Damon Stoudamire

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Friends Tv Lol GIF by Nick At Nite

Not sure which word is wrong? "Everyone" or "respects".

Cmon laugh, peac. You know it was funny.
It was shocking to wake up to, that’s for sure

slugboy

Staff member
23 hours ago, the AJC was publishing “6 candidates to look at”. 14 hours ago, Ken Suguira was publishing the article I’m linking below (plus Bradley’s take). Even though Cabrera and Batt were talking to Staudamire this weekend, it looks like most of the press were caught off-guard. ESPN seems to have the best history on this, and mainly they were reporting as they were hearing. Unlike the Key hire, this was fast.

Damon Stoudamire hired as Georgia Tech’s next head coach

For more great content like this subscribe to the AJC ePaper app here: https://myaccount.ajc.com/ajc/home

This was also shared (is it in this thread yet)?

19 hours ago, Ken reporting what Woj reported:

Staudamire seems to maintain relationships when he leaves, and he leaves on good terms:

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Top choice would have been Beard

Top realistic choice would have been Kelsey.

Beard Pros: He’s won everywhere he’s coached
Beard Cons: Off the court stuff I’m not willing to put on a message board, hearsay.

CDS Pros: love the name, love the pro career, love the respect he receives in NBA circles.
CDS Cons: I don’t know if he can coach. We agree pacific is a tough job, he went 71-79. Well, Georgia Tech is a tough job as well.

I think being a POC will lead to a better relationship with local players (meaning people of influence) which should lead to landing better players (actual BB players) which should lead to winning and hopefully see an increase in our competitive involvement in regards to NIL.
Thank you. Are these influencers that you speak of high school / AAU coaches?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

Beard Cons: Off the court stuff I’m not willing to put on a message board, hearsay.

CDS Pros: love the name, love the pro career, love the respect he receives in NBA circles.
CDS Cons: I don’t know if he can coach. We agree pacific is a tough job, he went 71-79. Well, Georgia Tech is a tough job as well.

I think being a POC will lead to a better relationship with local players (meaning people of influence) which should lead to landing better players (actual BB players) which should lead to winning and hopefully see an increase in our competitive involvement in regards to NIL.
To be clear with regards to Beard, a lot of what was reported about Beard came from an affidavit by the wife. That is not hearsay.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It goes without saying that hiring really good assistants are going to be incredibly important for CDS’s success in coaching. I feel like he is absolutely going to improve our recruiting in a big way, especially with improved NIL support- we are going to get NBA quality players playing here again soon!

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

A quick aside RE: Beard, more off the court stuff than the stuff that got him fired from UT?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To be clear with regards to Beard, a lot of what was reported about Beard came from an affidavit by the wife. That is not hearsay.
I liked Beard for the basketball stuff but felt his off court life made him toxic for GT. We are not going to jump off a cliff hoping the law of gravity will be repealed before we land.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

I think being a POC will lead to a better relationship with local players (meaning people of influence) which should lead tonding better players (actual BBYou l players) which should lead to winning and hopefully see an increase in our competitive involvement in regards to NIL.
You left off that his first 3 years at Pacific were on probation with limited scholarships. He won over 20 games in year 4 and tied with St. Mary's for 3rd place behind Gonzaga and BYU. Both of those were in the top 15.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Gotta like the message Cabrera is sending by flying out to Houston to meet up with Stoudamire. GT Athletics is important, and it's going to take the ENTIRE school's efforts to make it successful, not just the GTAA.
Cabrera isn’t a big sports fan either, but he knows how vital it is for the institution to have successful athletics. You love to see it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Cabrera isn’t a big sports fan either, but he knows how vital it is for the institution to have successful athletics. You love to see it.
Our athletic programs are the biggest link alums have to the institute once we get out. It helps fund raising when donors feel good about positive results. Successful programs also generate support from non-alums who enjoy sports.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

He's actually a huge sports fan. He attends a lot of games...especially the nonrevenue sports matches.
I’ve seen him at quite a few men’s basketball games. I think I remember him indicating during one of the football coach press conferences that he is a big sports fan, especially soccer.