Dabo’s Thoughts

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
(No, I don't like the man. He's a fraud.)

I don't like him either. He is definitely NOT a journalist...not one shred of impartiality in his DNA. But, I grudgingly admire his capitalist approach which feeds his audience with what they want to hear and makes him a ton of $$$. And the SEC can kiss my a**!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
https://247sports.com/Article/Dabo-...ma-Crimson-Tide-Nick-Saban-Citadel-135738928/

Really smart people, this is not hard to understand. I’m embarrassed not for the loss but for this response from some of these “fans”.

"That’s college football," Swinney said. "I mean heck, The Citadel was probably Alabama’s toughest game last year until Georgia. I mean I’m just telling the truth. The Citadel beat South Carolina somewhere here in the not-too-long-ago (past). That’s not a shocker. Georgia State went over and beat Tennessee. I mean that’s college football. Anything can happen, especially early, especially early in the season. Because nobody knows anything about anybody at this point.”

The quoter was kind.

What Dabo actually said was, "in the not-too-long ago future."

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well. Finebaum showers with the home team, this being Alabama, and drinks SEC Koolaid by the 50-gallon drums. He is a guy who started out grudgingly admitting Clemson might, might, have been the better team with a 28-poind win and worked his way into Alabama actually had the better team but was worn out from SEC competition. Dabo shredded that alibi by pointing out Alabama won its games by a touchdown or so better than Clemson all year so with that Finebaum-provided yardstick, who had the tougher schedule? When an Alabama linebacker then said Georgia, whom they beat, actually was a better team, Finebaum smiled acknowledgement. When a Clemson LB responded by saying ND was tougher than Alabama, Finebaum went ballistic against a college sophomore. The SEC is overrated, and will be at the end of the season, but Finebaum will be right there, a one-man skirmish line for his beloved and over-hyped SEC. (No, I don't like the man. He's a fraud.)

He works for the SEC Network. What’s he supposed to say?

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched the Finebaum show when he made his comment. It was a special topic of the show called The Twilight Zone (they even filmed it in black and white) and all Finebaum did was share 3 news items that were “weird” having happened over the weekend. Tech’s loss was one of them. And what he said, paraphrasing was ... “Tech lost to the Citadel. Which is not really weird. Their program has been in the gutter the last 7 years.” Which is basically true. I mean ... we’re not a factor really.

.....”

Those are not equal things. Not a title contender != being in the gutter

Over the last 7 years, we've been bad, good and in-between. Only the 3-9 season would I consider 'in the gutter'

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Those are not equal things. Not a title contender != being in the gutter

Over the last 7 years, we've been bad, good and in-between. Only the 3-9 season would I consider 'in the gutter'

Are we that sensitive? We have a 54% win rate over the last seven years. Less if you focus on only P5.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Braun's tweet was on point BUT there are other points to the subject/conversation. They all surround Tech mentality and character

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He works for the SEC Network. What’s he supposed to say?
I find a difference in "works for" and "sell your soul for". There is plenty of the latter about these days. (And if he is a paid SEC shill, that fact ought to be made clear every time he is on TV. That seems fair not to mention honest: "The following is a paid advertisement for Alabama and the SEC." )

Only a shill could take a 28-point dismissal that could easily have been 35 points or more had not Dabo gone into the tank the last quarter, garaging his Maserati and jump-starting his 1948 John Deere for that last drive, and Alabama still quit on him. My around-the-horn point involves, I suppose, the honor of competition. He and his got waxed by a very sound football team, outcoached by a better prepared HC, DC and OCs, and Finebaum attempted to steal very hard-earned respect with the "we wuz worn out" routine. Alabama was worn out all right, because the genius Saban would not trust the development of a bench, while that loopy Clemson fellow routinely played 50 and more players every game, and even replaced an all-American defensive lineman with one who was better. Saban's crew played 15 games. Clemson's crew played parts of 15 games. Who do you think would be fresher?

It is a very long way to say that Finebaum behaved like a shill while denying he is a shill -- he has a "show", don't you know? -- and passed off propaganda as expertise. My old DI would have told him what is at the bottom of an ocean.

Now you went and provoked me.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The quoter was kind.

What Dabo actually said was, "in the not-too-long ago future."
I know he is Clemson and all that, but you got to love the guy. Every summer he loads up his boys and a couple of close friends and they jaunt to various cities where they might play some basketball in Houston, or take batting practice in Yankee Stadium, or just shoot the breeze with major league managers and NFL coaches. Then that brief interlude over, he goes back to coaching football and chasing another NC. He seems to know something about a balanced life. (And at $10 mill a year plus his investment income, he can afford a lot of balance.) The other day he said that, "When I grow up it is going to be awesome."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The earlier post cited Finebaum who discussed Tech with respect to the last seven years.
Okay. Finebaum the cherry picker explains it. Actually I think the last three are relevant, but any explanation of the record has to, in fairness, account for the full tenure and the accomplishments that came in addition to whatever the winning record was. (I saw a piece off an Alabama message board today, by the way, that scours the ground with excuses for a thin (depth) team at Alabama. Too many seniors, and too many early-NFLers, so the excuses are made. I need to let Finebaum go, don't I?)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I guess if you think 54% is 'in the gutter', we'll have to disagree.

Room for improvement, but there's plenty of room to drop.
V knows, I know and u know if u arent mad that you are average, u will never be excellent. Excellent goes thru demanding good.

With the 12 game season 2 crib games are "the dont fire the coach - we are over 500" job savers. If you are 500 w 2 free games, u suck unless u have 2 stud games every year. .

I really am interested in checking out the record of bill lewis. I am wondering if his first 2 years were really that bad. I do remember listening to games and his teams seemed to fold.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Okay. Finebaum the cherry picker explains it. Actually I think the last three are relevant, but any explanation of the record has to, in fairness, account for the full tenure and the accomplishments that came in addition to whatever the winning record was. (I saw a piece off an Alabama message board today, by the way, that scours the ground with excuses for a thin (depth) team at Alabama. Too many seniors, and too many early-NFLers, so the excuses are made. I need to let Finebaum go, don't I?)

I don’t think there was any science behind it. Seven years. Nine years. 15 years. We typically run 57%.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
V knows, I know and u know if u arent mad that you are average, u will never be excellent. Excellent goes thru demanding good.

With the 12 game season 2 crib games are "the dont fire the coach - we are over 500" job savers. If you are 500 w 2 free games, u suck unless u have 2 stud games every year. .

I really am interested in checking out the record of bill lewis. I am wondering if his first 2 years were really that bad. I do remember listening to games and his teams seemed to fold.
He was 10-12 the first two years and 1-7 the third when he got fired. The guy Tech should have hired was Steve Logan, who actually created and ran his offense at ECU.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Marc Richt said something similar, what’s his ulterior motive?

Better yet here’s Trey Braun’s take. He’s drinking Kool Aid too.

I love Trey, but he's wrong on this. How do we not have the "bandwidth" to prepare for a scheme we've seen every damn day for 11 years?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I love Trey, but he's wrong on this. How do we not have the "bandwidth" to prepare for a scheme we've seen every damn day for 11 years?
For what it's worth, we allowed 17 points in regulation on drives not extended by dead ball penalties.

We were on the field even longer aided by more dead ball penalties.

I would have been fine, not thrilled, by 17 points over 9 drives. Would have likely been enough even with the current state of our offense.