Damon Stoudamire

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Really weird rundown here from Justin D Young who's a guy tuned into the HS/AAU scene ...

- Basically talks himself into and out of and back into liking the hire.
- Seemed sure the hire would've been Abdur Rahim. Honestly seems upset it wasn't.
- Says the usual 'he better hire a Georgia guy' who knows the scene. Then the other guy says thats bunk because there aren't many GA guys that are ACC level.... but you have places like IND, AUB, FSU, etc that take all the high level kids so ... (Me talking: huh? You just said there weren't any high level kids. See, i told yall it was weird.)
- Young says the usual 'to succeed in ATL you gotta be relevant'. In Hewitt years, you saw celebs and stars in the stands which helped elevate GT profile. Then convinces himself he likes the hire because stoudamire can bring some of that (smh).
- Again reiterates he needs to hire a GA guy .. then names all the GA guys he should hire ... which are probably the guys telling him he needs to hire a GA guy (follow?).
- Then the other guy says nah, they need to focus on recruiting nationally so hiring a GA guy is irrelevant. Then Young agrees and runs down the national recruits we've had (this is exhausting).
- All in all, they spoke highly of the hire, in general.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Really weird rundown here from Justin D Young who's a guy tuned into the HS/AAU scene ...

- Seemed sure the hire would've been Abdur Rahim. Honestly seems upset it wasn't.
- Says the usual 'he better hire a Georgia guy' who knows the scene. Then the other guy says thats bunk because there aren't many GA guys that are ACC level.... but you have places like IND, AUB, FSU, etc that take all the high level kids so ... (Me talking: huh? You just said there weren't any high level kids. See, i told yall it was weird.)
- Young says the usual 'to succeed in ATL you gotta be relevant'. In Hewitt years, you saw celebs and stars in the stands which helped elevate GT profile. Then convinces himself he likes the hire because stoudamire can bring some of that (smh).
- Again reiterates he needs to hire a GA guy .. then names all the GA guys he should hire ... which are probably the guys telling him he needs to hire a GA guy (follow?).
- Then the other guy says nah, they need to focus on recruiting nationally so hiring a GA guy is irrelevant. Then Young agrees and runs down the national recruits we've had (this is exhausting).

Your narration is appreciated, glad I didn’t waste my time listening.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
This could either go really well (Jeff Capel at Pitt) or really poorly. (Danny Manning at Wake)

At first glance it seems like a good hire! Great job J Batt.
I wouldn't say Capel has done well at Pitt. They have been pretty bad for quite a while under Capel until they went out and bought a team through NIL this year.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow

1 - thanks for the rundown, no time to watch the video this afternoon
2 - hahahahaha - thanks for the laughs - great job!

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
He should be able to get players and in to the AAU teams/players. If we can fence off the State of GA and keep 2-3 players a year home, we should be Top 25 every year. He has a professional background as a player and as a coach and has been a coach in college. Is it a sure fire hire? No. But it is sort of out of the box and will make a splash. Likely a big enough name that most high school players will know him, or their parents will, which will get him in some doors that maybe we haven't been able to in the last 10 years. Not sure how it will go, but could be a huge home run or another Pastner/Juwan Howard/Capel (just ok). But this is likely what we have to do right not. A little out of the box thinking.

Hear Brad Stevens loves him. That's high praise and good enough for me. Let's give it a shot and see if we can get players. That's all it is now. Players. Not systems. $$$s and players.
The sportswriters in Boston are saying this is a big loss for the Celtics. They say he is the most valued assistant on the staff.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You seriously think an ACC ref is worried that a coach is going to come on the court and kick his *** over a foul call? This isn't NYO ball with some redneck parent raging in the stands.
You telling me rat faced rat got all those foul calls for 4 decades because dook gets fouled a lot more than anyone else? Really? Maybe I'm biased but GT gets a lot of fouls called on us compared to opposing teams & it hasn't all been because our players are prolific fouling machines. Last 3 GT coaches got no respect and we paid the price, more than a handful of times it cost us the game.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
You telling me rat faced rat got all those foul calls for 4 decades because dook gets fouled a lot more than anyone else?
I'm telling you that no ACC ref was ever concerned that Dean, K or Roy was going to physically assault them. Your comment implied that refs would give us calls because CDS looks like a bada**. I'm just saying you can't seriously think the refs are concerned about getting their a**es kicked. If that was the criteria, how do you explain Boeheim, Laranaga, K, Roy, Bennett, Mike Young, et al consistently winning? None of them look like they could harm a fly

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

That's the team spirit we are looking for from you!

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I'm telling you that no ACC ref was ever concerned that Dean, K or Roy was going to physically assault them. Your comment implied that refs would give us calls because CDS looks like a bada**. I'm just saying you can't seriously think the refs are concerned about getting their a**es kicked. If that was the criteria, how do you explain Boeheim, Laranaga, K, Roy, Bennett, Mike Young, et al consistently winning? None of them look like they could harm a fly
You brought up the physical assault BS not me. Go argue with yourself.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So we hire a guy with multiple criminal convictions. Seems like an appropriate followup to Pastner and his issues with Bell. Also seems like something an AD coming from Bama would be OK with.

Tech can no longer claim the high ground when it comes to athletics.

Then there is his losing record as a head coach that made him run back to the NBA....

This doesn't compare to the Oats hiring at Bama in anyway, shape or form.
Go back in your hole. Good lord. Do some research on pacific.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes I just don't understand people's motives. Does it make him feel good to be the guy to shart all over things? Like, is he high-fiving his buddies now? Who even remembers that?

And to present it as 'multiple criminal convictions' as if we're talking about Charles Manson or something? Geez, some people are just.. I don't even know what.

For anyone interested in the facts, during his stint as a POR trailblazer (02-03, yes literally 20 years ago), he was convicted of Marijuana possession and I believe had a DUI. Went through rehab and completed other court-ordered programs and has since been drama-free.

Not excusing the incidents, but at what point do we allow people to move on with their lives?
He is simply a turd posting that crap. Enough said.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
He is simply a turd posting that crap. Enough said.
And he (or she) is simply another Georgia Tech fan (I assume) posting their opinion. Or the first thing that comes to their mind at the moment.

I've been there where I thought of posting something, but then said, yeah not posting that. Or I've been drunk enough at times to where my question the next morning is "WTF did I post last night, if anything???"

My point being, we're all GT fans on here. We want to see all of our athletes, coaches, and teams succeed and do well. I believe we should treat them, as well as each other, with respect.

I don't want to see this site become another Stingtalk, I followed that site for a few years before I found this one. I prefer this one.

Rant over. Let's Go Jackets!

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
He looks like a bad *** in that picture. I have a feeling we're not going to be seeing many more foul stats like GT 20 dook 5 or worse we're beating a team by 20 but have double the fouls on us. Refs gonna think twice about screwing with him.
If you aren't implying that his physical appearance will intimidate the refs and thereby influence their calls, what exactly are you saying?