute, great tall trees, small population 45,000. Connecting flights in/out. Most expensive school in the ACC as an out of state recruit. Impressive school. Great education. US & World Report High (#28). 15 credit hours/semester, mandatory. Must graduate in 4 years. Freshman dorms 1 mile from baseball fields (makes for a long walk to/from daily). Guaranteed admission. Lots of arms, lots of lefties. Known to redshirt. Great social media presence and coverage.
GT. Gorgeous smaller campus (400+ acres). Good size school. Did well last year in ACC. Nice field getting nicer. Big League backdrop of the field. Smaller field, but the improvements coming with be extremely attractive to pitchers and other recruits. ATL city is a draw. Lots of options and extra curricular options for Pro teams. DBo is the man. His resume was why my son answered the phone. Conversations with him were better than other schools. You will see influx of talent swarming this way. Great school. Wonderful engineering and business schools. Wonderful education. Easy in/out with ATL airport!! US & World Report High (#29). You miss less school during Baseball season due to ATL airport and direct flights. More convenient campus. Freshman athlete dorms nicer upper class and closer to fields, easy to get around. Uber to the City and surrounding attractions. Not over recruited. Not as much pitching in previous classes. More opportunity. Better preparedness for Draft as Junior.
Notre Dame. Great name. Touchdown Jesus. Bottom tier ACC baseball team. Brand new coaching staff this past summer. Too risky. We passed.

Vandy. Love love love Corbin and Nashville. Wife and I might move there anyway. Seriously. Love Nashville. Great school, super small, small campus. Great tenure. Impressive program. Great history. Nice ballpark. Great location. Convenient campus. Over recruit, too many pitchers and they end up leaving. Not a lot of opportunity to play and contribute. Great social media presence and national coverage. Easier to see a SEC game.
Arkansas was ridiculous with all their facilities. Holy crap, but it's Arkansas, the only "pro" team in the state and it's a baseball school. Super nice campus. Really Pretty. Not known for education. Impressive 55,000 sq ft athletic academic center. Tuition is a joke with the TX-AR relationship and "scholarships" you can get with 3.5 GPA and higher. (cheaper to attend that Univ of Texas, even as an out of state athlete.) Was way nicer than we were expecting and athletic facilities are top notch. Great coach Tenure. Tons of players, not a lot of opportunity to play. Great social media presence and coverage. Easier to see a SEC game.
A&M. HUGE campus, 62,000 students. 5200 acres. It's ridiculous. Nice stadium and facilities. Athletes live close by, together. Tons of players not a lot of opportunity to play. They love their JuCo guys to back fill when they cut. Coaching staff on the bubble. Risky commit.
Texas. campus is same size at GT but has 52,000 students instead of 16K. Austin is in shambles. We live here - it sucks and it only getting worse with homeless (they literally bus them in) and traffic. Influx of Californians has ruined and over-populated and overpriced Austin. I've been here almost 20 years - can't wait to leave. (Daughter is a freshman in high school and we're out!) Coaching staff on the bubble. Not a pitching or pitching development school. Risky commit.
Stanford: Gorgeous. Crazy Pricey, but the endowment makes it as affordable as Arkansas. Academically intimidating. My son pulled out of consideration for their last arm spot between him and another kid. He has friends there (athletes and non athletes) and they all expressed how challenging it was. One was valedictorian from his high school and said he thought it was smart before he got there and others wondered if they sent acceptance letters to the wrong houses. It's that tough. Hard enough to be a full time baseball player and student, not worth the added stress. Incredible education, but takes a special kid to pull it off. Great social media presence and coverage.

DBo is cool as hell and a great guy to talk to. Love where he was and why he's here. See is vision and understand what he wants and where he wants to take GT Baseball. It's going to be awesome!
We had a blast with him and the coaches.

You guys have a lot going for you at GT, location, up and coming team, coaching staff, ATL, ATL Airport. School reputation.
There is a ton of talk amongst us out of state folks and recruits. TONS.
This place is going places and there is opportunity and unity here.
My son loved his visit and the coaching staff. Really liked the campus, more so that we both expected. Loves the big city and what it has to offer. I'm not taking away from what talent is already here, but you guys are going to see a big change in recruits and recruiting classes coming and committing here. You're going to get the draw you've been looking for.

My
upload_2019-11-15_14-54-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-15_14-53-57.png
    upload_2019-11-15_14-53-57.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 15

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVA was very impressive. ......... Known to redshirt. ........

GT
. Gorgeous smaller campus (400+ acres). .......Wonderful engineering and business schools. Wonderful education. .........Not as much pitching in previous classes. More opportunity. Better preparedness for Draft as Junior.

Stanford: Gorgeous. Crazy Pricey, but the endowment makes it as affordable as Arkansas. Academically intimidating. ...... Incredible education, but takes a special kid to pull it off. Great social media presence and coverage.

........ I'm not taking away from what talent is already here, but you guys are going to see a big change in recruits and recruiting classes coming and committing here. You're going to get the draw you've been looking for.

First, welcome to the board. Most of us (the few, the proud GT baseball fans) look for scraps of info. I've read your other posts and appreciate whatever you can post without causing contention on the team. The GT baseball media presence is minimal. We used to have a great announcer, Wiley Ballard who was a lot of fun to listen to. We'll see if he's back this year.

Concerning UVa and their red shirting. That strategy only makes sense for the player who develops late and is drafted in his 4th year. To go to your final year and be draft eligible is financially awful given the MLB business model. Both @FredJacket and I love UVa. I'm in Virginia and that is where my kids would have gone if they stayed in state (but went to GT and Kettering). They both are doing just fine.

GT education is very good and it is much harder to get in than it used to be. But once in, the graduation rate is high. I know you said that your son will go for sure to GT, but everyone has their price. If he is offered a $3M signing bonus, it would be hard to say no. But easy if it's only a few $100K. Most Top 100 players go to minors, an exception is Vandy who tends to keep their Top 100 players. The trade off here is less money for three years but a great development program and much better lifestyle than the minors being at GT. The plan for being drafted as a Jr is of course optimal. Go to MLB and come back to get the degree. We have lots of players who have done that (i.e. Calvin Johnson comes to mind).

Stanford has a great academic reputation but I thought there were easier majors there (not quite ND's Arts and Letters but similar.) Stanford's 6 year graduation rate is 95%. It is all what you son wants.

Given your position as a father of a team player, I agree you have to be careful in what you say. Most of us here aren't limited. Our recruiting has done much better lately, here's the average points per player, and class ranking by average points; I do think a lot of the improvement is due to Ramsey and Borrell.
2017 - 18th, 5.15 avg points per player
2018 - 18th, 5.00 avg points per player
2019 - 24th, 5.05 avg points per player (high overall class ranking of 4th due to size)
2020 - 14th, 7.08 avg points per player (2 top 100)
2021 - 8th, 8.30 avg points per player (3 top 100).

Of course, this will change as players commit and decommit or go to the draft. But the future is bright.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Welcome to GTSwarm! Glad you (and your son) are here!

By the way, so it doesn't throw you for a loop later, pone if the "inside jokes" here is that whenever anything goes bad (and I do mean *anything*) the joke on here is Fire Danny Hall. It has been said mostly in jest (although in a couple of really down years it was less in jest) and we mostly joke about it...you know...we only beat FSU by 3 runs....well then Fire Danny Hall!

You forgot:
Lucy and Charlie. Still applicable till it isn't.

I used to be on the Fire Danny Hall bandwagon till we got Ramsey. Too many years of underperforming our recruiting rankings, especially in the dismal development of pitchers. Last year mid-season, I had three wishes for the team: 1) a competent 3rd baseman, 2) new pitching coach and 3) new head coach. I've seen enough to think Danny Hall has adapted to changing times. So I got all three. Just hope that Borrell will be able to prevent game time overuse of pitchers. We have too many alternatives now which we didn't have 3 years ago. Remember having to start X Friday's? Great pitcher but thrown into the wolves too soon since he was the best alternative.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Thank you.
I'm pretty much an open book but will try to hold back what I can, where necessary. Please let me know if I'm oversharing, overstep, or at risk.
But I'm not sharing anything I wouldn't share directly with anyone, GT-related or not.
That's just how I roll.

I'm big big big into analytics (it's my job) so we researched the hell out of schools and programs and tracked programs by class, by offer count, pitchers, right vs left, ht, wt, speeds, etc.

Ask away, happy to share from a recruit or recruit parent perspective. PM or on a thread. Love to talk with other passionate folks about baseball and this program.

To follow up on your comment. Yes, he would actually pass on $3M out of HS. We know people and families that will go out of HS, if the chance was there and we know a lot who won't. We personally know too many players who went early and wished they didn't and told our boys as such. One was drafted 1st round out of HS and $4M signing and he wished he went to college. Took him 5 years to make it. That's a GRIND. He missed out on college, friends, girls, etc. It was good for the boys to hear from people directly about all this. We had an interesting discussion with DBo on this. The metrics just aren't there, in my research and discussions with others, roughly 50% chance as a pitcher drafted out of HS 75-80% as a pitcher drafted out of College to make it to the big leagues and to have a 4 year degree to fall back on. Easy decision. One of the pitchers from Auburn put it very well this year on why he didn't draft. "I'd rather come here and be a big leaguer than a pro ball player."

Additionally, going draft out of HS means a whole different path over the next 2 years, with way too much baseball, and we're going to skip that and Area Code (and some others) to focus on development, rest his arm, and be prepared to compete when he shows up. We both told the coaching staff this during his visit. The path is brighter, faster, and more lucrative to go through College than out of HS. No worries. He's coming to campus.
He's still got 2 years left of HS and time to be a kid. That is the plan and I wouldn't want to take that away from him to chase the draft.

Wasn't complaining about red shirting. Would guarantee a degree if you stuck it out and still get drafted. That isn't a bad ticket. It will be interesting to see what kind of class load they carry. 12 hr at GT vs 15 at Virginia. Virginia gets you a lot closer to a degree over those 3 years. He has the choice to come during summer and take 6hrs, but I would think they'd want them playing in Summer Leagues after Freshman year and that makes sense.

He really had a good time with all 4 coaches on his visit. They all did great. I think they still have a few offers left (compared to previous years numbers) to build up the team and you should see that recruiting class climb a bit as they do.

I also think with the improvements in pitching, speeds, efficiency and spin rates that DBo is posting is all great press for the program and truly hope it translates to the mound and plate next season.
That will draw in more and more pitchers. That pitching lab is going to be an amazing tool to have and to recruit with.
The fan experience improvements will be nice too and should also bear fruit on attendance and atmosphere. Exciting and exciting times. We're happy as hell to be here and part of it.
Is Russ Chandler as nice as other stadiums in the ACC, compared to some yes, to others no. But I think the improvements will lead more to believe and vote yes. I do think the Big City back drop is like no other and is a huge asset and makes up for size or niceties.

Another nice thing you guys have that other programs and states don't is the Hope Scholarship/Lottery Money, that allows the GA kids to get in and get spots and not take up much of the 11.7. That allows the coaches to go after some out of state talent.
You guys also have a lot of opportunity to showcase the school, campus, and program given all the Perfect Game and PBR events held in ATL.
The talent comes to town, y'all should grab on to them when you can.

UVA was awesome, their stadium, like Arkansas, so Impressive, but ridiculously expensive tuition for out of state. It was going to be over $130K in loans if the offer was the minimum 25%. That is painful as a parent.

The state of Texas is huge. You can fit 5 Georgias in the state. https://1023thebullfm.com/texas-size-map/ For a son that wanted to get out of that state and explore schools and programs elsewhere- we had to come East.
His local travel team doesn't get out of state much except for WWBA, so we had to get on someone who did. We were very fortunate to get on East Cobb Astros and Christian was very fortunate to pitch how he did across both WWBAs. It opened a lot of eyes and doors we didn't have earlier this summer. Next summer will be much lower key, especially since he's not going after the draft, including Area Code and others.

He just started basketball season this week and it's a definite nice and welcomed break from baseball for his arm. Baseball season picks back up in late January in Texas. Due to UIL, Christian isn't allowed to play until basketball stops 2/19/20, which is nice as it eats almost a month into the season for further arm rest. Happy to share dunking videos, if interested, but I don't want to be thought of as "Braggy Dad" haha. Very much looking forward to watching some games next season. Just need Uverse to carry ACCN or I'm switching to someone who does!

Happy to be here! Go Jackets!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thank you.
I'm pretty much an open book but will try to hold back what I can, where necessary. Please let me know if I'm oversharing, overstep, or at risk.
But I'm not sharing anything I wouldn't share directly with anyone, GT-related or not.
That's just how I roll.

I'm big big big into analytics (it's my job) so we researched the hell out of schools and programs and tracked programs by class, by offer count, pitchers, right vs left, ht, wt, speeds, etc.

Ask away, happy to share from a recruit or recruit parent perspective. PM or on a thread. Love to talk with other passionate folks about baseball and this program.

To follow up on your comment. Yes, he would actually pass on $3M out of HS. We know people and families that will go out of HS, if the chance was there and we know a lot who won't. We personally know too many players who went early and wished they didn't and told our boys as such. One was drafted 1st round out of HS and $4M signing and he wished he went to college. Took him 5 years to make it. That's a GRIND. He missed out on college, friends, girls, etc. It was good for the boys to hear from people directly about all this. We had an interesting discussion with DBo on this. The metrics just aren't there, in my research and discussions with others, roughly 50% chance as a pitcher drafted out of HS 75-80% as a pitcher drafted out of College to make it to the big leagues and to have a 4 year degree to fall back on. Easy decision. One of the pitchers from Auburn put it very well this year on why he didn't draft. "I'd rather come here and be a big leaguer than a pro ball player."

Additionally, going draft out of HS means a whole different path over the next 2 years, with way too much baseball, and we're going to skip that and Area Code (and some others) to focus on development, rest his arm, and be prepared to compete when he shows up. We both told the coaching staff this during his visit. The path is brighter, faster, and more lucrative to go through College than out of HS. No worries. He's coming to campus.
He's still got 2 years left of HS and time to be a kid. That is the plan and I wouldn't want to take that away from him to chase the draft.

Wasn't complaining about red shirting. Would guarantee a degree if you stuck it out and still get drafted. That isn't a bad ticket. It will be interesting to see what kind of class load they carry. 12 hr at GT vs 15 at Virginia. Virginia gets you a lot closer to a degree over those 3 years. He has the choice to come during summer and take 6hrs, but I would think they'd want them playing in Summer Leagues after Freshman year and that makes sense.

He really had a good time with all 4 coaches on his visit. They all did great. I think they still have a few offers left (compared to previous years numbers) to build up the team and you should see that recruiting class climb a bit as they do.

I also think with the improvements in pitching, speeds, efficiency and spin rates that DBo is posting is all great press for the program and truly hope it translates to the mound and plate next season.
That will draw in more and more pitchers. That pitching lab is going to be an amazing tool to have and to recruit with.
The fan experience improvements will be nice too and should also bear fruit on attendance and atmosphere. Exciting and exciting times. We're happy as hell to be here and part of it.
Is Russ Chandler as nice as other stadiums in the ACC, compared to some yes, to others no. But I think the improvements will lead more to believe and vote yes. I do think the Big City back drop is like no other and is a huge asset and makes up for size or niceties.

Another nice thing you guys have that other programs and states don't is the Hope Scholarship/Lottery Money, that allows the GA kids to get in and get spots and not take up much of the 11.7. That allows the coaches to go after some out of state talent.
You guys also have a lot of opportunity to showcase the school, campus, and program given all the Perfect Game and PBR events held in ATL.
The talent comes to town, y'all should grab on to them when you can.

UVA was awesome, their stadium, like Arkansas, so Impressive, but ridiculously expensive tuition for out of state. It was going to be over $130K in loans if the offer was the minimum 25%. That is painful as a parent.

The state of Texas is huge. You can fit 5 Georgias in the state. https://1023thebullfm.com/texas-size-map/ For a son that wanted to get out of that state and explore schools and programs elsewhere- we had to come East.
His local travel team doesn't get out of state much except for WWBA, so we had to get on someone who did. We were very fortunate to get on East Cobb Astros and Christian was very fortunate to pitch how he did across both WWBAs. It opened a lot of eyes and doors we didn't have earlier this summer. Next summer will be much lower key, especially since he's not going after the draft, including Area Code and others.

He just started basketball season this week and it's a definite nice and welcomed break from baseball for his arm. Baseball season picks back up in late January in Texas. Due to UIL, Christian isn't allowed to play until basketball stops 2/19/20, which is nice as it eats almost a month into the season for further arm rest. Happy to share dunking videos, if interested, but I don't want to be thought of as "Braggy Dad" haha. Very much looking forward to watching some games next season. Just need Uverse to carry ACCN or I'm switching to someone who does!

Happy to be here! Go Jackets!

Thanks for rationale. Y'all are playing the long game which I respect. The biggest risk is injuries which can be helped a lot by not over pitching. I would think Borrell using the spin rate and other stuff will be able to better predict when less pitching is appropriate. Wish you and your son the best.

Oh yeah, if you tell the scouts coming around your position, they won't waste they high draft pick. But you know that. It is one of the things that distorts the perception of the quality of a college player. If they don't play the game to get the highest offer, they don't get drafted as high. No problem when you're playing the long game.

I did the stats a few years ago and like 70-80% (I have a bad memory) of the Top 100 HS players went to the minors. Hopefully that is changing as keeping better players in college will make the college game better. That's the game that I follow the most.

I would guess your statistics are only for pitchers coming out of HS and college. The reason is that most drafted college players don't make the big leagues (again my memory). The statistics for pitchers make sense since pitchers take longer to fully mature and it's harder to gauge where they are going to be coming out of HS. A guy coming out of college is mostly what you are going to get. Plus a lot of the pitchers who do make it to the MLB have had and recovered from injuries.

Try Sling ($25 month with Orange package) for ACCN and ACCNX. Plus a lot more.

One question. What is the Borrell 2021 Pitching Lab of which you speak?

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
One question. What is the Borrell 2021 Pitching Lab of which you speak?

OMG, I hope you're sitting down.

Down the 3rd base side, past the dugout they'll be redoing the bullpen and pitching lab for GT. 3 Lanes, Rapsodo and multiple TVs for the guys and coaches, as well as live feeds of game.
There's more, but I don't want to give away too much.
Work begins after last pitch 2020 season. Scheduled to open 2021 season.

If you saw the 4D shots during the World Series or the 360 degree shots at the Oscars of the ladies in dresses, you'll get my point. I don't remember the number but something like 8-10 cameras/sensors that capture motion/angle/load etc when the actors wear sensors for CGI. Crazy impressive and will be THE BEST pitching lab in the country. Will give pitchers and the batters instant feedback and data presented near real time on the TV monitors...Major Bad ***! The data geeks and analytics guys will have a field day. Really a great feedback, coaching, and learning tool for everyone.
Going to be a MAJOR DRAW for players and pitchers.

Also they're improving spectator experience with a deck on top, 3rd floor. Going to be fun as hell! The drawings and architecture mock ups are impressive as hell!!

Motion-Capture-suit-and-corresponding-computer-image.png

Deleted member 2897

We just got back from a bit of a college tour as a recruit.

I'll let you in from a recruit/parent perspective. (maybe this should be another thread and happy to discuss - with more colorful details in person).

DBo is in here so it's still on point regarding recruiting. :)

UNC was gorgeous. Nice ballpark, not the facilities of others we could come to find out, but campus is gorgeous and ball park and athletic dorms next door is a great draw. Chapel Hill is stunning. Great school. Expensive out of state. US & World Report High (#29) Great Coach Tenure. Facilites were a "meh". Great social media presence and coverage.
Duke was NOT good. We have high school fields in Texas better than their field. Durham is NOT a selling point. I know - I lived there for 3 years, when I worked at the Medical Center and it's gotten worse. Dusty Blake was a nice pitching Coach. Great school, horrific town. Nice program, small campus, Durham is not helping that program. The draw there is the degree and reputation of Duke. Their field didn't have a locker rooms?
UVA was very impressive. GORGEOUS ball park, great athletic center area with the soccer field, track stuff, basketball, and softball field right there. Impressive campus. Huge, 1700 acres. (GT is 400+) Brand spanking new Pitching Coach, didn't much of a chance to visit with him. Great and nice coaching stff with great tenure. Charlottesville, super cute, great tall trees, small population 45,000. Connecting flights in/out. Most expensive school in the ACC as an out of state recruit. Impressive school. Great education. US & World Report High (#28). 15 credit hours/semester, mandatory. Must graduate in 4 years. Freshman dorms 1 mile from baseball fields (makes for a long walk to/from daily). Guaranteed admission. Lots of arms, lots of lefties. Known to redshirt. Great social media presence and coverage.
GT. Gorgeous smaller campus (400+ acres). Good size school. Did well last year in ACC. Nice field getting nicer. Big League backdrop of the field. Smaller field, but the improvements coming with be extremely attractive to pitchers and other recruits. ATL city is a draw. Lots of options and extra curricular options for Pro teams. DBo is the man. His resume was why my son answered the phone. Conversations with him were better than other schools. You will see influx of talent swarming this way. Great school. Wonderful engineering and business schools. Wonderful education. Easy in/out with ATL airport!! US & World Report High (#29). You miss less school during Baseball season due to ATL airport and direct flights. More convenient campus. Freshman athlete dorms nicer upper class and closer to fields, easy to get around. Uber to the City and surrounding attractions. Not over recruited. Not as much pitching in previous classes. More opportunity. Better preparedness for Draft as Junior.
Notre Dame. Great name. Touchdown Jesus. Bottom tier ACC baseball team. Brand new coaching staff this past summer. Too risky. We passed.

Vandy. Love love love Corbin and Nashville. Wife and I might move there anyway. Seriously. Love Nashville. Great school, super small, small campus. Great tenure. Impressive program. Great history. Nice ballpark. Great location. Convenient campus. Over recruit, too many pitchers and they end up leaving. Not a lot of opportunity to play and contribute. Great social media presence and national coverage. Easier to see a SEC game.
Arkansas was ridiculous with all their facilities. Holy crap, but it's Arkansas, the only "pro" team in the state and it's a baseball school. Super nice campus. Really Pretty. Not known for education. Impressive 55,000 sq ft athletic academic center. Tuition is a joke with the TX-AR relationship and "scholarships" you can get with 3.5 GPA and higher. (cheaper to attend that Univ of Texas, even as an out of state athlete.) Was way nicer than we were expecting and athletic facilities are top notch. Great coach Tenure. Tons of players, not a lot of opportunity to play. Great social media presence and coverage. Easier to see a SEC game.
A&M. HUGE campus, 62,000 students. 5200 acres. It's ridiculous. Nice stadium and facilities. Athletes live close by, together. Tons of players not a lot of opportunity to play. They love their JuCo guys to back fill when they cut. Coaching staff on the bubble. Risky commit.
Texas. campus is same size at GT but has 52,000 students instead of 16K. Austin is in shambles. We live here - it sucks and it only getting worse with homeless (they literally bus them in) and traffic. Influx of Californians has ruined and over-populated and overpriced Austin. I've been here almost 20 years - can't wait to leave. (Daughter is a freshman in high school and we're out!) Coaching staff on the bubble. Not a pitching or pitching development school. Risky commit.
Stanford: Gorgeous. Crazy Pricey, but the endowment makes it as affordable as Arkansas. Academically intimidating. My son pulled out of consideration for their last arm spot between him and another kid. He has friends there (athletes and non athletes) and they all expressed how challenging it was. One was valedictorian from his high school and said he thought it was smart before he got there and others wondered if they sent acceptance letters to the wrong houses. It's that tough. Hard enough to be a full time baseball player and student, not worth the added stress. Incredible education, but takes a special kid to pull it off. Great social media presence and coverage.

DBo is cool as hell and a great guy to talk to. Love where he was and why he's here. See is vision and understand what he wants and where he wants to take GT Baseball. It's going to be awesome!
We had a blast with him and the coaches.

You guys have a lot going for you at GT, location, up and coming team, coaching staff, ATL, ATL Airport. School reputation.
There is a ton of talk amongst us out of state folks and recruits. TONS.
This place is going places and there is opportunity and unity here.
My son loved his visit and the coaching staff. Really liked the campus, more so that we both expected. Loves the big city and what it has to offer. I'm not taking away from what talent is already here, but you guys are going to see a big change in recruits and recruiting classes coming and committing here. You're going to get the draw you've been looking for.

My
View attachment 7224

Somehow I missed this post. Thanks for all the time that you have spent putting into your post. I wish nothing but the best for you and your family through this process. What an amazing gift to be able to sift through some of the top schools actually in the world and pick and choose where you want to go.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys know what "pull downs" are? They're from Jaeger Long Toss Program.

1st Phase is Long toss with arch and effort back to prescribed or chosen distance.
Pull down's are the 2nd phase when they're throwing back to the person catching with less angle and more momentum, pitching effort.

We do these, but I we have to stage balls in buckets as I can't throw as far as Christian can. LOL. I'm also a lot more sore than he is.
I also have to catch him in a catcher's glove and rejoice when the team catcher is available and throws with him.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Free article from D1 about how the MLB is trying to get college pitching coaches to come work for them. Not going well. The opposite of what Borrell did. Glad we got him!! Summary:

"College baseball has its advantages for many coaches. There’s more job security in most instances, the in-season life isn’t near as rigorous, and many of these coaches have lucrative financial deals in place. Saarloos is the highest paid pitching coach by a significant margin, Vanderbilt’s Scott Brown and LSU’s Alan Dunn make well north of $300K, Hobbs can get to $300K with incentives, and Yeskie left Oregon State for Arizona for a $60K pay increase, taking his overall salary to around $300K. Kenny, too, has a restructured deal with a salary more than $220K and with a three-year deal in place. In many cases, those salaries, outside of Hobbs, do not include sizable bonus structures. Fetter undoubtedly will get a well-deserved boost after the season the Wolverines had combined with the opportunities that have come his way this summer, too.

There’s no doubt pro organizations, in most cases, have a treasure chest of money to offer pitching coaches at the college level. But for now, they either haven’t done so, or the coaches have turned down opportunities. There could be a point in time soon when pro organizations decide to overpay in order to entice coaches to leave the college game. But that time – yet – hasn’t arrived.

College baseball hopes that trend continues. It’s a good place to be."

https://d1baseball.com/columns/pro-organizations-making-college-pitching-coaches-top-priority/

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Yep, but you get to a point in life when it isn't about the money and more about the quality of life - number of nights in your own bed, eating dinner & breakfast with your family and making family/kid events that is more important and satisfying and better for one's health. Those in the know and the higher ups in College know how good they have it and throwing money at it won't deter the good ones, they see a higher value and purpose than "cashing checks" and earning double platinum and diamond status with the airlines and hotels.... We got a great one!!

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I talked with him earlier in the week and he had 4-5 of these set up. Lots of action at the ABCA convention in Nashville, earlier this month.
over 7500 coaches in attendance.
He was a busy & popular man.

Good insights on him and why.... Awesome dude!

Last edited:

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
All that technology he mentions in the podcast....Yep, it's going in the pitching and video lab at GT!!

I can't imagine the stress of that pitching coordinator job that he walks through. Yikes.

Happy he's slowing down and that he and his family are enjoying it at GT!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Haven't listened to entire podcast... but cool stuff.

Listened to the whole thing, thanks. Interesting discussion about learning the college scholarships, getting 10-15 contacts a day from kids interested in coming to GT. He checks out kids and their pitching with his toys before offering.

Was hoping there was some discussion about what he'll do in game with calling pitches and putting in relievers in the game. I'm really looking forward to his contribution there.