Damon Stoudamire

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Gotta like the message Cabrera is sending by flying out to Houston to meet up with Stoudamire. GT Athletics is important, and it's going to take the ENTIRE school's efforts to make it successful, not just the GTAA.
I"d just assumed they flew out to Houston to pick him up and bring him back to Atlanta. It is nice to see President Cabrera there, though.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You left off that his first 3 years at Pacific were on probation with limited scholarships. He won over 20 games in year 4 and tied with St. Mary's for 3rd place behind Gonzaga and BYU. Both of those were in the top 15.
I mean, I never watched em. Last time I watched a Pacific game, Guillaume Yango was their big man. All I meant. Wasn’t slighting him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A few things gleaning the interwebs about Stoudamire:

1. Very well liked everywhere, and has good relationships with everyone. Being liked isn't a necessary trait for on the court results (see: Bobby Knight, Gregg Marshall), but it tells you the kind of person he is and the impact he has on people. That will help in building relationships in recruiting and keeping players in this age of the transfer portal and NIL. Put it this way, at all of his coaching stops, no one was happy to see him go. After going through the Brian Gregory and Josh Pastner hires, GT fans know about hiring guys who were probably on their way out at previous stops and fans thanking us for taking coaches off their hands.

2. No one questions his tactical acumen as a coach. In fact, it's one of the first things people talk about Stoudamire. There's a reason why Udoka wanted him to leave Pacific to join the Celtics, and why he was a candidate to take over the Celtics after Udoka was let go (for off the court indescretions). Also speaks to how highly he's thought of when he took the reigns for 2 games when the Celtics HC was out (Stoudamire went 2-0 as the interim HC). He is well known for his defensive X's and O's.

3. He can develop players. That was one of his primary jobs for the Celtics and Udoka. Player development is why he was able to turn around Pacific...and their fans raved about it. From interviews, he prides himself on player development. That's going to be an important piece at GT.

4. He will need to recruit at a high level at GT, and so far it seems people think he will do well recruiting for GT. You never know until it happens (remember seeing Pastner as a strong recruiter from Memphis and assistant for Calipari?).

slugboy

Staff member
For people in the thread, if you haven’t watched the presser, it’s worth watching.
Mighty Mouse should be able to relate to athletes and to NIL. That question comes up a lot.
What I haven’t seen so far is scheme.
Getting the assistants is critical.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
A few things gleaning the interwebs about Stoudamire:

1. Very well liked everywhere, and has good relationships with everyone. Being liked isn't a necessary trait for on the court results (see: Bobby Knight, Gregg Marshall), but it tells you the kind of person he is and the impact he has on people. That will help in building relationships in recruiting and keeping players in this age of the transfer portal and NIL. Put it this way, at all of his coaching stops, no one was happy to see him go. After going through the Brian Gregory and Josh Pastner hires, GT fans know about hiring guys who were probably on their way out at previous stops and fans thanking us for taking coaches off their hands.

2. No one questions his tactical acumen as a coach. In fact, it's one of the first things people talk about Stoudamire. There's a reason why Udoka wanted him to leave Pacific to join the Celtics, and why he was a candidate to take over the Celtics after Udoka was let go (for off the court indescretions). Also speaks to how highly he's thought of when he took the reigns for 2 games when the Celtics HC was out (Stoudamire went 2-0 as the interim HC). He is well known for his defensive X's and O's.

3. He can develop players. That was one of his primary jobs for the Celtics and Udoka. Player development is why he was able to turn around Pacific...and their fans raved about it. From interviews, he prides himself on player development. That's going to be an important piece at GT.

4. He will need to recruit at a high level at GT, and so far it seems people think he will do well recruiting for GT. You never know until it happens (remember seeing Pastner as a strong recruiter from Memphis and assistant for Calipari?).
I would say being well liked will help with NIL funding.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For people in the thread, if you haven’t watched the presser, it’s worth watching.
Mighty Mouse should be able to relate to athletes and to NIL. That question comes up a lot.

Sounds like what GT will get with respect to scheme is what you see in with the Celtics. He mentioned that conceptually he likes what the Celtics are doing, but part of that will also be based on personnel. Let's not forget, Stoudamire is responsible for some of what the Celtics run...especially on the defensive end.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
He specifically talked about spacing and sharing the ball being the key to the Celtics' success. Poor spacing was one of the key factors in this past season being lost, despite the February change in the offense showing that the team indeed had the talent to be decent.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pretty cool to heat the stuff on his godson, Sturdivant. Said, in particular, he wouldn't answer some of Kyle's calls. Presumably because he knew he was gonna complain. Said sometimes you gotta figure it out on your own and sometimes the culprit is in the mirror.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sounds like what GT will get with respect to scheme is what you see in with the Celtics. He mentioned that conceptually he likes what the Celtics are doing, but part of that will also be based on personnel. Let's not forget, Stoudamire is responsible for some of what the Celtics run...especially on the defensive end.

Said we'll be analytic-driven which, imeo, is code that we'll be spacing and taking 3s.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Said we'll be analytic-driven which, imeo, is code that we'll be spacing and taking 3s.

Miles Kelly and Lance Terry like the sound of that. Dallan Coleman and Freds could also be the beneficiary of that as well.

Sturdivant and Deivon Smith should be drooling Stoudamire emphasized that guard play is important. Of all of our guys on the roster, I think Smith stands a good chance of seeing the biggest leap in terms of development and leveraging his physical tools. If Stoudamire can fully develop Smith's potential, GT is a VERY dangerous team. Smith quite possibly is one of the most gifted athletes in college basketball, he just needs to find a way to maximize it to his advantage on the basketball court.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Miles Kelly and Lance Terry like the sound of that. Dallan Coleman and Freds could also be the beneficiary of that as well.

Sturdivant and Deivon Smith should be drooling Stoudamire emphasized that guard play is important. Of all of our guys on the roster, I think Smith stands a good chance of seeing the biggest leap in terms of development and leveraging his physical tools. If Stoudamire can fully develop Smith's potential, GT is a VERY dangerous team. Smith quite possibly is one of the most gifted athletes in college basketball, he just needs to find a way to maximize it to his advantage on the basketball court.
Agree. But desperately needs to find a post player in the portal.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
He's was probably referring to the start of Football Spring Practice in that particular tweet. ;)
Well...that's very different.

1678814812653.png