Damon Stoudamire

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Really weird rundown here from Justin D Young who's a guy tuned into the HS/AAU scene ...

- Basically talks himself into and out of and back into liking the hire.
- Seemed sure the hire would've been Abdur Rahim. Honestly seems upset it wasn't.
- Says the usual 'he better hire a Georgia guy' who knows the scene. Then the other guy says thats bunk because there aren't many GA guys that are ACC level.... but you have places like IND, AUB, FSU, etc that take all the high level kids so ... (Me talking: huh? You just said there weren't any high level kids. See, i told yall it was weird.)
- Young says the usual 'to succeed in ATL you gotta be relevant'. In Hewitt years, you saw celebs and stars in the stands which helped elevate GT profile. Then convinces himself he likes the hire because stoudamire can bring some of that (smh).
- Again reiterates he needs to hire a GA guy .. then names all the GA guys he should hire ... which are probably the guys telling him he needs to hire a GA guy (follow?).
- Then the other guy says nah, they need to focus on recruiting nationally so hiring a GA guy is irrelevant. Then Young agrees and runs down the national recruits we've had (this is exhausting).
- All in all, they spoke highly of the hire, in general.

Kind of sounded like he was saying others were claiming the importance of hiring a GA guy for the HC gig, and his opinion is that it's not that important. Otherwise agree with your summary.

One additional nugget I found interesting. He said Damon attended the GT @ BC game earlier this year. AND he "was in Atlanta for a number of games".

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If you aren't implying that his physical appearance will intimidate the refs and thereby influence their calls, what exactly are you saying?
Appearance (height, attractiveness, body profile) makes a difference in people’s careers and influence all the time. It’s because of subconscious respect, not physical fear.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Kind of sounded like he was saying others were claiming the importance of hiring a GA guy for the HC gig, and his opinion is that it's not that important. Otherwise agree with your summary.

One additional nugget I found interesting. He said Damon attended the GT @ BC game earlier this year. AND he "was in Atlanta for a number of games".

All due respeck, he was doing that thing people do when they say something "other people say" but that they actually agree with. The other guy shoots it down, then he hopped on that bandwagon. That's my read and I'm sticking to it.

Agree on the BC game comment. That was a nice nugfet I missed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As @kg01 said, pacific is a bad job. I am on the fence with this hire as there are so many good options available unless they all said no. I am more comfortable with it than I was initially but I am a bit skeptical.
Everyone respects your basketball knowledge on here. So, here’s some questions:

Who was your top choice and why?

What are pros and cons of your top choice versus who we got?

What is one thing you might be completely wrong about in assessing our coach?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I think refs do give some deference to coaches on the level of Coach K, Dean Smith, etc. I'm not saying all of them, but it's gotta play a factor on whether that whistle is blown or not.

Can you imagine how intimidating it must be for a young ref to get chewed out from the bench or during a timeout by men who were living legends in close games with noisy crowds at Cameron Indoor or Carmichael, etc. backing them up?

I'd like to see Alexander Memorial Coliseum 😉 become a venue that other teams dread entering once again.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Everyone respects your basketball knowledge on here.....

Friends Tv Lol GIF by Nick At Nite

Not sure which word is wrong? "Everyone" or "respects".

Cmon laugh, peac. You know it was funny.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm telling you that no ACC ref was ever concerned that Dean, K or Roy was going to physically assault them. Your comment implied that refs would give us calls because CDS looks like a bada**. I'm just saying you can't seriously think the refs are concerned about getting their a**es kicked. If that was the criteria, how do you explain Boeheim, Laranaga, K, Roy, Bennett, Mike Young, et al consistently winning? None of them look like they could harm a fly
I get your point, but Mike Young looks pretty intimidating. Maybe not physically, but he always looks like he wants to beat the **** out of everyone in attendance and watching on tv, and he looks like he is a split second from going postal. I’m sure he’s a great guy, but dude just always looks mad 😡

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
2019-2020
  • Head Coach. Damon Stoudamire.
  • Associate Head Coach. Leonard Perry.
  • Assistant Coach. Luke Wicks.
  • Assistant Coach. JayDee Luster.
2020-2021
  • Damon Stoudamire. Head Coach.
  • Leonard Perry. Associate Head Coach.
  • Luke Wicks. Assistant Coach.
  • JayDee Luster. Assistant Coach.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
And he (or she) is simply another Georgia Tech fan (I assume) posting their opinion. Or the first thing that comes to their mind at the moment.

I've been there where I thought of posting something, but then said, yeah not posting that. Or I've been drunk enough at times to where my question the next morning is "WTF did I post last night, if anything???"

My point being, we're all GT fans on here. We want to see all of our athletes, coaches, and teams succeed and do well. I believe we should treat them, as well as each other, with respect.

I don't want to see this site become another Stingtalk, I followed that site for a few years before I found this one. I prefer this one.

Rant over. Let's Go Jackets!
It wasn't spur of the moment. He posted the same thing on the Hive earlier and came back hard at every logical explanation. Didn't get the desired response so come over here and try again. I hope he does not try that crap on this board. Just my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
He’s 5’10”. He’s got to have the look for intimidation.
5'10" outside of sports would be plenty tall to not get a height penalty, respect-wise, but I honestly have no idea how tall the average ref or coach is. Seems like he's taller than Gregory and shorter than Pastner, per Google, but he's got the badass-looking factor going strong in that pic!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Everyone respects your basketball knowledge on here. So, here’s some questions:

Who was your top choice and why?

What are pros and cons of your top choice versus who we got?

What is one thing you might be completely wrong about in assessing our coach?
Top choice would have been Beard

Top realistic choice would have been Kelsey.

Beard Pros: He’s won everywhere he’s coached
Beard Cons: Off the court stuff I’m not willing to put on a message board, hearsay.

CDS Pros: love the name, love the pro career, love the respect he receives in NBA circles.
CDS Cons: I don’t know if he can coach. We agree pacific is a tough job, he went 71-79. Well, Georgia Tech is a tough job as well.

I think being a POC will lead to a better relationship with local players (meaning people of influence) which should lead to landing better players (actual BB players) which should lead to winning and hopefully see an increase in our competitive involvement in regards to NIL.